Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Stipend Funding/ Booster Clubs

Posted 12-10-2013 10:24
    Hello all!
    My thespian co-advisor and I have worked extremely hard over the past 3 years with our Union to get our BOE to approve stipends for a Thespian troupe, Fall Play and Spring Play. These 3 positions have been volunteer for close to 5 years. The only part of theatre that we get paid for is the Musical.

We went to meetings with the Superintendent and our Union President, we created a presentation based on NJ schools and payments that most schools get, we even had the kids make a movie about saving theatre. At a Board meeting last June parents and students came out in droves voicing their support for our program. This past summer, my co-advisor sat down with a union representative that was on the negotiations committee and set up a way for us to get paid without taking any more money out of the BOE's pockets. Yet after all of this, the BOE approved new tracks for the high schools, and turned down what we needed...stipends.

With a one and a half year old, and my co-advisor getting married eventually, we cannot afford to be teaching in the lowest paid district in our county and volunteer for all of these theatre initiatives.

I went to my school the other day to see if they could help with stipends for clubs, but there are none to be afforded. We only get to pay 15 clubs, and all of the stipends are taken.

When we told our parents that next year there will only be a musical, they were devastated. They brought up the idea of starting a booster club. They thought that if they started it, through there they could create stipends for us.

I have never worked with a booster club. I know a lot of the negatives, but are there positives? Is it better to go this route rather than losing the theatre company that we have worked so hard to build?

Any other suggestions for where we could get stipends from?

Thanks for any suggestions!!!!

-------------------------------------------
    Carolyn Little
    High School English Teacher
    Toms River Board of Education

• 2.  RE:Stipend Funding/ Booster Clubs

Posted 12-11-2013 20:47
    We have a theater booster club and I have found it to be quite useful.

I would be careful to establish ground rules and or otherwise discuss expectations-- develop a working committee which will develop a mission statement, letters of incorporation, constitution and by laws as those documents are helpful for everyone involved.

Also, check with whatever agency governs and or helps non profits in your state as you may not need to incorporate and or file for 501C3 status.  Might also be possible for you to function as a sub set of some other existing 501C3. 

I have learned a lot through the process and would recommend booster groups to others.

Michael Johnson

• 3.  RE:Stipend Funding/ Booster Clubs

Posted 12-12-2013 11:12
    Hi,

The suggestion to "umbrella" your Booster Club under another group (i.e.PTA) is an excellent suggestion. Look for a group in your school/district with a 501 3c to join. If you do this they should be able to hold events without you present (check the policies at your school first)

You can also save yourself a great deal of time and planning by asking a strong, established, and organized Booster group on your campus for their sample constitution, officer structure and any other documents to use in order to create what you need. 

Make sure you clearly state in your policies that any parents working with the Boosters will not have any input regarding casting and artistic decisions. 

I let my Boosters set the agenda, run the meetings and their events but every activity is run by me for approval and I have final say on dates. I also give a Director's report at every meeting. 

In order to show all parents how valuable our Boosters are, and where the money is going, my outgoing Booster President presents me with a check (usually $15,000-$20,000) at our June Awards Banquet. This is also a great way of showing the hardworking parents how much the students and department appreciates their hard work.

Krista Carson Elhai
    California

• 4.  RE: Stipend Funding/ Booster Clubs

Posted 05-30-2015 20:57

I am trying to establish a drama booster and am if you allow the boosters to have any input into the selection of shows.  I'd like to add that restriction to the by-laws.  

Also, is it legal for the drama director to receive a stipend from the boosters?  I know that the director is not supposed to profit from the 503C.

------------------------------
    Tisha Donnelly
    Vallejo CA

• 5.  RE: Stipend Funding/ Booster Clubs

Posted 06-01-2015 10:19

Krista, can you clarify the thing about the $15,000 check you get given? Is that for you personally, or to the theatre department? :) It was a little unclear in your post.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL