Open Forum

View Only

Cinderella

• 1.  Cinderella

Posted 05-14-2015 20:17

Hello all, 

Does anybody know the differences between the two different versions of Cinderella that MTI licenses? They have the original and a more recent "Enchanted" edition.  Does anybody have recommendations between them?

Thanks,

Chris 

------------------------------
    Christopher Sheldon
    Teacher
    Bancroft School
    Worcester MA

• 2.  RE: Cinderella

Posted 05-14-2015 21:10

MTI reps Dinsey's version of Cinderella as a KIDS edition (~30 mins ShowKit edition for elementary students to perform). Their second Cinderella is the Prince Street Players version: TYA (Theater For Young Audiences) meaning adults performing for children.

You're referring to the R&H Cinderella's: one is the original version and the other is 'enchanted.' And no, I have no knowledge of the difference. Just pointing out that it's R&H and not MTI.

Michael McDonough
    New York NY

• 3.  RE: Cinderella

Posted 05-15-2015 05:59

Yep, you're right.  R&H.  Too many balls in the air.

Christopher Sheldon
    Teacher
    Bancroft School
    Worcester MA

• 4.  RE: Cinderella

Posted 05-15-2015 08:28

Cinderella is the edition that was written for television in 1957. It starred Julie Andrews.  It was filmed for TV again in 1965 with Leslie Ann Warren.  Both versions are on DVD and are considered the "original."  In 1997, Whitney Houston produced another television version starring Brandy. This is what R&H calls the "Enchanted Edition."  Some musical numbers were added and some removed.  The script is a bit different in terms of supporting cast. I was obsessed with the 1965 version as a kid and my 23 year old daughter was obsessed with the Brandy version as a kid, so I have seen both versions 100 times:) They are both entertaining. The newest edition which just closed on Broadway has an "updated" script, but I don't think R&H is offering that for production. 

Fran Young
    Verona High School
    Verona NJ

• 5.  RE: Cinderella

Posted 05-15-2015 08:22

The Regular one is the 1957 telecast version.  The Enchanted one is the version with Brandy, Whoopi and Whitney Houston that was televised in 1997.

Jeremy Ferman
    Theatre Director
    Mansfield TX

• 6.  RE: Cinderella

Yes!  We just finished up the Enchanted version with my kids.  The original version is 3 acts and the music is a little dated.  The Enchanted version is almost exactly like the Brandi movie version...the songs are the same.  It is only 2 acts and more modern.  We truly loved the Enchanted version...very cute to stage!
    April Berry
    Utica KY

• 7.  RE: Cinderella

Posted 05-15-2015 08:51

The regular version is 3 acts based on the 1957 Julie Andrews tv special, and clocks in around 2:30 (The Leslie Ann Warren clocks in at 80 mins and is not licensed; and yes, the 2013 Broadway version is not available of licensing either, and that is the MOST different, with entire new plots and characters and songs. Let's hope they make it available once the tour ends...).

The Enchanted edition is two acts, based on the 1997 with Brandi, Whitney Houston, etc., for the Wonderful World of Disney. It starts with "The Sweetest Sounds" for Cinderella and Chris to "bump into each other" in the street, has the very extended "The Prince is Giving a Ball" from that version, which interpolates the melodies from "Your Majesties" (that song is CUT in this version), and ends with "There is Music in You". There is NOT, however, "Falling in Love with Love", which was in the 1997 version, added in for Bernadette Peters as the Stepmother. There are much more contemporary jokes, updated orchestrations, animal (puppet) characters in Cinderella's garden, and clocks in at 90 mins. There is also a more developed scene between Fairy G and Cinderella, which implies that Fairy G is the spirit of her mother.

Joshua Feder
    Director of Education, New London Barn Playhouse
    Theater Director, Kingswood Oxford School

• 8.  RE: Cinderella

Yes, the Enchanted edition is based on the Disney reboot with a multi-racial cast with Jason Alexander, Brandy, and Whitney Houston. It has R&H original songs with the additional songs included in that version. There is a solo for the stepmother, some additional songs for the herald, etc. Hope this helps.

Bruce Taws

Bruce Taws
    Panama City FL

• 9.  Cinderella

Posted 05-15-2015 08:45

The R&H version has the Rodgers and Hammerstein music, which is far superior to the MTI version.  However, both books are really dumbed down.  In the R&H version, Cinderella's transformation happens offstage.  We changed that, but it is typical of the script -- not much magic.

Bonnie Fraker

Northwest School of the Arts

• 10.  RE: Cinderella

Posted 05-15-2015 09:21

The enchanted version matches the version with Brandie and Whitney Huston in it.  It's a much better version.  You can even request to add in the stepmother's song from the movie "Falling in Love With Love".  It's an awesome song and I was really bummed they didn't have it in the Enchanted Version so we email the company and got it allowed.  Then we found the music from Pepper.

Jana Heyl
    White Plains MD

• 11.  RE:Cinderella

Posted 05-15-2015 09:42
    I just purchased the complete book of the enchanted version from Amazon (published by Applause Libretto Library). I also the national tour this winter. In my opinion, the updates are fabulous. Cinderella has agency: she runs back and grabs her shoe at the end of Act I—gasp! Later, at another ball, she intentionally leaves her shoe behind for the prince to find, a la into the woods. Meanwhile, the prince and kingdoms are having crises of their own that only Cinderella can solve. One of the stepsisters becomes an ally, the other sings Why Would A Fellow with all of the other rejected women after the ball giving the female ensemble another featured number. It's got a fresh message about social justice without losing any of the original charm.

-------------------------------------------
    Benjamin Stuart
    Middle School Theatre Arts Teacher
    Seattle Public Schools
    Seattle WA

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 12.  RE:Cinderella

Posted 05-15-2015 09:44
    Ah! The version to which I'm referring is the 2013 Broadway revival, and a previous reply has said it's not yet available. The book of it is, as I mentioned.

Benjamin Stuart
    Middle School Theatre Arts Teacher
    Seattle Public Schools
    Seattle WA

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 13.  RE: Cinderella

Posted 05-15-2015 09:59

We just finished a production of the 1957 version. The run time was only about 90 minutes, and we didn't take two intermissions. According to my Musical Director the Enchanted version is much longer. 

I like the classic feel of the 1957 version. I didn't even read the Enchanted version. 

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA

• 14.  RE: Cinderella

Posted 05-15-2015 13:27

I read through both scripts last year and ended up producing the Enchanted version. The biggest differences are that the Enchanted version is two acts instead of three and it has animals as characters.  I've heard of people using puppets for those roles, but we used children and it was adorable!  The dialogue is also a little more modern and humorous.

Susan Manst
    Drama Teacher
    Academy School District 20
    USAFA CO

• 15.  RE: Cinderella

Posted 05-19-2015 21:29

Hey everyone!

In case some of you aren't on the R&H email bulletin, they announced today that the 2013 Broadway version of Cinderella is now available for licensing. This one, as Benjamin Stuart mentioned a few posts ago, is exciting and contemporary-- it gives Cinderella a lot more agency, makes her stronger and smarter, and gives more substantial reasons for Prince Topher (short for Christopher, naturally) to fall in love with her. Specifically, his kingdom is falling into rebellion, with the grand duke has been running the government corruptly while Prince was off at school (think Ella Enchanted), and wants to give to the rich and take from the poor. Cinderella knows about democracy and brings the message/complaints from the rabble poor to Topher. Gone are the king and queen, replaced by this grand duke character; there is still the herald. There is also the leader of the rebellion (who happens to be a love interest for the older and prettier stepsister), and the Fairy G exists as the crazy woman in town until Cinderella is kind to her and she reveals her magic-ness. A lot of contemporary jokes, and several new interpolated songs. I love this version, but you have to like this kind of show-- it's definitely not at all the original/classic, or even the Enchanted version, which is a 90s update/homage but still the same idea. This is a whole new musical. 

Josh Feder
    Education Director, New London Barn Playhouse
    New London, NH
    Theater Director, Kingswood Oxford School
    West Hartford, CT

• 16.  RE: Cinderella

Posted 05-20-2015 10:56

At risk of going off on a tangent: another Cinderella story is looming on the horizon. The film Ever After: A Cinderella Story (1998) which starred Drew Barrymore is being developed into a stage musical. It opens this month at Paper Mill Playhouse in NJ.

Music & lyrics by Goldrich & Heisler, the pair who brought us Dear Edwina, Junie B. Jones, and Snow White, Rose Red (and Fred).

Seems a no-brainer in this age of Wicked & Frozen: a Cinderella "who largely defines her own fate."

Of course, probably not available to produce for a few years...just about the time you're ready to do remount of Cinderella?!

Here's a link to a PR interview in the NJ Star-Ledger:

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2015/05/ever_after_brings_human_magic_to_the_cinderella_st.html

Michael McDonough
    New York NY