Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Parent meetings

Posted 07-02-2015 10:23

i noticed in the discussion of cast and crew communication, several people mention the parent meeting after the show is cast. I always struggle getting parents to attend. I get the same 6 parents each time. Would anyone care to share their experience in building this up to be a common aspect of their program. 

------------------------------
    Scott Hasbrouck
    Wheat Ridge CO

• 2.  RE: Parent meetings

Posted 07-02-2015 15:16

HI-

(The following information is for my mainstage productions when auditions are open to the entire school.) I have a required audition packet that each student must fill out prior to audition. In that packet is a contract that must be read and signed by both students and parents and must be turned in at the audition.  A student may not audition without the signed contract.  The contract states exact expectations of both students and parents and when and where the mandatory parent meeting is taking place.    I usually hold the meeting at 6pm after our first rehearsal/read-through with students.  If a parent is unable to make the meeting, they are required to contact me.  Honestly, I have always done this, even when I was a freelance director.  Anytime I am working with youth, I recruit parents.  I also charge a non-refundable production fee (stated in the contract) due at the parent meeting which also solidifies commitment.  I usually only have a few parents who are unable to show up to the meeting and that was even with 65 people in a cast this year when we did Seussical.  

I am happy to share any of my information with you.  I know this can be a controversial subject among theatre arts' teachers because some teachers want absolutely no parent involvement and feel it takes away from the students' learning experience , and they have my respect.  For my classroom productions, and all of my classes have a production and perform on the stage each semester, I work solely with the students-no parents except for selling tickets.  

For my mainstage productions; however, I have found that my parents are amazing and professional. My technical students draw up the plans and come up with ideas. The parents also become part of the production team to help them bring these ideas to fruition. I have my main students and key parents  on the production team and they are over other students and volunteers. The parents come and teach my students so many things--such as how to marble stairs or a column, or how to build a cool machine. The students work beside and with the adults and learn from them.  AND--it also helps with audience attendance because the parents are fully vested in the performance, they get out there and help advertise. Now, I live in a very low-income area, but I continue to have amazing support.

Sandy Stones
    Mesa AZ

• 3.  RE:Parent meetings

Posted 07-02-2015 15:59
    I understand your perspective, and you have my total respect. I feel like this is a largely cultural (and I do not mean to imply that there is any racial distinction in this, merely a structure of societal norms) situation. My first school that I taught at had very very little parent support. If I had required parents to attend a meeting, I would not have had a program. Most refused to pick up their children from rehearsals, come to shows, and actively tried to convince their children to quit as it was "a waste of time." At that school, the most parents I ever had in back to school night was about 15 out of 200 even when the school was offering crazy incentives for attendance. My second school has more parent participation; I actually have a small booster club. Still, I have several amazing students whose parents are not at all supportive. My VP this year has never had a parent come to a show. When we did 12 Angry Jurors, she was watching the movie at home and her mom asked why she was watching an old black and white movie. She got excited and started telling her mom about the show. When she asked if her mom wanted to come watch her, her mom laughed at her and said, "Why would I do that?" In fact, had I required parental attendance at a meeting, her parents would have been delighted that their non-attendance meant she could not participate . It's awesome that you have been able to create a culture in which the parents understand that it is best if they are in the loop. Do you have any advice for creating such a culture?

-------------------------------------------
    Heather Brandon
    Bakersfield CA
    -------------------------------------------

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 4.  RE: Parent meetings

Posted 07-02-2015 16:01

It might depend on the community culture. Going into my third year, I am slowly starting to get more parents involved. I think a parent meeting after casting is a great idea, but I think that many of my parents wouldn't be too motivated to attend, apart from the same 'six'. I would love to hear how other teachers work to create buy-in and participation from parents. We do seem to snag several after awards/induction night, but its tricky to hang on. 

How do others do it, other than moving into a helicopter parent school. :)

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 5.  RE: Parent meetings

Posted 07-03-2015 13:00

As you shared in your post, a key to the parent meeting is to make it an expectation.  I announce it at the first cast and crew meetings, it is included in preliminary communications home, posted on the school and show websites and listed on the school calendar.  I hold it in our Gathering Area and provide snacks and refreshments.

However, what really draws parents in the opportunity for them to be actively involved in their students experience. At this meeting, in addition to introducing the production team and cast and crew, we outline a large number of areas in which parents can participate in putting on the show:

* providing snacks / meals for rehearsals

* costume assistance

* work bees (for sets etc.)

* bus driving

* promotion

* front of house

* coordinating volunteers

* sponsorship

A couple of years back my vice principal attended the parent meeting and she was overwhelmed with how pleased the majority of parents were to be asked to spend time assisting once their students reached high school.  And many of their parents work alongside their students at work bees and promotional events.  It builds huge buy-in on the family's behalf.

Sept. 28th is the date this year for the cast and crew of BIG - it's on the calendar!

William Jacobsen
    Red Deer AB

• 6.  RE: Parent meetings

Posted 07-04-2015 10:25

I'll keep it simple. If the parent culture is not there, create it. Make your "six" a parent drama board, and require a parent meeting the Monday after auditions before the first rehearsal. If a parent does not show, they must contact you or the child will be recast. In exchange, I give them a full rehearsal schedule (with end times!) at that meeting. My first 10 years I barely involved parents, now I can't imagine doing it without them. A valuable resource.  

Jake Dreiling
    Atlanta GA