Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Pippin Fire Box

Posted 06-20-2015 09:08

Hi. We are doing Pippin this fall, and it would be greatly appreciated if anyone out there could supply input regarding the fire box used at the end of the show. It is supposed to be 'scary'. Apologies if this question has been asked a lot.  

------------------------------
    Marcus Olson
    Director of Theatre
    The Hotchkiss School
    Lakeville CT

• 2.  RE: Pippin Fire Box

Posted 06-21-2015 10:44

Hello.  I've done Pippin twice (2008 and 2014), and I approached the fire box differently both times.  In 2008, we built an 8'x8' platform extension off the front of the stage (no pit in our theatre).  We then put a trap door in the center and used flashing red lights and smoke from below.  When the Player demonstrates the pit, we dressed two actors alike.  One jumped into the pit (and stayed there through the end of the show) while the double "reappeared" up stage in a down spot.  

In 2014, we built a large box that looked like an animal cage from a circus.  It had PVC bars across the front and door.  Inside, it had a false, partial bottom to conceal red and strobe lights and a partial false back concealed by silver, mylar curtains.  During the trick, we pumped in smoke and ran the lights at full strobe.  The Player screamed and reached through the bars as if he was melting, there was then a short blackout of that  area, and then snuck out the back to reappear on the opposite side of the stage.  The 2014 effect was much scarier but also much more difficult to pull off because of the additional construction and materials.  The 2008 effect still worked and would be my choice especially if you have a pit and/or limited construction resources.  

Gary Hicks
    Atlanta GA