Open Forum

View Only

How does your school fund Musicals?

• 1.  How does your school fund Musicals?

Posted 04-27-2015 14:15
    How does your school fund your musical. It's my first year here and I want to get in the habit of doing a musical every other year. But I'm struggling figuring out how to fund the stipend for my choir director and orchestra director. It feels strange to take this money out of ASB funds. Does your district pay for these stipends? Does the building? Do you get the money from somewhere else?

------------------------------
    Bryan Sullivan
    Theatre Director
    Silverdale WA

• 2.  RE: How does your school fund Musicals?

Posted 04-27-2015 14:59

We currently do a musical every other year as well. We don't get any help with the costs. Everything has to come out of the club budget. One way we help defray the costs is through a tax credit program that is offered in our state. People here can donate up to $200 each to an educational institution/program and are given credits on their state taxes.

We also have sponsors for our club and have donation jars at our show. Even then we have to be really careful on budgeting for musicals because of the cost...

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE:How does your school fund Musicals?

Posted 04-27-2015 15:08
    We are 100% self-funded. Ticket sales from one show fund the next. I keep my whole season in mind when I budget for the year. If I know I have a high cost show in the spring, I try to counter with keeping costs low earlier.

-------------------------------------------
    Heather Brandon
    Bakersfield CA

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 4.  RE: How does your school fund Musicals?

Posted 04-28-2015 06:35
    We do a fall musical every year. The district pays my stipend, everything else we pay for. When I started we were in a deep hole and the school decided it was sink or swim. We worked on volunteers as much as possible, did 50/50 raffles, pushed concessions, and sold ads and got sponsors for the curtains. We also cut budgets to the bone. Gradually we built up enough to feel comfortable. The big breakthrough came with "the Wizard of Oz". That show did so well we are now able to support our auditorium's improvement programs and fund an annual scholarship for techies. 

Rob Juergens
    High School Musical Director
    Windham ME

• 5.  RE: How does your school fund Musicals?

Posted 04-29-2015 12:16

I am a very lucky teacher!

While we are completely self-funded, I get a huge amount of non-financial support from the district. We do many fund-raisers including concessions sales for winter sports and sometime supplying student tech support to renters of our theatre. This pays for the royalties and production costs.

The district supplies approximately 3 weeks each of rent-free time in our 935 seat Performing Arts Center for all three shows we do every year. This includes a technical director and an adult lead technician. All other technical staff is filled in by our students in the technical theatre program (40 hours of intern work is required for the class) and from other student volunteers. The set building is done by the tech director and lead technician (their "building" time is limited by the district managing director of theatres) and any other students who come in to volunteer their time.

I have a full-year assistant director position that is split between my costumer and my program coordinator/typist. I also have stipends for the choreographer, band director, orchestra director and vocal music director when we do our Winter Musical. We also are given funds to hire a rehearsal and performance accompanist for the musical. The band and orchestra director split the rehearsal and conducting duties as our musical invariably comes right at the competition season for both of their groups.

The "down-side" to all of this largess is that I have no control of the schedule. My fall show is always opening the 1st full week of November, the winter musical is always opening the 1st full week of March, and the spring show (no matter what the size and scope) is always moved aside for one weekend in May for a community scholarship concert. (So... the set must be movable, and there is no backstage storage for sets!)

Next year .... "Arsenic and Old Lace", "Damn Yankees!" and "Arms and the Man". I can hardly wait! (OMG: The female Odd Couple opens in three weeks!)
    Warren Kerr -Theatre Arts

Auburn High School
    Auburn School District
    Auburn, WA

• 6.  RE: How does your school fund Musicals?

Posted 04-28-2015 15:51

The stipends for the Director, the Costume Coordinator and the Technical Director are stipends paid by the district. Compared to the totals that I saw on a recent feed that some of you are getting, ours are paltry. These stipends were established before I started teaching here 27 years ago.  They didn't do many musicals and I don't know if or how they paid anyone else when they did.  Also before I came, they got the district to make a commitment toward royalties. As they didn't do many musicals, what they gave probably covered it.  That fund is now somewhere around $2000. So, with 9 performances of the musical it certainly doesn't come close to covering the cost of rentals and royalties but it helps.

When I was hired to head the theatre arts program, the band director, the choir director and I started doing musicals every year.  They were so happy to have them back on a routine basis that, for many years, they volunteered their time.  On and off I tried to get stipends for the music director, the vocal director and the choreographer added to no avail -- I will tell you, honestly, that most of the time, it was stopped on the union level. They refused to put it on the table.  Finally, one year I had enough and I told students, parents, the bargaining team that the musical that I had announced for the following year would be the last one unless I could get stipends for those positions. After 15 years of musicals that were about to go away, the union finally sat down those of us on the directing teams at the schools in the district. We had a great meeting in early December; everything good to go.  In January, the bottom fell out in the CA economy with huge freezes being put on budgets. One of the way the district dealt with it was -- no new stipends!  Okay, but I'm holding firm, no more musicals.  Well, the parents rallied and asked if they could start a booster club to raise the funds for the stipends.  I was hesitant.  I had seen what hell other booster clubs had put teachers through. I made it clear that raising funds was the only purpose of the booster club. They were not to dictate policy, become stage parents, etc. As that first group had no desire to do so, that was the climate that was created for the boosters and I have been delighted to have them in my corner for the last seven years. They not only raise funds for those stipends but they raised money so we could fly actors in Willy Wonka, they have purchased new equipment for the building, etc. 

Other than that, we are 100% self-supporting... and I am glad for it. Regardless of the economy, our budget cannot be touched by admin because it is a club and all of the money goes into our account in the ASB funds. 

Hope that helps.

Helen Dixon
    Oakley CA

• 7.  RE: How does your school fund Musicals?

Posted 04-28-2015 07:19

We fund our musicals through ticket sales.  This requires a lot of budget planning.  My stipend is from the school system directly, but other fees have to come from our show account (including FICA cost).

Steven Fleming
    Howard County Public School System

• 8.  RE: How does your school fund Musicals?

Posted 04-28-2015 07:36

Our musicals are self-funded as well.  I get a stipend as a percentage of my contract, but I have to pay the music director and choreographer out of the show budget.  The fall musical pays for the spring show, the competition one-act's production and travel budget, and the start-up costs on the next year's musical.  To help defray costs, I charge the actors a nominal costume fee; this pays for their show t-shirts and any additional costume costs.  It doesn't cover all of the costume budget, but it goes a long way.  I don't fund raise, and I don't have booster parents, so what I make on the show is what I have to work with.  

I was very lucky when I inherited the program.  The director I replaced had ended her time in the program with Hairspray, and it left me with a very healthy budget surplus, which gave me the luxury of working on smaller shows and not have to worry about turning a profit for my first year or two.   It also enabled me to spend more building up our costume collection and building some permanent flats and platforms that has cut way down on our per-show expenses.  

Robert Ellis
    North Richmond VA

• 9.  buy in

Posted 04-28-2015 08:18

Big sports coaches get stipends for assistants...  Convince your administration that this is as important as some of the sports out there... 

As far as our funding we get stipends for Director, Choreographer, Choral, and Pit Dir. 

Get buy-in form your community, kids,and admin on EVERy show!

My average budget for a musical is about 5000 - 6000.  (footloose was 4000, Oz was more like 6000 - Beauty and the beast wasw around 12,000)  Of course we just finished a run of a re-write of Aristophanes "The Frogs" and we spent under $100 total... Dry ice and posters taking the entire $94) 

what do any of you spend on a musical anyway???

- drama dan
    Daniel Stowell
    Teacher / Director
    Dublin OH

• 10.  ticket sales

Posted 04-28-2015 08:20
    Tix are our budget. The more seats we fill the more $ we make...

Daniel Stowell
    Teacher / Director
    Dublin OH

• 11.  RE: How does your school fund Musicals?

Posted 04-28-2015 10:40

We are fortunate that the district provides funding for a production budget and the salaries of the director,music director, and tech director.   I am able to pay for other positions (choreographer, lighting designer) out of the production budget, which is supplemented by ticket sales.  As for your situation, I went to a session at a conference several years ago comparing the educational value vs. cost for theater productions and football.  When you look at the comparative costs, theater is a bargain.  I am not anti-athletics at all, as I believe all school activities are valuable, but you have to make sure to figure in costs like the portion of the cost of a football helmet for each year of its useable life.  When you figure in all the "hidden costs", the "bang per buck" for theater is clear.

Mark Quinlan
    teacher/director of theater/head speech coach
    Centennial School District, ISD#12
    Circle Pines MN

• 12.  RE: How does your school fund Musicals?

Posted 04-28-2015 14:06
    We are working toward being self-funded but we're not there yet..  Currently I submit a budget to the district in Feb/March for the following school year.  Even once we are self-funded, the district will pay my stipend as well as the stipends for the pit and vocal directors.  No money can be paid to a person for a service out of ASB accounts, so I'm not sure how we're going to handle the accompanist and choreographer once we get to that point.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 13.  RE: How does your school fund Musicals?

Posted 04-30-2015 10:43
    Yeah. I struggle with the idea of paying district employees for their services through ASB money. It seems morally shady to spend money kids are making on another teacher that they all know.

Bryan Sullivan
    Theatre Director
    Silverdale WA

• 14.  RE: How does your school fund Musicals?

Posted 04-28-2015 13:34

Program is funded entirely through our activities. So mainly ticket sales. Which means having to sell out occasionally and do shows that bring in money in order to fund the more obscure/vital/etc. productions. Just like a real theatre. :)

Wizard of Oz made us over $3000, after our receipts. Antigone made us $500. West Side Story just made us $800. Budgeting is key. Having a Parent Booster Club means we can fundraise throughout the year, as opposed to the one fundraiser allowed by each club in the school. I have great volunteers for Choreography of my musicals (my wife, she's awesome), and a vocal coach for musicals (one of my troupe's older sisters, she's also awesome).

There is one stipend in our district for the Theatre teacher. There is also one each for the band, chorus, orchestra, and guard coach, which in our school are all one person, though per district policy you're only allowed a maximum of three stipends. Ideally, you'd want to work together with your band/orchestra/chorus teacher, but not everyone has the ideal. :)

Phillip Goodchild
    Ruskin FL

• 15.  RE: How does your school fund Musicals?

Posted 04-28-2015 15:07

Reading these, I realize how lucky I am.

We do three main stage shows a year (1 musical in the fall).  All of the costs are picked up by the district.  We have salary schedules for directors, asst. directors, choreographers, asst. choreographers, costumers, vocal directors, pit conductors, even fight choreographers.  We do not have to fund raise.  I guess North Dakota isn't that bad.

Tom Gillen

Fargo North Theatre Director

Troupe # 4561
    Fargo ND

• 16.  RE:How does your school fund Musicals?

Posted 04-28-2015 17:16
    We are self-funded program in a 100% free/reduced lunch school with the exception of my stipend which is a percentage of my base pay. No funds for any choreographer, music director, band, etc. We had been doing a musical every other year, or at least that was the plan. We've had mixed success with audience size so budgeting has been challenging. Two musicals made money, but the last two musicals we lost thousands...or I should say I did since I had to chip in, too. After next year, when we're partnering with a more well-to-do neighborhood school and participating in their their musical while our theatre is built, I can't do another musical until we have the money already in the bank. It's just not worth the headaches and expense. Unfortunately the students will miss out on the opportunity unless the community steps up and shows they value the musical experience, too. They did to restart the theatre program, so I am hopeful they will be willing. I've kept it in my season, but am ready to cut it if the funds aren't there.

Jo Lane
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Portland Public Schools
    Portland OR

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 17.  RE: How does your school fund Musicals?

Posted 04-28-2015 17:41

After many years, we did our first major musical in November. The Principal fronted the money for royalties and rental but we had to pay him back. I knew we would make money and we did and was left with a nice cushion. Was it worth it? I'm thinking not. While I'm a big fan of musicals, it's how my interest in theatre started, I'm not sure if it's worth all the time, money, and stress.

I'm setting up a student committee to read plays and make recommendations for next year and I'm going to push then away from doing a musical on a regular basis. 

All of my productions are self-supporting. The Principal does pitch in for things such as the new ETC Element light board and new make-up tables but the productions are our responsibility.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 18.  RE: How does your school fund Musicals?

Posted 04-29-2015 07:52
    We are self funded 100%. One thing that I try to do for musicals/bigger shows is to sell show sponsorships to businesses. I got an orthodontist to cover show kit costs for Annie because I pitched using a tad line with them.... See ---- with your orthodontic needs because you are never fully dressed without a smile. I don't spend a lot on sets. Partly due to costs, but partly because that's my aesthetic. We have a cyc that I like to light. I have also used some projections. Most costumes are made (by me) or borrowed. But I also select shows not by what I want to do, but by what we have the resources for. ------------------------------ Jennifer Simmons Lexington SC ------------------------------

• 19.  RE: How does your school fund Musicals?

Posted 04-29-2015 10:43

We produce two musicals per year (in addition to one play and one variety show). The district provides us with an annual budget to produce our shows. On top of that, the district provides stipends for Choreographers, Vocal Directors, and Pit Orchestra Conductors. We already have a technical director and costumer on school staff who teach subjects in those areas. So, those are paid by the district too. We usually have about 15-20 students in the pit orchestra, and hire 3 or 4 "ringers" (professionals) to fill in parts. We pay ringers' stipends out of our drama budget.  Budget for this year's LITTLE SHOP was $22,000.  This year's CABARET is $20,000.  Last year was cheaper...PUTNAM COUNTY SPELLING BEE was $9,000 and SPRING AWAKENING was $17,000.

We sell LOTS of advertising to help buy additional items that we might want. Also, I have a parent who writes grants for us whenever asked.
    Joe King
    Theatre Director
    School District of Shorewood
    Shorewood WI

• 20.  RE: How does your school fund Musicals?

Posted 04-29-2015 12:46
    Our Thespian Club pays for everything at my school. We pay for our musicals primarily through ticket sales, selling advertisements in our programs, holding fundraisers at restaurants, and selling concessions, raffle tickets for signed show posters, and castograms (people pay to send a candy/stuffed animal and a personal note to people they know in the cast) at the show. We also write letters to businesses requesting donations; we have a Non-Profit Tax ID number for that.

Natasha Schlaffer
    Simi Valley CA

• 21.  RE: How does your school fund Musicals?

Posted 04-29-2015 13:52
    I am unfortunately pretty much forced to do a big musical every year. When I first started, my predecessor left me with at $5,000 debt and I thought about switching to every other year. That did not sit well with the parents nor administration. So I had to come up with ways to make money. First I charged a "pay to play". I know that in a lot of communities, this is not possible. Fortunately I am able to do that here. If families cannot afford the $75 charge, then they can apply for a scholarship to the Parent Support Organization. I also push concessions big time at the shows, especially the musical. I can make quite a bit of profit from those. I also charge for ads in the program. I challenge each actor to come up with one AD from either a local company or from a parent who wants to put in a "congrats" AD. Another thing that I have found works is just asking for donations during smaller events instead of taking ticket prices. For my senior directed one acts and 24 hour theatre, I charge admission by donation. I have make a lot more money that way then by charging ticket prices. A local grocery store also does a "round up" event on the weekends of the shows where shoppers can round up their total purchase and we get the difference. The last show we did, the grocery store donated over $800 to the drama program. ------------------------------ Andy Ballnik Lakeridge High School Lake Oswego, Oregon ------------------------------

• 22.  RE: How does your school fund Musicals?

Posted 04-30-2015 11:24

Bryan,

First of all, congratulations! I know the first year can be crazy, hectic, exciting and wonderful all at the same time. I am in my 5th year here at East Valley in Yakima. It has been a bit of a struggle financially, but I have a very supportive parent group and Principal. We do a musical every year...exhausting, but worth it. Our band director doubles as a choir director, so we use his expertise to the fullest. This year the district offered him a stipend...a small one, but they did it. It all came about because they wanted to "take away" our annual musical. Of course the students and the parents would not stand for it, and they took it all the way to the school board to keep it. It is all about  Arts Advocacy. Find your support group, or help encourage your parents to develop one. They are your voice to the administration, your students too.

I don't know how you fund your productions. Here, we get $500 a year and then whatever is in our ASB account from play to play. As you know, musicals are very expensive to produce. We sell ad space in our playbill. I require each student to sell at least 2 ads to help with the expense. It takes diligence on your part to make sure they are bringing in ad sales. I have to remind my students daily during the ad drive time. I am not sure about the legality of using the ad monies to pay the stipends, but it might be worth looking in to. I suggest asking your district finance manager. They are the ones in the know. I rely heavily on two people: the ASB Advisor at the high school, and the district finance manager...they know all there is to know about WASBO rules.

I hope this helps...one a side note, if you need anything feel free to email me. We live in the same state after all! My work email is: boltz.elizabeth@evsd90.org

Break a leg!

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Boltz
    Red Devil Theatre Company Director
    Union Gap WA