Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  YoungArts

Posted 06-22-2015 09:36

Anyone know anything about the National Young Arts Foundation? I have a student who wants to apply for it, and I was initially skeptical because of the application fee.  However, after further research, I've come to the conclusion that it is reputable, but I still wanted to check here and what kind of experiences other theatre teachers might have had with it... 

http://www.youngarts.org/apply#discipline_theater.html

------------------------------
    Lee Daugherty
    Mt. Vernon High School
    Alexandria VA

• 2.  RE: YoungArts

Posted 06-23-2015 07:19

I had a student about 6 years ago that participated in the U.S. Presidential Young Arts Scholarship.  He was a finalist and went to Washington.  It was a great experience for him.  He now sings opera in Chicago.

John Freeman

Mount de Sales Academy
    Theatre Director / Fine Arts Director
    Macon GA

• 3.  RE: YoungArts

Posted 06-23-2015 10:34

Yes! This is a great opportunity for students. I agree my students who have participated have gone on to pursue their art on the professional level. It provides a wonderful chance to work with and be connected to the best in the nation.

Karin Stratton
    Director / Instructor
    MSD of Pike Township
    Indianapolis IN

• 4.  RE: YoungArts

Posted 06-23-2015 11:40

The National YoungArts Foundation (you probably remember it under its previous name the National Foundation for Advancement in the Arts, or NFAA) is a talent-based scholarship program. It is the flagship program of the National YoungArts Foundation. The program is considered by many to be the most prestigious competition for young adults; it is also the exclusive nominating organization for the U.S. Presidential Scholars of the Arts. I was honored to be selected by my student who was a Presidential Arts Scholar a few years ago to attend the ceremony in Washington DC as 
    The National YoungArts Foundation (previously the National Foundation for Advancement in the Arts, or NFAA) is a talent-based scholarship program which honors and awards high school and college students, mostly American, for their prowess in the performing, visual and literary arts. It is the flagship program of the National YoungArts Foundation. The program is considered by many to be the most prestigious arts competition for young adults; it is also the exclusive nominating organization for the U.S. Presidential Scholars of the Arts. I was honored a few years ago by my student who was a Presidential Arts Scholar with the Teacher Recognition Award at a dinner in D.C.
    Phillip Rayher
    Director, Theatre Dept.
    Ruth Asawa San Francisco School of the Arts
    San Francisco CA

• 5.  RE: YoungArts

Posted 06-23-2015 12:11

Several years ago, I had a student do it and win!  I was selected to be the Presidential Scholar teacher. My student and I were honored at a luncheon at the White House with tea on the lawn, and spent 5 days as guests of young arts touring the city and meeting with officials, with a culminating performance at the Kennedy Center,  one of the coolest experiences of my career! 
    Laurel Cohen
    Saratoga CA