Open Forum

View Only

Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre

• 1.  Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre

Posted 05-28-2015 07:05

In the fall we are going to do our first Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre as a fundraiser for our Spring Musical. I am looking for both script suggestions and any advice you have on the dinner aspect of the show. I'd prefer not to do a musical (though some music elements are fine) as I want to give my non-singing actors some serious stage time. Thanks for your brilliance!

------------------------------
    April Fritts
    Teacher
    Cecil County Public Schools
    Havre de Grace MD

• 2.  RE: Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre

Posted 05-29-2015 14:58

Hi April! These threads might help you:

Mystery Dinner

Dinner Theatre Help

Murder Mystery Suggestions

Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY

• 3.  RE: Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre

Posted 06-01-2015 08:27

Thank you Ginny!

April Fritts
    Teacher
    Havre de Grace MD

• 4.  RE: Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre

Posted 05-29-2015 15:13

I know of schools who have done this as a murder mystery dinner theatre and it worked out great!  We didn't do it as a dinner theatre, but we had a lot of fun with it!

http://www.pioneerdrama.com/SearchDetail.asp?pc=DEATHABOAR&id=0

Chelsea Petty
    Columbus MS

• 5.  RE: Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre

Posted 06-01-2015 08:27

Thank you Chelsea!

April Fritts
    Teacher
    Havre de Grace MD

• 6.  RE: Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre

Posted 05-29-2015 17:03

One of my favorite murder mystery plays is Death By Dessert.  Set in a building with two competing italian restrauants run by two competing families, the landlord is murdered (and yet narrates the story) while the audience has to figure it out.  Complete farce, and great fun.  Heuer publishing, hitplays.com.

Richard Shultz
    Derby KS

• 7.  RE: Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre

Posted 06-01-2015 08:28

Thank you Richard!

April Fritts
    Teacher
    Havre de Grace MD

• 8.  RE: Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre

Posted 05-31-2015 15:46

Murder Me Always by Lee Mueller.

We did it this past year and it was a huge hit.  He will supply you with a PDF to print as many copies as needed.  The playwright has several other Murder Mystery plays to choose from also.  Below is a link:

http://www.play-dead.com/mysteryscripts/murdermealways.html

Scott Cooney
    Medford Lakes NJ

• 9.  RE: Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre

Posted 06-01-2015 08:28

Thank you Scott!

April Fritts
    Teacher
    Havre de Grace MD

• 10.  RE: Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre

Posted 06-02-2015 08:08

Mysteries By Moushey

Mysteriesbymoushey remove preview

Mysteries By Moushey
    For over 20 years, we've presented interactive comedy-mysteries throughout the Midwest. These were so successful that we made our scripts available to theatres, schools, and other mystery-lovers. To date, over 1,300 groups around the world have used Moushey scripts and production packages to produce their own mysteries.
    View this on Mysteriesbymoushey >

Every year for the past decade we have performed a mystery-comedy-improv by Eileen Moushey.  Read some samples at Mysteries By Moushey.  My kids have a great time with them!

Mysteriesbymoushey remove preview

Mysteries By Moushey
    For over 20 years, we've presented interactive comedy-mysteries throughout the Midwest. These were so successful that we made our scripts available to theatres, schools, and other mystery-lovers. To date, over 1,300 groups around the world have used Moushey scripts and production packages to produce their own mysteries.
    View this on Mysteriesbymoushey >

[William] [Myatt] [Drama Director]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 11.  RE: Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre

Posted 06-02-2015 08:57

Depending on how elaborate a set you are able to produce, by far the best comedy murder mystery I ever read/saw/produced is "But Why Bump Off Barnaby?", by Rick Abbott. As I said, the set is very complicated, involving half a dozen entryways, a revolve, some complex pieces of art (which you must create), and a very special table. But it will have the audience screaming with both laughter and fear. Great show!  Good luck!

If you choose to do it, message me--we came up with some very clever twists, particularly with the artwork (one of which spawned a now-20-year tradition!).

Mike Corliss

mcorliss@livoniapublicschools.org
    Michael Corliss
    Livonia MI

• 12.  RE: Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre

Posted 06-02-2015 10:21

Last year, I did THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD as a dinner theatre experience. Worth a look...

Stephen Scherer
    Denver CO

• 13.  RE: Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre

Posted 06-03-2015 07:55

For a dinner cabaret style variety show I teamed up with our advanced foods class teacher. We split profits since he had to make back what he spent on food, etc. but Itwas a great hit. The school I am in now doesn't have a foods program which is very sad. 

Scott Hasbrouck
    Wheat Ridge CO

• 14.  RE: Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre

Posted 06-05-2015 14:32

We ran a very successful murder mystery dinner theatre event last August and we're doing it again this summer. The kids love it. It's not a lot of work for me and we learned a lot that first year. A friend of mine is a very talented playwright who personally writes (and tailors) scripts specifically for us. He's a gem! His name is Bill Daniel. For anyone interested in learning more about this gifted young man, please email him. You won't be sorry!

the.bill.daniel@gmail.com

Last year, we did a murder mystery play he wrote called "The Shape of Murder" in which our school mascot was the victim. This year, our murder mystery play is called "Chewing Gumshoes" and it involved Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys and other junior detectives trying to solve a murder in a style similar to the movie "Murder By Death." His plays are full of fun and improvisation with the audience. I could go on and on! Email me for more info, April! I would love to share with you what we've learned.

kellsangie@dist156.org

Angie Kells
    A.P. Admin. Assistant & Drama Director
    McHenry IL

• 15.  RE: Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre

Posted 07-13-2016 10:33

We do a mystery dinner theatre every fall! We've done a few scripts from Pioneer for it, but I wanted to address the other part of your question. For the dinner aspect, we work with the culinary arts program at our high school. That way, we split the proceeds. We've had great success with it as we're pulling from two different student-family pools and it really gets the community involved.

Alan Kinsey
    Teacher
    Clinton Junior High
    Clinton MS