Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  film equipment

Posted 04-29-2015 11:34
    Next year I'm teaching a screenacting/short film semester-long class. Dramatics had an article in 2011 about suggested equipment, but since technology changes so quickly, I thought I would see if there is anything new out there you would recommend. The budget camera mentioned in the article is the Canon HFR10 with external microphone input for $300. I am also weighing the option of having students use their iphones, since so many of them have this technology these days. If so, thinking of getting a Pico Dolly camera table dolly that you can mount an iphone on. Any ideas for what would give me the best bang for the buck to start up this class? Thanks! ------------------------------ Debbie MacKinney Theatre Teacher, CTE Technical Theater, Troupe 7334 Advisor Tanque Verde Unified School District Tucson AZ ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: film equipment

Posted 04-29-2015 12:46

I have done some film making in my classes this year.  I actually wrote a grant for two HD handheld camcorders (Samsung), two tripods, some editing software, green screen kit and some SD cards.

Our district has a strict NO PERSONAL DEVICE policy, so using their own devices wasn't in the cards any way.  Even if I had that option, I would just worry about connecting their devices to any school computer - but that's just me. 

Personally, I prefer a non "device" camera for actual film making because I think you get better control/quality on things like zoom, especially since most device cameras can only do a digital zoom and not an optical zoom. 

You could possibly get away with them doing some of the film acting assignments with the phones though, because if the focus is on the acting, then it should be fine for that purpose.

The thing that I wish I had (I had written into the grant, but couldn't order it....long story, lesson learned) is the external mic.  It really is imperative for any sort of medium to long shot, ESPECIALLY if you are going to film outside or in a non-controlled environment with sound. I've filmed many a scene this year only to get to editing and realize that while the shot looked flawless, the sound was terrible. 

------------------------------
    Jennifer Simmons
    Lexington SC

• 3.  RE: film equipment

Posted 04-30-2015 08:54
    Thanks for the ideas. What external mic do you use, and do you like it? We don't have a super strict policy on phones. I have 70 kids signed up for the class, so even if it is semester long and half are in each semester, I didn't think we would get much done if there is only one camera. (Which I'm not even sure I have time to get before school starts back in August). My thought was if different students use different devices, they can upload to a cloud account rather than attach the phone to the computer. The focus is split between acting and short film making, so I'm hoping it grows both my tech theatre classes by introducing new students to theatre. And gives us time to create something for the short film category for competitions, which we never have time to do! ------------------------------ Debbie MacKinney Theatre Teacher, CTE Technical Theater, Troupe 7334 Advisor Tanque Verde Unified School District Tucson AZ ------------------------------

• 4.  RE: film equipment

Posted 05-01-2015 07:28
    Buy yourself a mic boom for the mic.  It's very inexpensive but will improve your sound quality.  Also consider a couple of floodlights on height-adjustable stands and/or a reflector or two.  A little additional control over your lighting will enhance your film.

Rick Osann
    Theatre Teacher
    Standish ME

• 5.  RE: film equipment

Posted 05-25-2015 16:44

Thanks for the tips--I was awarded a grant to purchase an apple computer, one video camera, and two external mics.  

If anyone has lessons on screen acting vs. stage acting, or making short films, I will gladly welcome them. This class now gives me six preps so I have a lot to get ready over the summer in addition to reading plays and selecting shows.   

Thanks again for a great forum of ideas.

Debbie MacKinney
    Theatre Teacher, CTE Technical Theater, Troupe 7334 Advisor
    Tanque Verde Unified School District
    Tucson AZ