Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Old lighting fixtures.

Posted 05-05-2015 11:09
    I am one of the lucky ones. My district was able to replace our lighting system with a much more up to date ETC system.  However, now I am faced with another problem.  What do I do with the extra Fresnels, Altman Ellipsoidals, and flood lights.  Any one have some suggestions.

------------------------------
    Andrew Fisher
    Canon City CO

• 2.  RE: Old lighting fixtures.

Posted 05-05-2015 11:22

We have to return them to the warehouse where other schools can "shop" for them. Or eventually go to public auction.

If you don't have to do that, put them up for sale online.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: Old lighting fixtures.

Posted 05-06-2015 06:01

Check with your school district's business manager.  There may legally be things you have to do to dispose of them.  In my district, it is through an auction that they have every year or so when they have a lot of extra stuff to get rid of.  Sadly, the money doesn't come back to us, but that's the way the law is written here.

Also, do you have a middle school in the district or nearby that is a feeder that could use them?  See if your school will work with you to make a donation!

Raymond Palasz
    Schererville IN

• 4.  RE: Old lighting fixtures.

Posted 05-06-2015 06:26

Hi,

Congratulations. Why not keep them? I have yet to find myself saying "I have too many lights". 

Thanks,

Dana

Dana Taylor
    MSD of Mt. Vernon
    Evansville IN

• 5.  RE: Old lighting fixtures.

Posted 05-06-2015 10:11

I'm with Dana in saying that it's difficult to have too many lights.  However, if your really do consider them to be excess inventory, then you should still think about keeping one or two of each type around for teaching purposes.  As your students move on to other facilities they won't always get to use the newest and shiniest, so having experience with a wide variety of lighting instruments can give them a better understanding of the advantages or limitations that each product offers.  Side-by-side comparisons can provide a better understanding of how and where each type of light source can be useful (this can be good assignments for extra credit reports, too).

It can also be quite educational to dissect a few of these to see how the inner workings are arranged and to exemplify how wiring can become frayed and dangerous.  Also consider scavenging parts from several similar fixtures to make one or two whole fixtures.

From a safety standpoint, it is advisable to go over each fixture and make sure that all of the electrical connections a secure and properly insulated from the fixture chassis.  This is particularly important if you are going to pass them on to another school in your district.  If the school district is going to handle the disposal of excess inventory by gift or sale to another entity, then the fixtures should come with an "as-is, no warranty expressed or implied, use at your own risk" disclaimer.

Go to the PLASA / ESTA web site (http://tsp.plasa.org/tsp/documents/published_docs.php) and download ANSI E1.32 - 2012, Guide for the Inspection of Entertainment Industry Incandescent Lamp Luminaires

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems

• 6.  RE: Old lighting fixtures.

Posted 05-06-2015 10:11
    If you are allowed to sell them, advertise them. Designers and decorators are using them to create vintage lighting fixtures. They are actually in great demand for this.

Donnie Bryan
    Department Chair of Visual and Performing Arts
    Nashville TN

• 7.  RE: Old lighting fixtures.

Posted 05-06-2015 17:12
    I agree with Eric 100% about keeping them for instructional purposes.  We have a very nice inventory of new instruments, and even have access to the latest moving fixtures through an agreement with a local lighting equipment supplier.  However, we still have "state of the art" fixtures from the early 70s that we use to train young LDs and MEs.  They certainly do not have access to the nicest fixtures when they go out and start working in the industry.

Tracy Nunnally
    Owner/President
    DeKalb IL

• 8.  RE: Old lighting fixtures.

Posted 05-06-2015 10:51

You could always check with your local community theater. I know we are always looking for lighting fixtures.

Alan Kay

• 9.  RE: Old lighting fixtures.

Posted 05-07-2015 01:36

Not only would does the adage of "can't have too many lights apply", your STEM teachers can be reminded of the how their subjects are connected to our art with the some of the technology of the old lights.  You might even get some extra cross-cirricular support if you speak their language, as it were.

My fellow physics, algebra, geometry and physical science teachers may need to be introduced to the applications of our content to theatre.  Energy efficiency of lights and color mixing are only a starting point.  Algebra 1 teachers can use the principle of the parabolic reflectors in PARs and ellipsoidals as applications of quadratic equations.  The Freshnel lens is named after the French physicists who developed it for use in lighthouses.  Physics teachers can discuss the forces involved in a properly rigged fly system.  Geometry teachers can discuss the use of sight lines in blocking and the dilations as seen in the increasing area light from a single fixture as the throw increases.

And these are just some of the examples I can see off the cuff.  If you have any need to help with that, let me know.

James "Jym" Kinney
    Troupe Director/Mathematics Instructor
    Tacoma WA