Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  College Auditions

Posted 05-07-2015 11:56
    I have three students auditioning for Colleges in Nebraska.  I have a couple of questions.. I have always insisted that my students pick a monologue from a play and read the whole play. Is this an expectation of the college representatives?  There are so many monologues that are stand alone on the internet that my students insist they want to do them!  Also should they have hard copies of their resume and head shots to give colleges?

------------------------------
    Cathy Archer
    Rutland VT

• 2.  RE: College Auditions

Posted 05-07-2015 13:48

It might not be an expectation of the colleges, but it's excellent practice to read the whole play rather than just the monologue, as well we all know. Can't speak for the colleges, but I would have thought it would avoid any awkwardness in the audition if the panel ask for justifications as to why a performer 'made that choice' with the monologue. For my college audition we had to create a 2 minute, non-verbal piece. That was all the instruction we received! So it depends on what the college is asking for. And again, taking a hard copy of the resume and head shot might also just be good practice, but not an expectation.

Hopefully someone with better knowledge of the American system will reply with helpful answers, but wanted to encourage you that you're definitely right in terms of good practice!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 3.  RE: College Auditions

Posted 05-07-2015 14:05

Cathy,

I would definitely say yes to having a hard copy of resume and headshot. And would agree that at least knowing the context of the full play would be a very good idea. On line research could help as well for plot/character synopsis. Iwill also tell you about a fantastic organzation located in Boston, MA called My College Audition. This is a business founded by an Emerson College Grad to assist students in the college audition process. I have refereed my students to MCA enthusiastically for two reasons. First, they make it their business to know and understand the various colleges and what their expectations are. While we all know how to nurture and develop high school actors, I don't think any of us have the time to really be able to understand the field of the college admission/audition/application process. This is MCA's business. They know what material to avoid for auditions. They have excellent coaches who will work with students in person or via skype or face time. And, in the five years they have been in business, they have a 100% success rate in their clients earning acceptance at BA and BFA programs that require auditions. I guess that's more than two....
    Mark Bishop
    Washington DC

• 4.  RE: College Auditions

Posted 05-08-2015 06:16

Most college auditors from programs that are worthwhile would definitely expect a student auditioner/applicant to know the play from which the monologue is taken, and be able to discuss their creative choices, their understanding of the given circumstances, the "moment before", etc; particularly those programs that require an audition for entry.  The student should also be ready to work their piece with an interested auditor, and be able to make any adjustment asked of them, even if it departs from the patterns that they have rehearsed.  Especially so, as a good auditor will want to explore how rigid they are in their choices, and how open they are to "play".

Having supervised theatre auditions for Interlochen in past years for over two decades, I would STRONGLY advise your students to avoid "stand-alone" monologues on the internet.  The quality of most of them that I've seen are substandard, they don't give the student the kind of challenges that creating a believable 2 minutes out of their understanding of dramatic context would give them--and perhaps most importantly:  if they want to avoid the work of studying an entire play in order to prepare audition monologues, they might want to reconsider spending money for a college program in theatre.  It's the disciplined, passion-driven young actors who have the best chance for long-term success in this tough profession, not the ones who might have some "natural" talent but look for ways to avoid necessary work.

It's also a good idea to have more monologues prepared than the schools actually require, especially if you're auditioning for the more competitive college theatre programs; if they require 2, have 4 prepared. And if you list a role performed on your resume, be prepared to talk about your work on that role--and maybe even be able to do a monologue from it if asked by the auditor.

And yes....have hard copies of your picture and resume to leave with the auditor.

David Montee
    Instuctor, Theatre Division
    Interlochen MI

Author of Translating Shakespeare:  A Guidebook for Young Actors

• 5.  RE: College Auditions

Posted 05-08-2015 08:31
    Cathy - speaking as a college attending the auditions, stick to your guns! Yes, they should read the play. Reading a synopsis Will not give you the same nuanced understanding of a character, and the context of any particular speech. As two hard copies of resumes and head shots, I don't find the necessary though many schools appreciate them. I know a lot of schools, including mine, prefer to simply take a photo of the person standing in front of us at that moment to help us remember who the student is. One caution about resumes: for many colleges and universities an academic record is at least, if not more, important than an artistic record. Please make sure a resume includes both. ------------------------------ John Friedenberg Director Of Theatre Department of Theatre & Dance Wake Forest University ------------------------------

• 6.  College Expectations

Posted 05-08-2015 09:35

Dear Cathy,

YES! You are absolutely correct. Your expectations are reasonable and your training will help your students achieve success.

Stand alone monologues pulled from the internet or monologue books do not allow the auditors to assess talent, creativity, initiative, intellect, and aesthetic. They are often shallow, poorly written, result driven pieces trying to amuse or shock, tackling issues with no depth. By studying the full canon of dramatic literature and choosing a monologue from an existing full length play, students receive the support that good writing provides. They can do much better audition work after studying a full play and presenting their ideas about that character, those words, that moment in the play where the character finds they must speak now. Good writing by good playwrights provides the central ingredient for a good audition. 

I always ask for a copy of a headshot and resume. It creates jumping off points for discussion at an interview following an audition.

Best wishes.

-Richard
    Richard Hess
    Department Chair and Professor of Drama
    University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music
    Cincinnati, OH 45221

• 7.  RE: College Auditions

Posted 05-08-2015 13:09

There are many colleges that require the monologues come from published plays. When I taught at UCLA and auditioned students for the Theatre major, we wouldn't even consider students who chose internet monologues or monologues from monologue books. We wanted to discuss the plays with the students auditioning. It proved they had done some research and put more effort into the audition process.

Rob Duval
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    'Iolani School
    Kaneohe HI