Open Forum

View Only

Fall Play & Spring Musical suggestions

• 1.  Fall Play & Spring Musical suggestions

Posted 05-23-2015 06:19

I would really like some suggestions on plays and musicals that don't require elaborate sets (we are performing in a gymatorium and I'm a one person ran program). As far as talent goes I have really attracted and build the program enough to attract amazing male and female actors and our auditorium is now in the process of being built. The ideal show would be 12-20 characters. Recently, I received a little direction from our administration, because even though our production of Almost, Maine was a hit, some went to great lengths to get the show cancelled due to the scene that suggested homosexuality. So I am being advised to not pick any heavy topics or controversial ideas, because now we have more attention drawn to the program.

Fall plays that have worked well with our small stage are: The Curious Savage & Almost, Maine. I have been looking into 12 Angry Jurrors (I'm just afraid it ma seem boring), and Harvey (but I'm worried this won't showcase very many people).

Musicals- we are looking at 7 Brides for 7 Brothers & She Loves Me, but I have never seen She Loves Me (just read it was suggested on here) and the more I look into 7 Brides I dislike the idea that only 1 male and 1 female are showcased & the elaborate dancing...however I lost my big help musically and so I need to can consider shows that I can make work knowing we have limited time, limited help, limited staging, and most likely 10 snow days to work around. I would prefer not a tiny cast, because I don't want to lose the guys or even the large amount of interest we currently have (since that is the only thing working for me). 

------------------------------
    Sam
    Theatre teacher/Drama Director

• 2.  RE:Fall Play & Spring Musical suggestions

Posted 05-23-2015 20:42
    I did Twelve Angry Jurors this year and it is FAR from boring. My actors were exhausted at the end of each performance because of the high emotional intensity and most of my audience described watching it as keeping them on the edge of their seats. We did it in the round, so the audience was incredibly close to the action (no one was more than 10 feet away from the actors). I highly recommend the show, it was by far one of the best directing experiences I've had.

-------------------------------------------
    Heather Brandon
    Bakersfield CA

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 3.  RE: Fall Play & Spring Musical suggestions

Posted 05-28-2015 08:56

I also directed Twelve Angry Jurors in arena style seating which worked very well.  Many in south Florida had never seen any show in arena style seating so it was a great educational event for the audience as well as my actors. Last year, we staged Our Town in 3/4 which also worked quite well and its cast size is relatively small.

I, too, struggle with selecting musicals since I am in a Catholic school and my women outnumber my men 4 to 1.  

Jerry Seeger
    Director Of Drama
    Plantation FL

• 4.  RE: Fall Play & Spring Musical suggestions

Posted 05-24-2015 06:03

How about Seussical as your musical? Great show. Lots of featured parts. The only possible difficulty might be Maisy and the explanation of the egg she eventually cons Horton into taking care of. But it is Dr. seuss after all. My kids absolutely loved it and the overall message.

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 5.  RE: Fall Play & Spring Musical suggestions

Posted 05-25-2015 07:56

I have looked into Suessical, but from the clips I have watched I thought the set might be a little demanding? As stated in my first post we have a small gym stage that we have to utilize until the auditorium is built with limited wing space. 

Samantha Roop
    Theatre Teacher/ Play & Musical Director

• 6.  RE: Fall Play & Spring Musical suggestions

Posted 05-26-2015 06:07

The set for Seussical need not be complicated or elaborate at all. With smart staging and colorful costumes, it could be done with virtually no scenery. We did it with a simple unit set and a single small platform on wheels. Everything was faced with plywood that was painted to look like pages from a Dr Seuss book. We used toys for all the props. The cast was onstage throughout the performance. I'd highly recommend the show as it's fun and very sweet.
    Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    Alexandria VA

• 7.  RE: Fall Play & Spring Musical suggestions

Posted 05-26-2015 07:46

Actually, we did Seussical with a few platforms, a few ladders, so) me scaffolding and black curtain as our backdrop. The costumes provided color. Everything else was a hand prop or a simple piece of furniture. (A desk for the judge, and the same desk decorated differently on the backside to have JoJo write his letter home on.) I don't know if that helps? 
    Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 8.  RE: Fall Play & Spring Musical suggestions

Posted 05-26-2015 08:20

Don't count out Seussical. I think it's perfect for your venue. I've seen it many times done in a space like yours and it works fine. I don't know what clips you've looked at, but it really doesn't need much set-wise. I have a sancta-gymna-torium (sanctuary for church first, athletics second, and an auditorium for fine arts last). The 'stage' was built for church services, so there are no wings. You walk off the stage, turn, and go down some steps and out. The teacher before me did Seussical the year before I came and it worked fine with just Horton's tree kept upstage until needed and other small pieces brought in for just those scenes. Go for it!!!

Gail Bartell
    Altamonte Springs FL

• 9.  RE: Fall Play & Spring Musical suggestions

Posted 05-26-2015 08:30

I saw a junior high version of Seussical that used a set of choral risers to the left and right and a platform up middle with cardboard cut outs of the various things the cat in the hat needed to appear behind. They built the nest on a taller lifeguard type stand that could move when needed. It is very doable!

Also look at Spelling Bee. It has alternatives to the inappropriate material and can be made cleaner for family viewing.

Susan Cortesi
    Director of Theatre
    District 87
    Bloomington IL

• 10.  RE: Fall Play & Spring Musical suggestions

Posted 05-25-2015 01:13

Just a few things to think about:

1. There will always be someone complaining about something content

-wise. Have a mandatory parent meeting right after casting and lay it all out. Those who object to the material can opt out at that time. 

2. Who says you can't have elaborate sets in a gymatorium? Put some tarps down if they're afraid of marring the floor if you have to. Any space can be a fabulous venue. If you have the means, you can even create your own stage floor from platforms. Hang lights from the basketball goals (who hasn't?) 

3. Almost Maine is not that controversial.  Your community needs to wake up to the 21st century.  Homosexuality is more accepted now  

Jake Dreiling
    Atlanta GA

• 11.  RE: Fall Play & Spring Musical suggestions

Posted 05-26-2015 08:33

In this unique situation with Almost, Maine they had the choice to withdrawal which they most certainly did, then it was there goal to get the production cancelled and when the BOE reviewed it and did not cancel the show... They then went to the news and local paper which gave the story enough attention that I am being told I have to either A-pick the safest shows possible and B- they would like to start a selection committee to prevent this from ever happening in the futur. It was one of the most ridiculous things I have ever been a part of and now they are more picky about what I select when they never payed attention until now. 

2- elaborate sets- I am just trying to select something I can do well bring a one person ran operation. Since basketball season and gym classes use the faculty during the day and right before we use it for rehearsal it is hard to utilize the gym floor or anything that is not part of the stage. We do have lights and a sound system and a tiny stage in the gym. It's kind of hard to explain... If you see our amazing football field or state of the art basketball gym you might be able to understand the priorities more.

This will be my fifth year in the district and we have new administration, so I've been told no more than I ever have, since the Almost, Maine complaint... My class enrollment is up 400 percent and my program went from non-existing to having I think around 75 ITS members, so I'm just riding it out until the auditorium is built by trying to select shows with under 20 cast size and a one unit set, so we don't interfere anymore than we have to the 2-3 weeks we share the gym with sports and PE classes.

Samantha Roop 

• 12.  RE: Fall Play & Spring Musical suggestions

Posted 05-27-2015 10:19

Samantha,

I feel your pain. I did "City of Angels" last year, received violent threats against me, and since then I no longer have final say on which shows I produce. My administration are supportive, just scared for their own jobs, as they are the ones who get in trouble when I get complaints. I did "She Kills Monsters" for a One Act Festival, won the festival, but it wasn't allowed to be performed on the mainstage because of all the controversial subject matter (gay characters, Dungeons & Dragons being "evil," etc). I am trying again with the playwright's newest high school version of the show, which is much less controversial. We'll see how it goes. If that doesn't work, I am going with "The Curious Savage (which is a great show with no controversy, and can be done with a simple set, and has more girls than guys in the cast)."

The only way I would be able to do "Almost, Maine" would be to cut out the "Falling" scene entirely from the show.

I can't even do "Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon" by Don Zolidis because the second act has the Devil and a Witch. Even mentioning those subjects is taboo around my community, even if they are hilariously portrayed.

Steve Skelcey
    Colorado Springs CO

• 13.  RE: Fall Play & Spring Musical suggestions

Posted 05-28-2015 11:43

I really enjoyed working on The Curious Savage and I think it's an excellent choice if you have some females to showcase. It is one of the shows that I would like to do again somewhere down the line (If I stick with theatre education).  I did ask if I needed to cut the scene in Almost, Maine, but I was told it would be fine and later realized that a southern Baptist church went a little overboard with their concerns.  It is truly sad that our adults cannot be as open minded as our students. I mean gay people doing theatre??? That never happens. I was then told not to cast Mrs. White as a male in Clue- because we would get complaints about cross-dressing.. so I do feel your pain. This year I have really good male actors, so I just want to pick something that would not just highlight the females.

Samantha Roop
    Theatre Teacher/ Play & Musical Director/ Head Coach

• 14.  RE: Fall Play & Spring Musical suggestions

Posted 05-25-2015 08:08

For a light musical, consider Alexander and the Terrible Day!  It's more childlren's theater  but has fun styling.  The only thing you have to have is a bed!  We did a lot with boxes.  Actors actually play the sink, and different stage pieces.  It is an ensemble cast.  A big cast show we did and loved but doesn't get much press was Annie Get Your Gun.  It is inspirational learning about the real Annie Oakley who actually saved her family from starvation by being an amazing shot.  There is a youtube clip of a high school who used rotating flats that had bill board signs on it.  We used their idea and those pieces are generic background for many scenes.  The toughest part is the "trick shot" toward the end of the 1st act. 

Valerie Scott
    Duluth GA

• 15.  RE: Fall Play & Spring Musical suggestions

Posted 05-26-2015 07:45

I've been there!  Cafeteria theatre!!

As for straight theatre...shows with very simple sets are often hard to find, but that doesn't mean any show can't be done simply...good theatre doesn't require all of the flash, or it shouldn't! 

Below is a list of shows that can be done very simply and survive a gymnasium!! Also, plays with a good number of both males and females!  They are also plays that I love!!  I'm not going to suggest plays that I don't!  :)

Women and War by Jack Hilton Cunningham - I am in love with this play.  I suggest you buy both the full-length and one-act scripts.  The full length was written as reader's theatre and only for four women and one man, but it has more pieces!  The one-act was developed as a fully staged production with a larger cast.  Both give you a good idea of how to proceed. I did both the full and the one-act as fully staged productions and would be happy to share with you.  Just remember, if you do read it and love it, that letters between couples don't have to be two people looking at pieces of paper...we turned them into conversations - it was a very lovely play and our community (and students) truly embraced it.

The Diviners & Anatomy of Gray - Jim Leonard, Jr. - Samuel French - both can be done simply and are beautiful pieces of theatre.  11 - 12 actors, but I've heard of some productions adding ensemble - not sure how that works for the Diviners, but I can see it for Anatomy of Gray.

Cobweb Dreams - Lindsay Price - Theatrefolk - large cast, but doubling is possible and many of the characters are gender neutral. - This story line runes parallel to A Midsummer Night's Dream so it is set in the woods - can be easily staged!!  Costuming is so much fun for this show...so you can focus on that and not so much on a set! 

Now, going a little old school, you mentioned the Curious Savage - have you looked at You Can't Take It With You?  Lots of quirky characters and the set is a living room, but who says you need walls!  Furniture will put you in the right place!! 

To Kill a Mockingbird - large cast - doesn't require a large set...

Okay, as for Suessical-  I have seen it performed very simply set...a few platforms and that is all it really requires...make the costumes fun and you don't have to worry about the set so much.  You can do the same with Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat - the show doesn't require all of the trappings of a set - I used colorful levels and didn't try to recreate new locations each time...it wasn't necessary. 

Honestly, I think any theatre can be produced simply if we let go of the idea of spectacle!  Sometimes spectacle is great, but in the end, good theatre is what matters most!  Wishing you all the best!

Carolyn Cork Greer
    Owensboro KY

• 16.  RE: Fall Play & Spring Musical suggestions

Posted 05-28-2015 09:29

Thank you for your response! I have looked at Women and War, but I wasn't sure how to incorporate more male roles, because I have several males this year who could really pull off anything (so I think that was why I scratched it off of my list).  I am very interested in learning more about the way you directed and performed it.  Please tell me more;)

Samantha Roop

• 17.  RE: Fall Play & Spring Musical suggestions

Posted 05-26-2015 14:50

I Never Saw Another Butterfly is a beautiful play.  Great cast size and doesn't require an elaborate set.  You can use a projector and display images from the book and/or actual pictures during the play to help tell the story.  The National Holocaust Memorial Day is January 27th.  It would be neat to collaborate with your history teachers and perform it on or close to that day.  

Michelle Moss
    Arkansas Chapter Director
    Jonesboro AR

• 18.  RE: Fall Play & Spring Musical suggestions

Posted 05-27-2015 11:28

If your willing to do a slightly smaller cast I'd recommend The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I did a very minimalistic set that worked really well, was really popular, and not that expensive to produce. Have you thought about doing Aida or possibly Footloose for the musical? A lot of the sets can be suggested and "filled out" with a good sound design.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 19.  RE: Fall Play & Spring Musical suggestions

Posted 05-28-2015 11:32

Shira, which version did you do?

Tisha Donnelly
    Vallejo CA

• 20.  RE: Fall Play & Spring Musical suggestions

Posted 05-31-2015 16:28

Samantha, I'm at a small Christian school with a cafetorium, so I think we have some of the same limitations.

We had a lot of fun with Harvey and found 12 Angry Jurors more challenging than you'd think. Have you read Acts of God? We are in Missouri, so this small-cast play which focuses on a group of teens in the aftermath of a Joplin-sized tornado really hit home with our community. (It's by Mark Rigney, through Playscripts.) Super easy to stage.

M*A*S*H was a huge hit and is perfect if you have some guys who are talented at comedy. (It's significantly cleaner than the book, movie, and TV show.) You basically need three tents and a common area in front -- not too hard to do in a small space.

It's a Wonderful Life has multiple adaptations which would appeal to your community -- some of which can be staged with small pieces to suggest multiple locations. (We did Rodgers's version.) And there's always the radio show.

Several Shakespeare plays would fit the bill, too. We had a blast with Much Ado and Comedy of Errors.

As far as musicals go, I feel like creativity and not comparing your set to other schools (or colleges, community theatres, churches...) is the key. We did Cinderella, My Fair Lady, Sound of Music, Hello, Dolly! and Meet Me in St. Louis -- all with modest staging and creative solutions. We also have almost no wings, backstage, or flies to speak of, so it's always a puzzle.

Thankfully, you'll have your auditorium soon. Congrats. I hope to still be alive when they build ours. Haha. Good luck!

Emily Stam

• 21.  RE: Fall Play & Spring Musical suggestions

Posted 06-01-2015 14:48

What version of 12 Angry Jurors did you use?

I really appreciate all of the suggestions! I have put on shows as big as Anything Goes, but this year with so many changes in our music department I just would like to chose something more manageable with so many changes and lack of a rehearsal space. (This is also my first year directing shows as a first time mother, so balance is key this year and living at the school is no longer an option:). 

Samantha Roop

• 22.  RE:Fall Play & Spring Musical suggestions

Posted 06-01-2015 22:49
    There isn't a Twelve Angry Jurors script exactly. I got my cast Twelve Angry Men and bought one coy of Twelve Angry Women and changed the line to the more gender appropriate when necessary. It worked beautifully. For instance, there is a part at the end when Four threatens Ten and the phrasing sounded all wrong coming from a girl, so we changed it to the women's version of the line. It explains it on Dramatic Publishing's website and they are the ones that handle amateur rights to the show. Also, if it makes you feel better, I'm a mom of a 2 and almost 4 year old, so I have been living in the new mom space for the last few years. It is hard, I won't lie, but it is definitely doable. For twelve angry, I had a 5 week rehearsal schedule at an hour a day with an extra hour on Mondays. Our tech rehearsals were only about 3 hours long. Because the show is so short, this ended up being plenty of time. It's ok to scale back for a few years until you get into a new rhythm.

Heather Brandon
    Bakersfield CA

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 23.  RE: Fall Play & Spring Musical suggestions

Posted 06-02-2015 09:40

Heather,

Yes! I just need to this year.  Last year my maternity leave was during our musical and I had to come back to save the musical and as selfless as I have been I just knew in my heart that it was wrong for me to not receive an appropriate maternity leave.  I had set everyone up to succeed and had everything casted, materials distributed, etc, etc and I still had to come back and block the entire show and get the sets, props and costumes figured out... it was a mess, so I will continue to have rehearsals Mon-Thursday 2-3 hours a night, then 5 days a week when we get closer to it. I just want something more manageable this year since I feel very slighted this past year and I felt like I really missed out on some things with my tiny human.  As far as splitting the cast female and male... did you just cast the twelve strongest actors/actresses or did you split them?

Thanks for your help!

Samantha Roop

• 24.  RE: Fall Play & Spring Musical suggestions

Posted 05-31-2015 16:59

My Catholic HS did Wilder's The Skin of Our Teeth in the gymnatorium.

Two cute musical adaptations of classics from Playscripts: (1) Cyrano de Burger Shack & (2) Emma! A Musical. They've cleared the rights for pop songs (with cleaned-up lyrics) so your entire cast knows the score before rehearsals begin (as well as the audience). They planned to have a choice of accompaniment recordings or orchestration, but I don't know the status of the CD's.

But call a 'Selection Committee' by its more accurate designation: Censorship Committee.

Michael McDonough
    New York NY

• 25.  RE: Fall Play & Spring Musical suggestions

Posted 06-02-2015 10:55

Here are a couple (not named previously, I believe...) to consider:

"My Days as a Youngling"

http://plays.about.com/od/One-Act-Plays-for-School-Groups/fl/My-Days-as-a-Youngling.htm

"Sing Down the Moon"

http://plays.about.com/od/plays/fl/Sing-Down-the-Moon-Appalachian-Wonder-Tales.htm

Rosalind Flynn
    Head of the M.A. in Theatre Education
    The Catholic University of America
    Silver Spring MD

• 26.  RE: Fall Play & Spring Musical suggestions

Posted 06-14-2015 12:21

GODSPELL!!!

Elizabeth Brasler
    Woodland Hills CA