Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Cords and Awards

Posted 05-05-2015 12:17

I'm a new troupe director, and I am preparing for my end-of-year induction and awards ceremony.  Does anyone know of a list of awards and honors that are customarily given at the end of the year?

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Erica Muse
    Theatre Arts Instructor
    Chino Valley Unified School District
    Chino Valley AZ

• 2.  RE: Cords and Awards

Posted 05-06-2015 11:13

Although many of us use similar awards I do not know of an "official" list of awards. In my department we have a techie award, a most improved (male and female), a most dedicated (male and female) an MVP, 4 "bear cub"awards (one for each grade level and is given to the overall "best" thespian of the grade), a veteran award (to someone who's been involved in theatre all 4 years), and the coveted Grandma Schwartz award (an originally designed teddy bear that represents the most important show for that individual and is given to a senior).

Feel free to steal and adapt any of these ideas. I would look at your department, your students, and what you want to deal with and pick things that you are okay with repeating every year. If you have any brilliant ideas be sure to share them!  :)

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Cords and Awards

Posted 05-06-2015 11:40
    Thank you so much!  Love the Grandma Schwartz  :)

Erica Muse
    Theatre Arts Instructor
    Chino Valley AZ

• 4.  RE: Cords and Awards

Posted 05-06-2015 11:57

Still trying to find my way on this one, our second awards/induction night is coming up. For ours, I hold on to the trophies/prizes students win during the year at IE events, One Acts, and State festival. We will also be recognizing our students who have reached certain ranks, i.e. six students who achieved Honor Thespian, with the pin presented to them. As each new member is inducted, students will be toasted as they come up with a brief rundown of their achievements and why they're awesome.

Still negotiating with my troupe about more individual award categories. There was a fabulous discussion on this topic a while ago, with troupe directors giving really good responses for different categories, coming up with an alternative 'Oscar' ceremony but with a name that fits the school/program/character of the students. The deal is in setting it up, so that every show is recognized, as opposed to the one we've just done; I think next year I need more regular troupe business meetings in which members discuss as we go along the performances, start running up the shortlist of different categories, with some sort of accountability system - maybe you can only vote if you've been in or seen or worked all of the productions that year? Gonna figure this out next year. Like, over the summer, ready for next year.

Grandma Schwartz is a super cute idea, may well steal that for next year. :)

No one knows I steal most of my good ideas from Shira.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 5.  RE: Cords and Awards

Posted 05-07-2015 11:37

Thanks so much Philip!  It's nice to know I'm not the only one still figuring this all out :)  and also nice to know I'm not the only one looking to borrow ideas!
    Erica Muse
    Theatre Arts Instructor
    Chino Valley AZ

• 6.  RE: Cords and Awards

Posted 05-07-2015 11:29
    We have been doing our version of the OSCAR awards for 6 years now.  However, we call ours the "Gremies" since my last name is Gremel (it was decided by the students 6 years ago, when I took over the program)  We offer awards for each level of drama and tech that is voted on by the students of that class.  those winners receive a certificate for Best Actor/Actress, Ham of the Year, Diva of the Year.  For tech it is Best Lighting, Best Sound, Best Construction, Best Costumes.  I also give a Gremies Choice award to a student that goes above and beyond in the classroom (Usually given to the student that works hard, but doesn't get the big roles).  Then we offer up to any student that has been in or seen over half of the productions (which is most in the department) a chance to vote on the overall categories.  Best Supporting Actor/Actress.  Best Actor/Actress.  Best Tech Male/Female.  Outstanding Techie of the Year.  Best Comedic, Dramatic, and Musical Performance.  And Raven Player of the year.  I also choose a senior to receive the Best Thespian award.  Those awards receive an Oscar-like trophy with a cutout of my face attached to it.  Our Gremie Awards is always a huge success and everyone really loves the awards.  I have over 125 students vote on the overall awards.

Richard Gremel
    Theatre Teacher
    Tucson AZ

• 7.  RE: Cords and Awards

Posted 05-07-2015 11:41

That sounds so great Richard!  Thanks so much for sharing your ideas with us :)  I will definitely take the ideas I've seen here and begin adapting them into my program.

Erica Muse
    Theatre Arts Instructor
    Chino Valley AZ