Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Mary Poppins

Posted 05-29-2015 23:06

Hi,

I'm licensed to put up Mary Poppins fall of 2015. I know High Schools around the country have already produced the show.  Does anyone have paperwork they would share with me?  I.e. prop list, shift plot, rehearsal schedules, costume plot, set plot, etc.  Your generosity would be most appreciated as I work on the show over the summer.  Also, any leads or suggestions on the magic tricks and prop rental for the show would be appreciated too.  Thank you sharing!

------------------------------
    Russell Saxton
    Drama Teacher
    Washington County School District
    St George UT

• 2.  RE: Mary Poppins

Posted 05-30-2015 07:11

I would also be deeply appreciative of any information as I will be licensed to do Mary Poppins in Aprl 2016.  I wonder how many productions there will be out there? 
    Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 3.  RE: Mary Poppins

Posted 05-30-2015 08:30

I just produced and directed Mary Poppins this past April.  It was an incredible show to put up and energized our whole school community drawing record crowds and much lasting enthusiasm. My best advice is to not feel compelled to reproduce a set similar to any of the professional shows, like the rotating open/close doll house.  The story is so strong and the audience imagination so capable, it works better than I dreamed to venture out of the box.  I would be glad to share the "paperwork" you requested if you email me and how we created special effects, statue costumes, etc.  We did hire Flying by Foy and they know exactly how to make things optimal in your space for Mary, Bert, and Miss Andrew flying bits.  So glad you are doing this show!

Paula Flautt
    CPA Artistic Director
    Nashville TN

• 4.  RE: Mary Poppins

Posted 06-01-2015 00:40

Thank you for your replay to my post regarding Mary Poppins.  Any information you might share is immensely appreciated.  Please contact me at:  russ.saxton@washk12.org  Thank You!

Russell Saxton
    Drama Teacher
    St George UT

• 5.  RE: Mary Poppins

Posted 05-30-2015 11:41

Hello--we staged MP in March.  I'd also be happy to share paperwork.  Just e-mail me with what exactly you need.  We are renting our costumes which we built if you are interested--including a whole steampunk look for Mrs. Corey's shop in SUPERCAL.  and many of the more magical props--like the carpet bag  and the  stuff she pulls out--we had a standing lamp that lit up when Mary snapped, a flower arrangement that opened up, the hat stand, of course.  We also have an unfrosted cake that magically becomes frosted for  "Spoonful of Sugar."  We used ZFX to fly--we have no fly loft--but they made it happen-- including having Mary fly over our house  Bert's proscenium walk.  We also flew the kids during "Anything Can Happen."  You can check out pics on our website:  appletonnorththeatre.com .  It's such a wonderful show and definitely will resonate with your audience!

Ron Parker
    Appleton WI

• 6.  RE: Mary Poppins

Posted 06-01-2015 00:41

Thank you for your replay to my post regarding Mary Poppins.  Any information you might share is immensely appreciated.  Please contact me at:  russ.saxton@washk12.org  Thank You!

Russell Saxton
    Drama Teacher
    St George UT

• 7.  RE: Mary Poppins

Posted 05-30-2015 23:15

Hi Russell,

I can share several docs with you. I have things to rent as well. If you contact me at cortesis@district87.org I will send you what I have. It's the hardest show I have ever done. Be prepared!

Susan

Susan Cortesi
    Director of Theatre
    District 87
    Bloomington IL

• 8.  RE: Mary Poppins

Posted 05-31-2015 08:45

Here is our website for the show.  http://marypoppinsphs.weebly.com/  You can find documents and sketches, pics, and other ideas on there.  It is a monster of show.  So freely take any ideas you want from us.  

Allen Price
    California MD

• 9.  RE: Mary Poppins

Posted 06-01-2015 02:50

I just closed Mary Poppins in May.  Incredible story written so well.  I used Flying by Foy and they are so easy to work with!  Book early, as they are getting many requests. I used Scenographics' set design,which was terrific. At first, I wasn't sure about their design, but once I got it in my head, and saw actors on it, I must say it really works well. The magic cupboard is part of their plans. I rented costumes from Norcostco, another great company.  Friendly...reasonably priced...high quality garments....I failed at finding a glimmering starry sky drop, but have read in other posts that Rosebrand rents a glitter star curtain, so check that out. I built in more choreography sessions than usual, because "precision and order" are needed in the bank numbers and in Step in Time. Precision only comes with practice. Have fun!!  

Barbara Maier
    Teacher
    Thunder Mountain High School
    Auke Bay AK

• 10.  RE: Mary Poppins

Posted 06-01-2015 08:01

Hall Associates Flying Effects can provide you with world class flying. Their pricing is all inclusive. No additions for travel, shipping, and lodging. Www.flyingfx.com

Troy Trinkle
    Avon IN