Open Forum

View Only

Renting Costumes?

• 1.  Renting Costumes?

Posted 05-13-2015 11:07

Hi all,

I am going to be renting costumes for my musical next year. I've gotten costumes plots from The Costumer and Norcostco. Does anyone have any comments (positive or negative) about either company?

------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 2.  RE: Renting Costumes?

Posted 05-14-2015 08:45

I've used them both and they are great!  I prefer Norcostco's designs and color schemes.

Jana Heyl
    White Plains MD

• 3.  RE: Renting Costumes?

Posted 05-14-2015 09:13

I haven't used either of them, but we just rented costumes for the first time with Pierre's Costumes. The price was very affordable, and the costumes were beautiful. It was a good experience. 

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA

• 4.  RE: Renting Costumes?

Posted 05-14-2015 10:32

I use Norcostco, they are super easy to deal with and very knowledgeable about the shows.  Their costumes have always been great and they fit the cast well!  They ship them when they say they will and they give you free shipping on the way to you.  Also you don't pay until after the show is done, so you don't have to worry about your budget before the show. I honestly cannot say enough great things about them!

Ryan Landmann
    Palm Desert CA

• 5.  RE: Renting Costumes?

Posted 05-15-2015 11:45

I've worked with Norcostco and highly recommend them.  Their costumes come on time, are well-constructed and have always fit. Costumes are offered with accessories or not, your choice.  Once you make contact with them, a coordinator is assigned and that person is open to color scheme suggestions, gender changes, and/or changes from their suggested costume plot. Just closed Mary Poppins; one of my "treasures" swept up from the wings is a yellow feather from Admiral Boom's hat. Costumes are luxurious, which I think enhances actors' characters. 

Barbara Maier
    Teacher
    Thunder Mountain High School
    Auke Bay AK

• 6.  RE: Renting Costumes?

Posted 05-14-2015 10:44

I LOVE The Costumer!  We've bought our stage makeup and various hats, wigs, etc. from them for the past dozen years or so.  Service is fast, staff is friendly and knowledgeable.  Plus, Schenectady, NY is close to my home town!

Best of luck with your rental!

Joanne Buyniski
    Whitinsville MA

• 7.  RE: Renting Costumes?

Posted 05-14-2015 10:58

What show are you doing? I have never rented from "The Costumer" but I have seen their flyers, and have not been impressed with their period costumes.  I realize that you are in AZ, have you contacted Easleys in Phoenix?  Also look into Broadway Costumes in Chicago and Spotlight Costumes in Pittsburgh.  Both do excellent work.

Break a leg!

Floyd Nash
    Pompano Beach FL

• 8.  RE: Renting Costumes?

Posted 05-14-2015 11:26

I have rented from both companies.  My first Norcostco experience was not good.  The costumes had to be fixed in order for my students to wear them.  Torn in places, etc.  That can be expected because of the amount times the costumes are probably rented.  I have used The Costumer for the past few years.  I was extrememly happy with their costumes.  I felt this year that the costumes were not as good.  Many substitutions were made so not all the tickets were correct nor substitutions good, but the substitutions were correct on the the invoice.

The Costumer always sent my costumes a little early which is nice.  I will probably continue using them. Plus, each time I order I get a percentage off my next order.

John Freeman
    Theatre Director / Fine Arts Director
    Macon GA

• 9.  RE: Renting Costumes?

Posted 05-14-2015 11:27

Hi Shira,

I have used both companies for several years and both have excellent service. The costumes all come labeled with actor and character names, a checklist for re-packing, and easy to follow directions for getting everything mailed back to them.  One of them (I can't remember which) will even get costumes mailed out a day or two earlier than the standard contract if you need them in a hurry.Good luck!

Nancy Moran
    Drama Instructor
    Los Altos High School
    Los Altos CA

• 10.  RE: Renting Costumes?

Posted 05-14-2015 12:22

I am a huge fan of Broadway Costumes, Chicago. They arrive on the contracted time and are professionally designed. I have never had a single costume that didn't fit.

Break a leg!

Donnie Bryan
    Department Chair of Visual and Performing Arts
    Nashville TN

• 11.  RE: Renting Costumes?

Posted 05-15-2015 12:18

Has anyone ever rented from the TDF Costume Collection?

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 12.  RE: Renting Costumes?

Posted 05-16-2015 11:41

I rented from Mardi Gras in Scottsdale AZ for Beauty and the Beast.  I found their designs to be comparable in cost to Nortcostco and The Costumer, but more detailed and interesting (from the pictures at least). The costumes were beautiful, the company was helpful, and I'm already working with them to build a new show next year.

especially since you're in AZ I suggest you check them out.

Abra Chusid
    Theatre Director
    Buffalo Grove IL