Open Forum

View Only

Gift ideas for troupe director

• 1.  Gift ideas for troupe director

Posted 05-08-2015 10:15
    My other troupe officers and I were wanting to get something special for our director to thank him for putting up with us for the past four years. Any gift ideas? What do you usually give your directors at your banquets and ceremonies?

------------------------------
    Emilee <g class="gr_ gr_9 gr-alert gr_spell ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="9" data-gr-id="9">Cruchelow</g>
    Indianola IA

• 2.  RE: Gift ideas for troupe director

Posted 05-08-2015 10:23
    A few years ago my seniors got one of those ceramic plates, signed it (some of them wrote little comments) and gave that to me with the years they were members on the top and bottom of the plate. They called it the Mama Schwartz Award, which is a play on the Grandma Schwartz award and the fact that I "mother" them.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Gift ideas for troupe director

Posted 05-08-2015 11:33
    As suggested by Mama Schwartz, probably something unique and playful and thoughtful. I really want the 'unt' mug, but that's because I'm a fairly sad individual with a proclivity toward gutter humor; your troupe director might appreciate something somewhat more sophisticated (or not)! You know most what they're like, and what they would appreciate best. Whatever you come up with, I'm sure they'll love it!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 4.  RE: Gift ideas for troupe director

Posted 05-09-2015 12:02

The best gift I ever received was a patchwork quilt from my seniors 2 years ago. Each patch was large and had the hand print of the student in fabric paint along with a personal message. It was so touching and beautiful. If you do not have time to make something, I would suggest a massage. If everyone pitches in $5 you can get a nice one. You can't go wrong with a relaxing massage.

Monica DeFelice
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    First Flight High School
    Kill Devil Hills NC

• 5.  RE: Gift ideas for troupe director

Posted 05-10-2015 00:22

As a director, I appreciate gifts that remind me of the plays from that year. A favorite gift was a personalized director's chair signed by the cast (Oriental Trading Co.).

Jodi Improta
    Fine Arts Department Chair
    Fullerton CA

• 6.  RE:Gift ideas for troupe director

Posted 05-10-2015 14:53
    Hello! I have a voice teacher who used to be a director at a high school in my area. As a retirement gift her students created a quilt made of all the show shirts from all the musicals she directed. It's really neat, and she has it hanging up in her music room. Also, one of my music directors received a song this year composed by the graduating seniors, complete with a music video. It was really special for her, and really inspiring to everyone else. Therefore, a nice gift for a troupe director could be something made from the things they've accomplished, or something symbolic of what they've done. Of course, there is no limits of what you could do. Hope this helps, I wish you the best!

-------------------------------------------
    Carly Radebaugh
    Sylvania OH
    -------------------------------------------

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 7.  RE: Gift ideas for troupe director

Posted 05-11-2015 05:26

Hi there! 

The best gifts I received as a director of school plays are a banner where they had embroidered a quote from the play we had just produced. It was hanging up at the back of the theatre as a surprise and I have it hanging in my office everyday!  Also, I have received beautiful hard back poetry book of (Yeats and Keats) that were signed by the company. So special. Adrienne :O) 
    Adrienne Ferguson
    Creative Director
    TreePress
    London. United Kingdom
    adrienne@treepress.org

www.treepress.org
    Making theatre easily accessible for everyone, everywhere.

• 8.  RE: Gift ideas for troupe director

Posted 05-11-2015 08:14

How about a director's chair, with your troupe leader's name, or a a meaningful quote, embroidered on the back?

Dianne Daniels
    Birmingham AL

• 9.  RE: Gift ideas for troupe director

Posted 05-11-2015 22:03

A tradition with our Thespian Officers is to gift our director with a charm related to the theme of the show. She has a collected quite a few and has made a bracelet out of them that she wears all of the time. While these charms are not expensive, they are certainly personal and sentimental. Since your director is male, perhaps his charm could be attached to a keychain. 

MacKenzie Staples
    Buford GA

• 10.  RE: Gift ideas for troupe director

Posted 05-13-2015 13:30

I've got an idea for you!!!  How about a "tribute" to your director with a gift to EdTA?  Any gift, no matter the size would be welcomed and you can designate where you would like it applied:  Send a Troupe, Scholarships, Jump Start Theatre--wherever your (and his) passions lie.  You can make the donation online by going to schooltheatre.org and look for the "donate now" button under "support" in the top bar. Or you can get the mailing address from online and address your contribution to Marion Combs at EdTA.  Marion will send your troupe director a nice letter in reply.  This could be a nice way to thank your director for all he has done to encourage you as Thespians, and build the organization for future Thespians.

hint- hint-- I'd be thrilled if someone did this for me!!!

Debbie Corbin
    Drama & Musical director
    Branson High School
    Spokane MO

• 11.  RE: Gift ideas for troupe director

Posted 03-23-2016 05:46

The best gift ever is caricature from photo! It's always nice and original I guess. I like such gifts, it will be forever on your wall. So, if you need here's the website where I ordered: https://www.photolamus.com/

Georgetta Snow

• 12.  RE: Gift ideas for troupe director

Posted 04-05-2016 08:57

A friend received an engraved bracelet with a quote from the show, this is wearable and nice.  Something I received that was meaningful was a picture of all the seniors in a wooden frame that had all their signatures laser etched into it. Also, I second the massage.  You can never go wrong with that!

Jessica Harms
    Acton-Boxborough Regional High School
    Acton MA

• 13.  RE: Gift ideas for troupe director

Posted 04-05-2016 11:06

I admit first that I am not an overly sentimental person, so gifts tied to a particular show or set of shows doesn't resonate with me that much (And I have no idea what I would actually do with a show t-shirt quit, to be honest with you). My favorite gift when I was teaching was always Starbucks gift cards. Then whenever I wanted coffee away from home or school, I could get it without paying. Every time I used the cards, I had a little memory and appreciation of the people and the experience. 

Frank Pruet
    EdTA President
    Atlanta GA

• 14.  RE: Gift ideas for troupe director

Posted 04-06-2016 07:00

Whatever the gift, they will like it if it is heartfelt and thoughtful.

First, you should consider what you know about your director.  Is the director a sentimental person?  If so, you have already gotten lots of great suggestions.  Is the director a practical person, then practical gifts are called for like the Starbucks gift cards mentioned before.  

Take what you know and what you have learned over for years to hone in on something unique.  I have gotten beautiful photos, autographed items, books, etc.  My favorite gifts have been when someone has dug deep to find something unique about me--like that I LOVE concerts and HATE ticket prices & that I love experiences (concert tix--yes!)--or that I enjoy simple quiet time which I rarely get (coloring books and a crafting day planned by my students).

I know this isn't a list of  "items", but an idea.  I promise you won't go wrong.

Raenell Smith
    Speech, Theatre, English Teacher
    Clark Pleasant Community School Corporation
    Whiteland IN