Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Required Speech Credit

Posted 05-08-2015 06:31
    Hi everyone, I teach at a private school near KC, Missouri, and my school has a required speech credit for graduation. Several schools in our area offer multiple options for fulfilling the speech requirement, including debate, forensics, and theatre arts I (or introduction to theatre). Just wondering, for those of you whose high school does have a speech requirement, what classes fulfill that? If Theatre Arts I (or Intro to Theatre) fulfills the requirement, is there anything you are asked to include in order to fulfill the requirement? (Number of speeches per semester, speech unit, etc.) Thanks so very much! ------------------------------ Emily Stam ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Required Speech Credit

Posted 05-14-2015 16:21

My high school had a "public speaking" requirement that could be filled by a bunch of different classes. I was thrilled that drama classes fell into that category since I was taking them anyway. As long as the class involved standing in front of everyone alone and talking (thank you, monologues!), you were good. I know we were required to do a certain number of monologues, but I'm not sure if that was required to be counted as a "speech" course or just because the teacher felt you needed a certain number.

I feel like this likely a pretty common scenario because it worked the same way in college, anyone have any more experience with this?

------------------------------
    Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY

• 3.  RE: Required Speech Credit

Posted 05-14-2015 16:51

I work at a private boarding school in Michigan. 

We have a Performing Arts requirement. The classes that fulfill it would be band, orchestra, acting, stagecraft, speech, dance, or choir.

DanielDobrovich
    Director of Theatre
    ddobrovich@cranbrook.edu
    Bloomfield HillsMI

• 4.  RE: Required Speech Credit

Posted 05-15-2015 12:01

My district does have a required speech credit, but there aren't any substitutions. Students have to actually take the "ACS" class (advanced communication skills) for graduation. Also the district requires a performing arts credit, which includes band, orchestra, choir, and drama. 

Andy Ballnik