Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Lesson Plans

Posted 06-16-2015 12:25

I am a first year teacher taking over an established troupe. I am on the lookout for lesson plans. Especially for my theater fundamentals class (beginning drama). Administration wants more in seat work and worksheet type plans. Any that you would like to share would be greatly appreciated. 

------------------------------
    Josh Sinyard
    Teacher

• 2.  RE: Lesson Plans

Posted 06-17-2015 10:59

More seat time?! Wow. I don't have much that is done in the way of worksheets. Almost everything is based around a performing aspect. I do have a single page article and worksheet on the origins of theatre that I use in my Theatre I class. Shoot an email (I feel like I've bee saying this alot ;)) and I 'll send it to you when I'm back at work. I'll also see if I have anything else that might be of use.

Are your administration willing to have assignments that have written components but are still based in performing? I have a lot more in the way of this type of assignment than worksheets.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Lesson Plans

Posted 06-18-2015 10:00

More seat time and work sheets does seem contrary to what I am hearing. I'm told I lecture too much. Still when it is time to deliver some important elements of the history of theatre this is what I fall back on. I do have some short quizzes I Greek theatre, Medeival theatre, and Shalespeare. Also on certain plays. Not much but a starting point. 

imhave these and more saved on the PC at home as word docs. Email me if you are interested. 

Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS

Denver, CO

Shasbrou@aol.com

• 4.  RE: Lesson Plans

Posted 06-18-2015 16:49

There's a good book called Introduction to Theatre Arts Student Handbook by Suzi Zimmerman that has some neat ideas in it.  One thing that Zimmerman does that you can adapt to your own plans is that she has good bellringer, mini lecture, and worksheet ideas that go along with performances and other sorts of projects.  I would buy the book and look at her units, see if you can't take the things you like about her style and adapt it to your own projects.

I used to be solely an on your feet workshop oriented guy; now, I can see the value for some students of reading about something before they do it, or reflecting on something while they work on the creation --- having notes for things, worksheets that sort of thing, I think that helps some students, but I would try to tie things together with up on your feet projects.

Hope that helps.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 5.  Lesson Plans - Drama 1

Posted 06-18-2015 11:47

Very surprising to read that a Drama teacher is urged to create more seated instruction lessons, but as a matter of front-loading the vocabulary and performance, production, or literary elements-- clarifying learning targets--perhaps you can prepare guides for viewing brief visual surveys or videos. These could be note-taking exercises that follow theatre instruction on voice training, stage movement/blocking, theatre tech fundamentals, theatre history--all as separate units, of course, over the term.

Following most of these short loading activities, the students could be engaged in the physical training, the movement (including short readings, monologues, duets), then the hands-on tech applications or simulations with artwork, scale models, or designs, and even the preparation of historical period scene work that highlights distinctive features.
    Dan Barrett
    Teacher
    Bullitt County Public Schools
    Mount Washington, KY