Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Production Fatigue

Posted 04-28-2015 08:19

Three years ago I added a Freshman/Sophomore production to our schedule. This would give the Fr/Soph stage time because I tend to use Juniors/Seniors in the main-stage shows. This year we had 6 productions in our schedule: Fall play/musical, state competition play, Winter talent show, Spring production, Freshman/Sophomore production, and student written one-act plays.

It's killing me. I do almost everything. Stagecraft class helps but very few of the students work after school on shows. I don't know how to get parents involved and I tend to be protective and I don't let go of responsibility easily. I may have too high of expectations for my productions.

It's late in the year and I'm feeling the burn-out coming on!

We are cutting out the Fr/Soph play next year because the Principal see's my classwork suffering because of the production schedule. 

The question: How do I get parents involved in helping with the Fall musical? How can I let go and allow the students more independence yet maintain quality? How do I get the students to respect the program and take pride in what they do?

Thanks, I needed that bit of venting.

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 2.  RE: Production Fatigue

Posted 04-28-2015 11:14

I completely understand. It's really hard when everything falls on your shoulders. (maybe's it's time to get yourself a treat?) Anyway (and this was REALLY hard to do the first time) I created a full student production team to help out. I have student assistant directors, stage managers, assistant stage mangers, and occasionally have a student who gets to direct a main stage production. In order to do this they need to have worked as an asst. stage manager, stage manager, asst. directed at least twice, and have directed a 1-act play for one of our Evening of Theatre performances. Having all of the kids so involved has created a lot of buy-in into all of the performances and allows me to split up rehearsal time more efficiently. I also use the club time to work on set building. The kids know that every other week is going to me something "active" instead of paperwork.

Getting some of your senior techs involved could allow you to have the show for the underclassmen without overloading you. Maybe have rehearsals for both shows simultaneously. Have 1-2 techs working with the underclassmen while you work with the main stage group and a few other techs.  

Getting parents involved is something that doesn't really work where I am either. Don't get me wrong, they are wonderfully supportive, but they don't have the time, or inclination, to build (for the most part). Having the kids do the work helps relieve the pressure on my shoulders and is a good learning experience for them... and they have fun doing it. People bring in snacks to share during breaks, they play music, and they create small games/competitions to keep everyone upbeat. 

It takes time to build up a fully trained student production crew BUT it's really worth it when the work is done. At this point, I don't have to do a ton to continue training up new crew. The kids take that on. As they get older and handle more responsibility, the kids pass their knowledge on to the "new" techs. At this point I have 2 kids (I guess one doesn't count since she graduates in 6 weeks) who can direct a main stage production. Four who can run the backstage as a stage manager (with 2 more up and coming), and a bout 6 who can direct a 1-act. It's taken me about 4 years to get to this point but... it's done. Now I can sit back (a little) and watch the kids proudly take point. 

I promise it gets easier to "let go" after the first time. Your kids will "do you proud"  :)

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Production Fatigue

Posted 04-28-2015 11:47

I'm with Shira, it does take time. I'm in my second year, and it's still overwhelming, but she's absolutely spot on: when you start releasing control of the first thing, the second comes a lot easier. The students know your passion and your standards, and once they see that you're putting more responsibility on them, those high standards filter through and they will try their best with their current skill set to learn what they need to learn. Last year my students were shocked when I started putting more of the responsibility for the running of the show on the stage manager; they hadn't experienced that before with the previous two theatre teachers they had, as they were running everything, and playing the role of stage manager and director, as well as Master Carpenter, Head Costumer, Prop Master, Lighting Engineer, etc., etc. Once I started giving control to the kids (and I will caveat that it has to be the right kid - you might lose a quality performer, but they might also be your best stage manager ever!), a lot more of my head space was available as my SMs ran the rehearsal schedule, props, lists, things that needed doing, the 1,001 item list that it's hard to manage as we also have to teach as well as run a quality theatre program.

I'm not where Shira is, still got another 2-3 years, but I can see already in this second year how much less stressed I am. We have done/will have done 9 different productions this year (an IE night, 4 one act plays, 2 Shakespeare, West Side Story, 2 student written one act plays, plus a new Improv night) but I don't feel as overwhelmed this year as I did with my 3 productions last year!

Parental involvement is always tricky. I serve a minority, blue-collar population where parents mostly support their children's involvement, but are either too poor or busy working in low paying jobs just to get food on the table. The sacrifice they are already making is pretty great, in some cases, as they lose a babysitter for siblings when I have their child in rehearsal. Again, with my limited experience, it does seem that time will bring them. Last year, no one. This year, one of my student's moms split cooking of the cast meals with my wife, so we weren't the only ones cooking/providing food for our cast. I also had a parent of one of my elementary students involved in 'West Side Story' working the box office. Another parent offered concessions help. Several parents volunteered for Chaperone duties at the district IE competition (with only a little bribery: a free ticket here, reduced competition fees for their child/subsidized). I feel that there will be more later as we continue.

As to building, I think Shira's advice again holds water. Flipping meetings between paperwork and building breaks up the monotony a little bit, if stagecraft class has too much to do. I've generally operated on the basis that we're broke, so our sets and worlds are intentionally minimalistic. One day I will have to build a fancy, elaborate set, but that day may be a couple of years away yet.

It is that time of the year. The students are done, we're done, but we still have a month left (or more). Keep up your stamina, get yourself a treat, do some exercise, smile. This too shall pass!  

Phillip Goodchild
    Ruskin FL

• 4.  RE: Production Fatigue

Posted 04-29-2015 08:53

I agree with you all. When you let your students "own it" they take on that responsibility with more sincerity. It is hard at first. As a Tech Director, I still cringe from time to time during a production. They are harder on themselves and each other when they truly take on the responsibility.

Donnie Bryan
    Department Chair of Visual and Performing Arts
    Nashville TN

• 5.  RE: Production Fatigue

Posted 04-28-2015 12:12

Realized that I didn't tackle the question quite thoroughly;

How do you get parents involved?

-Takes time. My parent cook's elementary and high school daughters were in my production. She also thinks I'm some sort of magical being, seeing how her older daughter has blossomed and changed and transformed through her involvement with theatre. I really didn't do anything but gently nudge her along. But her mother and father are totally sold on our program because of that. So it's not an easy question to answer because her help was unsought, and just offered based on what transformation she's seen in her daughter. There are others, I'm sure, and I'm beginning to note that the parents of those shy, retiring types are most enthusiastic in helping, as they see first hand the power of theatre arts involvement. Which is nice.

-Choose a musical in which you can get elementary students in the cast. Or force them in; we had 8 elementary girls playing the role of Anybody's in West Side Story. 40 in our production of Wizard of Oz. Elementary parents as a rule of thumb seem to be way more eager and excited to help than the average high school parent. Over half of those parents for Oz insisted on helping in make-up, costuming, snacks, etc. They probably would have done more, but it was my first high school production ever, so I was still clutching onto everything I could. When I have that many parents offering to help again, I'm definitely going to jump on it.

-Induction night. You've done 6 productions this year, which sounds like many students earned points or enough points to get inducted. Use the induction night to promote the Parent Booster club. Offer incentives; booster membership gets you a free ticket to each show of the year. Chaperoning or building X number of hours earns another ticket, something like that. When the parents start getting the one free ticket, it's likely that they're going to call on more people to come see their baby in their latest show, so you shouldn't lose too much in ticket sales (the booster club fee should offset it a little bit, plus by their involvement you're buying yourself some sanity).

-How do I let go/give independence/responsibility to students whilst still maintaining quality?

-It's definitely hard. You know when you have your own kids, and they want to help you sweep the floor, or make the bed, or do the dishes? They're like 4 years old or something. Worst thing as a parent you can do is say no; what's worse is if you let them do it, then go around after them to 'correct' what they do. So...there might be a slight dip in the quality. A slight one. BUT you're giving your students something incredibly valuable by letting them 'make the bed'. They are going to know it's not perfect - they've seen what a well-made bed looks like, but a four year old might get it perfectly wrinkle free, or they might pull the sheet at a crooked angle, but they are going to get it right on successive attempts. They have to make the mistakes in order to learn. Give them room to fail, that's what the rehearsal is for. On our recent West Side Story, I merely facilitated my stage manager and lighting tech to punch through the cues together. During tech run, I patiently waited for them to work through the issues, asked questions, probed thinking, asked them to explain their process, etc. On production night, my tech crew made one mistake. Which was nice. You are still overseeing it, but now you're moving it into the master/apprentice role. Once the kids have had sufficient practice, you can let off even more, and watch as Shira's model takes over: the kids will start training each other. Theatre is such a wonderful opportunity for kids to grow through being given real responsibility over a real, tangible thing, that has a public audience.

-How do I get them to respect the program and take pride in what they do?

-One, they're teenagers, and may not show respect in the same way we expect respect to look like. They may not also be able to articulate it yet. There's obvious disrespect, and that shouldn't be tolerated, but this is another role or part of our curriculum - to teach them the ways in which to show respect for you, the program, the work, etc. Generally, I'm sure they do respect your program and you in ways you might not even realize: John, you strike me as very passionate about theatre, as well as being willing to ask difficult questions (I'm so glad you asked about being disorganized: until you said it, I thought I was the only one!) that don't have easy answers. But again, your students already respect you or they wouldn't be involved with your program. Those who don't, might be dealing with stuff way out of your control. It's another opportunity to teach them about how the world works. Give respect, get respect, blah yadda rakka yap yap.

Okay, that's enough writing. Sorry to talk your ear off, and hope it helps even a smidgeon. Keep up the good work!

Phillip Goodchild
    Ruskin FL

• 6.  RE: Production Fatigue

Posted 04-28-2015 19:23

I'm constantly noodling over these issues.  Have lately been thinking about making "production hours" a requirement of some or all of my theatre classes next year.  I haven't thought through thisin depth but I'm thinking there would be a list of jobs from ushering to set building and students would need to meet their hours requirement for that portion of the grade. 

Sandra Dietel
    Blythewood SC

• 7.  RE: Production Fatigue

Posted 04-29-2015 08:06
    While my season is nowhere near as tight as yours at school, I also run a community theatre, and am tied up with that for a good chunk of time.  What I  had been doing was our "newbie" show or New Talent Workshop was an evening of student directed one acts.  Instead of a Freshmore show, we allowed anyone who had not been our productions before to audition for this.  Having them student directed freed me up to do other things while supervising the upper classmen who were directing.  This year I decided to direct the "Newbie" myself and I regret it.  Next year we will be going back to the student directeds.  I do not do the talent show at our school.  This has always been the bailiwick of another teacher and is not a product of the Theatre Department.  The only problem with this is the auditorium turf wars that take place, but I'm usually pretty flexible when it comes to this and move my rehearsals to another space for their tech week.

Robert DiMartino
    Theatre Teacher
    Cumberland High School
    West Warwick RI

• 8.  RE: Production Fatigue

Posted 04-29-2015 08:12

It is important to remember that we are educators first and directors second. If the quality slips a bit, that's fine. You have teachable moments now. Help students learn to analyze and regroup and plan for future successes. Remember that process is so important. Product, while important, should not be the only measure of success with a production. By allowing the students more ownership in the process, they will take pride. I was once in your shoes and had to let go for my sanity. 

In the end, if the students learned something, you have succeeded. The families will enjoy the production even when you may feel it isn't completely up to your standards. 

Scott Wilson
    Ohio
    Columbus OH

• 9.  RE: Production Fatigue

Posted 04-29-2015 13:05

I'm at a middle school, so it is a little different.  As a second year teacher, I'm still in that "trying to find what works for me" mode.

The past two years with me, I've done 4 major productions, with three of the shows double-cast, since I do the same show for each grade, but with two different classes for each.  Because of the nature of our program, we do everything in class, except for one week of tech rehearsals after school, and then the show.

Purely based on the financial situation at my school and the needs of my students, I try to keep production costs super low.  This, in itself, inherently scales down any production's "spectacle" factor.  We don't do major sets.  I have 9 rehearsal boxes in my room that I've already painted several times that we use for pretty much everything.  At first I would just paint them myself, which became daunting, so this year I let the kids paint them.  I was honestly amazed at how excited they were to do this.  So LET THEM!  I do, of course, sometimes look at the work and sort of cringe because it isn't exactly how I would do it....but then it melts away when I realize that very same kid is probably going to have a conversation after the show and say "Hey mom, did you see that ____ on stage...I painted that!"  (The side note, too, is that I also make sure to make a big ordeal about the stuff in the program so that it is clear that STUDENTS did it). 

I've also worked with the art teacher to do some of the stuff - she loves to collaborate with me, which also gets more kids to the show because they are vested in the show.

And just keep in mind that not every show is a giant spectacle.  Even on Broadway.  In fact, I have shared with my kids over and over about how my most favorite recent production is actually Peter and the Starcatcher.  Which, if you've seen the show, is completely amazing, but done in a low key, DIY-ish way. 

Jennifer Simmons
    Lexington SC