Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  State Festival IE Entries

Posted 12-10-2013 10:27

Hello again!
    In New Jersey, schools are allowed to enter 5 students/ pairs, per category. We have a ton of kids who compete, and frankly it seems to me like more of a competition than a festival. Most kids compete and the workshops are barely attended.

This past weekend we had the pleasure of attending the Northeast Festival. Kids were limited to 2 categories each. This made more time for workshops and breaks and other fun things for the kids. I really liked how it felt like a festival, not a competition.

What do you all do in your states? I would like to try to take NJ into more of a festival feel and less of a competition.
    -------------------------------------------
    Carolyn Little
    High School English Teacher
    Toms River Board of Education

• 2.  RE:State Festival IE Entries

Posted 12-10-2013 15:14
    I believe in Alabama there is a 2 entry limit per student, and that seems to work pretty well!

Katie Siegel
    ITO Chair

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 3.  RE:State Festival IE Entries

Posted 12-11-2013 22:38
    Nebraska allows one IE entry per person. It limits the competition atmosphere to an hour at most, and the variety of workshops are attended by all delegates partly because of it.

Alex Minton

• 4.  RE:State Festival IE Entries

Posted 12-15-2013 01:07
    http://gathespians.org/Conference/IEs/GeneralInformation/tabid/153/Default.aspx This is a link to the IE info in GA.

Frank Pruet
    EdTA Vice President

• 5.  RE:State Festival IE Entries

Posted 12-16-2013 10:22
    In Michigan we've been doing a max of 3 entries per event, per school for years, which has worked well for us and has struck a good balance of kids who watch or compete in I.E.'s and enough attending workshops as well.  
    I think with our increased attendance this year though we are going to move down to limiting schools to 2 entries per event type.  In addition, we've always only allowed students to do a max of two different events.  This helps keep the quality up and makes scheduling easier as well. 
    e

Erik Hart
    Michigan
    Warren Con. School of Perf. Arts

• 6.  RE:State Festival IE Entries

Posted 12-17-2013 13:14
    In Arizona because we have roughly 85 schools in attendance at our state Festival we allow only one student, duo, or group per school per event in the I.E.'s  Since we also have 3 regional Festivals this allows much more opportunity for participation in the I.E.'s

Steve Halper