Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Tech Theatre supplies and curriculum

Posted 05-01-2015 10:13

I have convinced the district of the need for a tech theatre class for next year. As this will only be my second year, equipment is pretty skimpy from the past (we have one saw and three drills, all of which we share with the local Jr. High). What equipment would you say is absolutely necessary for a tech theatre class?

Along the same note, I am hoping to utilize this class to help build sets and create props, but is there any specific curriculum or lessons that you find useful or necessary?

------------------------------
    Karissa Talty
    Troupe Director
    Springfield MO

• 2.  RE: Tech Theatre supplies and curriculum

Posted 05-01-2015 10:45

I had a similar problem when I originally came to my school. We had more tools but not ones that work together. For example, I had screws and hammers but no drills or nails. You can actually accomplish quite a lot with minimal tools. It's not time efficient but it works.

Saw horses, hand saws, a Mider saw, clamps, corded and cordless drill, battery charger, extra batteries, screws of varying sizes, philips and flathead screwdrivers, hammer and nails, tape measure. chalk line, level, gorilla glue, paint, brushes, stir sticks, drop clothes, rags, box cutters, writing untensils, safety goggles, hearing protection, gloves, skilsaw, and a work bench.

I'm sure I'm missing some things...

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Tech Theatre supplies and curriculum

Posted 05-02-2015 08:48

This really depends on your skill levels in the various technical theater areas you want to teach.  Even techs at the Guthrie in Minneapolis are all going to have different comfort levels in different areas.  I, for example, can weld-- but do not like to.  So I would look at it that way.  What sorts of things do you want to do and what tools will you need for those units.  In terms of tools for production, you might be able to acquire them over time, and charge them to the particular production they are used for.

That being said-- we pursue the following units in my tech classes and use the following supplies

Scene Design-- cardstock, water color paper, foam core, glue, rulers, water color pencils, artist paint brushes

Costume design-- same as above

Lighting design-- we draw the plots by hand using scale templates on a scale floor plan of the theater that I provide to them.  My advanced students draw their plots by hand as well and I have one drafting table and a briefcase full of hand drafting tools.  I'd like to get a computer and CAD Standard for them, but have not done that yet.  In terms of the execution of the design, we do that as a class in the theater.  I have them do this in a group -- one does sound design, one designs the lighting, one serves as board op, one as master elec and then we have a performer on stage.

I also do a little unit on flat construction and scene painting-- for this we make 1/3 scale flats and I use real lumber and what not.  We make the corner blocks and straps and I rip the 1 by for them and cut it to length on a Saturday or during my planning.  Then, we use diluted wood glue, utility knives, paint brushes, sponges, hammers, panel nails, muslin and paint to create sample paint flats-- I have them do faux bricks, wood and sky with clouds on their sample flat.  I think this is a fun project.

We also design and build the set for the winter or spring play and to be honest that supply list varies from production to production-- but some of the stuff we use is a miter saw, hammers, nails, screw guns, screws, glue, paint, paint brushes, finches, rollers, muslin, knives, flame treatment, skill saw, table saw, jig saw.  Many of these tools are off limits to my students-- such as the table saw and miter saw-- I just do not feel that I want to take the risk here-- but they do many things in the theater from light hang to load in and load out.  We also have a collection of sewing machines and what not, but I would like to work on this area.

Of other concerns is where will students work with these tools-- do you have a scene shop?  That can be a big determining factor in what you want to take on.

Hope that helps a bit.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 4.  RE: Tech Theatre supplies and curriculum

Posted 05-02-2015 10:29

Hi,

Yes to all the tools mentioned and perhaps add a panel saw, pneumatic stapler, jig saw, speed square, framing square, clamps, socket set, extension cords and a pry bar. I did an article in the March or Apr. 2014 edition of Dramatics on tools for a well equipped scene shop. It isn't in the schooltheatre.org archive but if you still have it, it might prove helpful.

There are two larger questions to be asked. What tools do you know how to use and what will be the purpose of the class? If you lack competence or confidence in the tools listed then they are an accident waiting to happen. Can you document your own competence and in turn, document student competence? Administrators have a tendency to believe theatre teachers know all about the behind the scenes activities and we are unlikely to disabuse them of this notion. The reality is that we often do not know and begin leaning on parent volunteers and the kids who have taken industrial arts classes.

If it is your desire to have this class build your sets, then all of the above takes on a greater importance. Students should understand the concepts of flat and platform construction, platform legging, appropriate bracing, scenic painting techniques, stair construction and the like. They should also know how to hang and focus light and how to use the light board (patch, create cues, create submasters) and the sound board (bring up mics, use monitors, deal with feedback and add clarity to what is being heard.

If it is your desire to acquaint your students with the many and varied aspects of technical theatre then you likely will be able to offer a richer experience. When asked, I generally advise teaching your existing equipment (rigging, light and sound boards, mics, lights and the like). There is a year's worth of lesson plans in these tools alone. And, whatever direction you opt to go, teach safe practice and verify student competence.

Thanks,

Dana 

Dana Taylor
    MSD of Mt. Vernon
    Evansville IN

• 5.  RE: Tech Theatre supplies and curriculum

Posted 05-03-2015 09:20

Many others have given you a list of tools you need for a scene shop, and have added much depends on your comfort level. I can't stress this enough, you have to not only know how to use the tools safely but you need to be able to teach how to use the tools safely. A chop saw can be imposing for many students and adults but is relativity safe compared to a circular saw. Safe operation of both is imperative to keep all students and teachers with full original equipment.

If you need to get tools I have found donorschoose.com an extremely useful website to get funding for projects. Also if you have FFA or shop classes they might have unused tools they will let you borrow.

Lessons: I start each unit with unit specific safety and history. I would start with the big overreaching arcs of study depending on your comfort level: Rigging (with knot tying), Theater spaces, Lights, Sound, Construction (Props and scenic with painting), Costume (including makeup), Design elements, and management (including all positions in a production). You can add all the film positions with hierarchy. You can teach a level I course and never leave the classroom with nothing more dangerous than a pair of scissors. I spend weeks on measuring, fractions and how to read a ruler. Don't assume your students will know which end of the screwdriver is the business end.

Projects: start small, for flats we spend one period building scale Popsicle stick and paper flats, and move up to mini Hollywood flats. Toothpick towers and bridges are great for design. Cardboard boxes from the work room for models.

As for building sets, start manageable, I try to keep in mind the comfort level of the student builders. Inspect everything, you can find the strangest of errors: Especially when it comes to bracing. I give scale drawings for everything they are building. Vector works will give teachers a free version of their software, if you don't know how to use it. Learn, it can be invaluable when showing set layouts.

I hope this helps.

Greg Alldredge
    Tech Theater Teacher
    Cypress Fairbanks ISD
    Cypress TX

• 6.  RE: Tech Theatre supplies and curriculum

Posted 05-03-2015 13:57
    You might want to try finding a local chapter of USITT (United States Institute of Technical Theatre). They have loads of resources for curriculum. They will also come to your school to do free workshops and they might be really happy to help you set up this new course. They like to support young techies that are learning & growing. ------------------------------ Jeana Whitaker Theatre Director Mesa AZ ------------------------------

• 7.  RE: Tech Theatre supplies and curriculum

Posted 05-03-2015 21:51

First, congratulations on the convincing! And second, congratulations on getting a tech theatre class! 

Now, read everything over several times. The advice you've been given here is golden. Wish I'd asked and gotten it a year ago when I started. I've spent the year learning what and how to do tech theatre teaching. I do think my second year will be a thousand times better than the first. Super grateful for the helpful responses posted above!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 8.  RE: Tech Theatre supplies and curriculum

Posted 05-04-2015 10:05

Hi Karissa.  There have been some wonderful advice for building your tech program on this strand.  Here is my addition.  I taught theatre at Hazelwood West in St Louis (school population 1,400 grades 9-12), and we had a really strong tech theatre program.  I taught all tech classes and a Theatre Practicum class, and we had a full time performance person and a half time Intro person.  Earlier, I tried to attach some handouts I use in workshops about:

"Building Your Tech Theatre Program" and

"Organizing Your Backstage Areas and Tech Tips"

but must have done something wrong.  If you want to contact me with your email address, I can send you the attachments.   

bob@interactiveeducationalvideo.com

You're on the right track, building a strong tech program.  Our entire program flourished as the tech program grew.

Robert Fowler
    Co-Developer
    Interactive Educational Video, LLC
    Chesterfield MO