Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Paint Brush Storage

Posted 05-05-2015 18:41

I need someone who has creatively solved an issue, as all the ideas we've tried have issues.  Fundamentally, I need a clean and organized way to store paintbrushes (both regular and artist) and rollers after they've been washed.  The shop I inherited has a laundry tub installed after the fact over a slop sink (not the greatest, but it seems to work). Right now I have shelves on either side of the tub for storage, but no where good to put all the stuff we wash.  I haven't had luck with the pegboard and hook arrangement.  The hooks just keep getting knocked off, and I don't have easy access to hang them directly over the sink to drip.  Any creative solutions, or clarification questions, would be welcomed.  pictures a huge plus!

Thanks 

------------------------------
    Mark Johnson
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Farmington Hills MI

• 2.  RE: Paint Brush Storage

Posted 05-06-2015 06:13
    I'm not sure what they are called, but there are little plastic cross bars you can get that clip into the two holes around the sides of the hooks on a peg board. This keeps the hook from popping up when taking something off of it. They are available at most hardware stores. I got mine at Lowes or Home Depot. Maybe they will help with your pegboard problem. ------------------------------ Amy Holliday Ashburn VA ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Paint Brush Storage

Posted 05-06-2015 10:38
    I use a silverware basket from an old dishwasher. We put the brushes in handle end down, and the basket has several dividers which allows for sorting. The brushes stand up nicely to dry and it's easy to see what brushes are on hand. ------------------------------ Kathleen Ringley Director Of Choir & Drama Massillon OH ------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Paint Brush Storage

Posted 05-06-2015 11:03
    We have a shower curtain rod, the expandable spring loaded type, that we hang the rollers on after washing.  They drip onto a tiled area that can be easily rinsed.  Paint brushes are taken outside and the water slung out of them, then hung on long nails by size.  Several brushes fit on one nail, so really long!  Artist brushes are rinsed and stored bristles up on containers where they can been seen for easy selection.  I have a tech leader who checks this each day to see that it is done correctly.  Hope that helps!

Georgann Lanich
    Lakemont GA

• 5.  RE: Paint Brush Storage

Posted 05-06-2015 13:25
    This may not help at all, but I have installed soap/washcloth racks like you might install over a shower faucet in my shop over the sink.  the brushes hang down & drip dry.  I use plastic baskets for all dry materials on my shelves so we can see inside & they get air.

Debbie Corbin
    Drama & Musical director
    Branson High School
    Spokane MO

• 6.  RE: Paint Brush Storage

Posted 05-06-2015 15:07

Next to the sink I have a plastic crate on its side where we can put the brushes into the "holes" of the crate to dry and then we have three short buckets to organize the dry brushes:  large, medium, and small.  The smallest are in a tall cup.  Inside the crate I have the large bowl that we put in the sink for the brushes to soak.  Works well for us.

We also have a bench with a tray on it...kind of an old cookie sheet for drying small items, sponges, etc.

Carol Knarr Gebert
    Celina OH

• 7.  RE: Paint Brush Storage

Posted 05-06-2015 18:28
    We have a shelf that was built very simply over the sink and then just pounded nails into the shelf so the brushes hang to drip dry above the sink. A simple solution but it works well. ------------------------------ Melissa Sparks Troupe Director Portage MI ------------------------------

• 8.  RE: Paint Brush Storage

Posted 05-07-2015 11:42
    We just redid our paint clean up area and I love it. I will say the best thing purchased was a purdy brush and roller spinner. You can tell if brushes are clean when you spin them in a 5 gallon bucket and the brushes are mostly dry when hung up. http://www.amazon.com/Purdy-140755200-Cleaning-Roller-Spinner/dp/B00F29A7Y8 ------------------------------ Aileen Zeigler Theatre Arts Director Omaha NE ------------------------------