Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  24 Hour Play Festival

Posted 05-06-2015 17:51

I'm considering plans for a 24 hour play festival and am curious to learn how other school have communicated and planned this type of event. How do the students sign up for a role (writer, director, actor, etc.) prior to the start time? Also, how do you select the writers - some kind of "audition" process? 

At this point, I'm considering an event in which we post a survey to our school community to decide certain elements the playwrights have to include (prop, occupation, specific line, etc.) and have them come to the school to get the assignment. Then return home to write the scripts and submit by a certain time the next morning, when the actors and directors arrive to jump into rehearsals. 

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated and if you have any paperwork explaining process and breakdown of the event that you would be willing to share, that would be great!

Thanks so much!

------------------------------
    Teresa McGrath
    Greenville SC

• 2.  RE: 24 Hour Play Festival

Posted 05-07-2015 09:07

Morning,

Let me give you my email address.  I have been doing 24-hour plays for 11 years at my school and now it's a well-oiled machine.  I have a few paperwork items, but mostly I can help you with how we handle logistics.

I have an opening night tonight for our final main stage production, so I hope you don't mind waiting a week for me to really delve into this. 

It's a ton of fun to do.

gillent@fargo.k12.nd.us

Tom Gillen

Fargo North High School

Troupe #4561
    Fargo ND

• 3.  RE: 24 Hour Play Festival

Posted 05-07-2015 09:50

Hi Theresa,

I have docs I have used for a similar activity. If you send me your email address, I'll forward you the same email with the documents I've used that I sent to Karen Maupin about the same question.

Barb

Barb Lachman
    Drama Director (former)
    Shoreline WA

• 4.  RE: 24 Hour Play Festival

Posted 05-08-2015 07:18
    I did a 24 hour play festival for the first time this year and despite a few speed bumps it went amazingly well. Totally fun and the learning experience for the students is profound.

Victoria Kesling Councill
    Chapter Director - VA EdTA/ Virginia Thespians
    Theatre Director- Fine & Performing Arts Department NKHS
    Artistic Director - NKHS Trojan Theatre
    Artistic Director - Kent England Exchange Production
    Virginia Commonwealth University BFA Theatre Education, BFA Art Education '08
    University of Houston - MA in Theatre Candidate '16

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art." - Konstantin Stanislavski