Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Merrily We Roll Along

Posted 05-07-2015 07:44
    I am considering this show for next year. I directed 10 years ago and remember it running long. Is there anyone out there who did it this past year who wold share their run time with me? It is a great show for High School, I think!

------------------------------
    Mark Bishop
    Washington DC

• 2.  RE: Merrily We Roll Along

Posted 05-08-2015 09:17
    I did Merrily quite a few years ago.  I don't think it really runs excessively long.  However, the majority of audiences didn't like the show, even though I had a dynamite cast.  Because of its non-traditional structure they either found it confusing (even though I had program notes explaining the show's concept) or unentertaining.  They really didn't like the cynical outlook on life it conveyed.  Maybe your audiences are more receptive to this kind of show.  I love the show, but wouldn't consider doing it again.

Robert Byrnes
    Milltown NJ

• 3.  RE: Merrily We Roll Along

Posted 05-09-2015 06:36

Hi Mark,

I absolutely adore that show; and whether it's a general audience favorite title or not, it's a wonderful show to do with young people as it raises great discussions about life's directions, just as they are about to set out on their own journeys and make their own choices.  The final number was so moving for all (both participants and audiences) that we repeated it at one of our graduation ceremonies.

In 1999, I directed the (then) newly revised version:  running time for Act I was 1:19.  Running time for Act II was 1:11.  There were no cuts, so 2:30 total, without intermission.  I was fortunate enough to have an 18-year-old Benjamin Walker (later of BLOODY, BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON) in the cast as Frank, and he was phenomenal, even at that young age.  One of my favorite shows of all my time directing and teaching.

Go for it!

David Montee
    Instructor, Theatre Division
    Interlochen MI
    Author of Translating Shakespeare:  A Guidebook for Young Actors

• 4.  RE: Merrily We Roll Along

Posted 05-11-2015 10:07

I absolutely love this show.  One thing to consider to help the audience with the time shifts is how to handle the transitions.  We did video montages of major events from the particular period (it's easier than ever in this internet age).

Costumes and make up help too.

Ours was a hit, and won some awards.  It helped that we had an extraordinary trio for Frank, Mary, and Charlie, all of whom became theatre majors.

I don't remember it being extra long. Keep the pace crisp, the audience will catch up.

Nathan Rosen
    Baltimore MD