Open Forum

View Only

Scaled Down Fiddler ideas?

• 1.  Scaled Down Fiddler ideas?

Posted 05-01-2015 14:43

I am seriously considering directing Fiddler on the Roof at my school in the coming school year.  The show is perfect in so many ways for our very unique environment/community. 

The biggest issue we have in producing a show like this is the size of our stage and theater.  We have a pretty small stage and a house that seats 100 at full capacity.  Our stage is approximately 43' wide by 13' deep and virtually no wing space.  Small, for sure-  because our theatre is actually a converted Atrium in an office building that we converted into an arts school.  So we do the best we can and have had success, mostly with smaller scale shows with medium casts (usually no more than 20 or so).  

What I would like to discuss is several fold. 

1.  Has anyone produced/directed/been cast in a smaller scale Fiddler.  If so, do you have any set ideas that may work in a smaller space?  Have you ever hired a set designer to design a set with VERY specific spatial needs/custom design for your space?  If so-  can you give me some names or estimated costs?

2.  I wouldn't cast more than the minimum required for each cast member to play one role and provide the ensemble for the group scenes (MTI says that 21 is the minimum).  Do you think that our small space will somehow inhibit some of the choreography traditionally associated with the show (the bottle dance, To Life, etc...)?

3.  What are your experiences with scaling down the orchestra for the show?  We usually have to hire all of our musicians from outside our school, and could probably only have no more than 6-8 musicians at the most!

Since I am just in brainstorm mode, I am happy to hear suggestions, ideas, or if you think it just couldn't possibly work.  Seriously, don't be polite, just tell me the truth, as that will be the thing that will help the most.  

Thanks everyone, looking forward to your thoughts/replies.   

------------------------------
    Jarad Benn
    Theater Teacher, Center for Performing and Fine Arts
    Pa Leadership Charter School
    Langhorne PA

• 2.  RE: Scaled Down Fiddler ideas?

Posted 05-02-2015 11:05

Hey Jarad,

Odd spaces are a gift. They force me to think about a show in a completely different way. (A few years ago, a music student started to transcribe the score of "Phantom of the Opera" for two pianos, which led to a discussion of whether that show could be done in a small black box theatre?) They pose challenges that demand that I get to the heart of what the show's about, and strip away the iconic baggage that seems to follow certain shows around (I wince every time I see the box-step turntable blocking in "Les Miserables" or the zebra leggings-Santa Claus Angel in "RENT".  There have got to be other ways to do these). So I would definitely do "Fiddler" if it's got something to say to your community.

Some questions to answer that should shape some of the solutions to your challenges:What is "Fiddler on the Roof" really about? What's the story? (Not the play, not the scenery, not the lights, not even the music, but the story.) If you can tell this story effectively in your space, then go for it. What does the show absolutely demand? Again, it all goes back to storytelling. A house, interior and exterior, a bar, a street, a "dream sequence". Does any of this need to be realistic? Is "Fiddler" a realistic show? Can it be pared down to the simplest of story lines, set in a single, evocative setting? 

The set can be as simple as a painted drop, with images of a European shtetl at the turn of the century. Can you do projections? Then you could just find public domain pictures as a backdrop.  How about a series of panels with stylized images. (The original design was based on the paintings of Marc Chagall.  I'm not suggesting that you copy those, but it's an interesting frame of reference.)

You could do "Fiddler" with a small cast.  Who are your principals that could not be doubled? Tevye, Golde, 3 of his 5 daughters. Maybe Motel, Perchik, Fyedka, although they could be part of a "chorus" for bigger numbers like "Tradition" and "To Life".

I would cut the band down to the essential klezmer instruments- a piano, a clarinet, a fiddle, and some sort of percussion. That'll get you the sound that you need for the place and time period.

There's a lot of instrumental bits in "Fiddler" that could be rethought, in terms of blocking. Do you really need the bottle dance? The big Russian section in "To Life".  Can you use those sections, without cutting the music, to do other sorts of blocking to explore the scenes and relationships without having to do big production numbers?

Now I'm inspired to think about doing "Fiddler" at our school next year!

Good luck. Let us all know what you decide. 

Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    Alexandria VA

• 3.  RE: Scaled Down Fiddler ideas?

Posted 05-22-2015 12:01

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to let you know that we have decided to "GO FOR IT" and will be producing Fiddler this December at our school!  

The show will be, by far, the biggest musical done on our little stage, and it was your collective ideas that have inspired me to believe that it could be done!  

I thank you all, and my students, who are over the moon about doing this show, also thank you!  

Jarad Benn
    Langhorne PA

• 4.  RE: Scaled Down Fiddler ideas?

Posted 05-22-2015 12:04

Michael-  

Your post was super helpful!  Thanks so much!

Jarad Benn
    Langhorne PA

• 5.  RE: Scaled Down Fiddler ideas?

Posted 05-02-2015 14:47

I've never done Fiddler but your stage situation caught my eye. I don't have a stage or wings or curtains or anything. Our gym is transformed into a theatre - our stage is 44 wide so that's similar, but 13 deep - wow - that's a challenge!!

I just have a couple thoughts:                                                                                                                                     1. Use OrchExtra which would eliminate the space needed for an orchestra - space you could use for scenes.       2. Do you have any room for small side stages added at an angle off to the side or somewhere? I use these all the time.                                                                                                                                                                             3. Use a set piece about a foot in depth with doors. This give you the front, opened front, back, opened back = four scenes.     

I just finished The Music Man and used library backdrops I purchased on ebay for the Library scene. They were inexpensive and beautiful!! They easily mounted on flats.

If you really feel it's the show you should do, then do it!! The creativity will come :)

Connie Sandoz
    Theatre Director
    Henderson NV

• 6.  RE: Scaled Down Fiddler ideas?

Posted 05-03-2015 22:08
    I had the great delight of performing in 'Fiddler' at the Edinburgh Festival several years ago. Our space was fairly right, so our production made use of the space very cleverly, and made Fiddler into a Promenade performance. The only set pieces we had were Tevye's wagon, and various benches, a table, some candles, some other period knick knacks, and the like. Very intimate, very effective, and brought out the 'community' feel of the play, the way Tevye draws you in and involves you in the story of his family and the broader story of Anatevka...Might be worth a thought. 

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 7.  RE: Scaled Down Fiddler ideas?

Posted 05-04-2015 22:05

Our community theatre just produced the show on a stage that was not much bigger than 20' x 20'.  They had about 20 in the cast which took up most of the space.  Everything was scaled way down...a house that spun to be an outer building and opened to be the inner house.  They had a bench and a well and a bit of a make shift bar with benches and one table for Lazar and Tevye.  It was tight.  When Tevye brought on the wagon...a rather small one...it was tighter still.

I think musicals are about the music.  Communities are super understanding of space.  Focus on music, costumes, and mood.

I have a huge space, but didn't want a bunch of buildings.  I designed an open "backdrop" of 2 x 4 that represented a house, barn, and another building.  The cyc lights showed through and we brought out set pieces, but not big sets.  It was rather lovely...artistic...imaginative.  The Start of David was a focal point.

I've never received so many comments of the set...that truly wasn't!

Carol Knarr Gebert
    Celina OH

• 8.  RE: Scaled Down Fiddler ideas?

Posted 05-08-2015 08:26

I have directed Fiddler Jr. and played Golde in a full-scale production as well. I think you can absolutely do Fiddler on a smaller scale. A small house facade that can open like a book to reveal the inside of the house is all  you need. The wedding, street scenes, "Anatevka", even Motel's shop can all happen in front of the house or off to the side.

I don't know what you're audience seating arrangement is, but the choreo for "Tradition," "To Life," and the wedding including the bottle dance can start in the aisles and move to the stage or happen on both the stage and among the audience. 

Our community theatre production had piano, drums, violin (fiddle) and a clarinet. It was intimate and beautiful.

The only challenge I can think of is having room to bring the bed on for Tevye's Dream. If you do Fiddler Jr. instead of the full-length Fiddler, they cut the dream, so you wouldn't have to worry about it. In the full-length, the only larger pieces that we had come on and off was Tevye's wagon, the bed, and Motel's sewing machine. In Fiddler Jr., there was only the wagon.

Gail Bartell
    Altamonte Springs FL

• 9.  RE: Scaled Down Fiddler ideas?

Posted 05-11-2015 11:18

Thank you everybody!  All great ideas!  Lots to mull over!  I especially love the notion that the "Tradition" of Sholem's stories could be the essential conceptual notion.  That Tevye is the "story teller", therefore a "real" house, tailor shop, etc... might not be necessary.  

Jarad Benn
    Langhorne PA

• 10.  RE: Scaled Down Fiddler ideas?

Posted 05-22-2015 12:03

Hi Gail-

For your production of Fiddler, were you able to find a reduced score for your smaller instrumentation or did you have in house orchestrators to help with that?

Just curious!  Thanks!

JB

Jarad Benn
    Langhorne PA

• 11.  RE: Scaled Down Fiddler ideas?

Posted 05-26-2015 08:12

JB,

Our music director, along with the musicians themselves, came up with their instrumentation for the 4 piece ensemble; violin/fiddle, clarinet, piano, drums.

Gail Bartell
    Altamonte Springs FL