Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Busy students

Posted 04-24-2015 10:19

We have an award winning marching band and color guard at our school and a very active band program. It has grown steadily in the 14 years I have been here.   As the band program has grown it has made it more and more difficult for students to participate in curricular and extra curricular theatre programs.

I am sure there are other schools that "share" students.  Do you have any tips as to how to handle rehearsal scheduling? Do you ask students to "choose"? I want to do the best for the school, the students and both programs.

------------------------------
    Marya Lucca-Thyberg
    Bellevue NE

• 2.  RE: Busy students

Posted 04-24-2015 11:08

I'm afraid that if you ask them to choose, you will probably loose. Has the Band Director made demands? We tend to share here, split rehearsal time 1/2 and 1/2. Or, you can just do it with what's left. I've always said, "I'll take the dregs!"  Give me the one who doesn't fit in! I'll make him a star!

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: Busy students

Posted 04-24-2015 11:16
    I try really hard to work with the band director. We usually each take a portion of the rehearsal so the kid doesn't have to choose. Obviously that doesn't always work, and there are some times that the kid has to choose. For my competitive improv team, I give 1 child each season an opportunity to participate fully in a sport. But it is only one kid for each season. For the main stage, I try to work with kids, and sometimes will cast for ensemble work, but they are never able to receive a part with lines. 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: Busy students

Posted 04-24-2015 12:39

Ah the joys of too much to do and not enough students to go around.  I, too, fight this battle but add to it soccer, softball, and baseball season that typically coincides with our winter/spring production schedule and kids in the cast on those teams.  A few years ago I changed my rehearsal time and now we meet in the evenings which alleviates some of the overlap.  I keep in contact with coaches and band director so they are aware when kids need to attend rehearsal over event or game. But when it comes right down to it, the kids tend to know that if they are stretched between numerous groups, their roles in a show will not be significant unless I've seen that my show takes priority.

I can only think of a handful of productions during which I've had a full cast for each and every rehearsal and show.  More often than not the kids that are double-booked miss a few here and there and we learn to cope. Eventually the ones that really want to be involved choose, on their own, which activities to do and the ones that aren't committed get weeded out.  

Hope that feedback is useful.  Hang in there.
    Elizabeth Phillips
    teacher/director
    Memphis Community Schools
    Memphis MI

• 5.  RE: Busy students

Posted 04-25-2015 07:02
    I, too, shared at my last school: a very small (80 hs aged kids, 25 grade 8). We were expected do to mount an all-school, large scale musical. We did the King and I primarily because I only had one male who would commit. Anna and the King only had 30 min a week (during lunch recess) when they were both available. Tuptim and her beau only had every other Tuesday for a 1/2 hour. Sports and MUN were my main competitors for the "drama would be fun" kids. Since they gravitate to those activities because they get to travel, I'm thinking that if the show could travel - maybe to an ISTA conference or something, they would commit to theatre. I did have much better luck with my cast of 6 women for Steel Magnolias.

Nancy Huffaker
    Theatre Teacher
    Bahrain Bayan School
    Redlands CA

• 6.  RE: Busy students

Posted 04-25-2015 14:02

I teach at a 'high achieving' school - which means that the students are over-worked and expected to manage AP classes, extra-curriculars and many with part-time jobs.

I have adjusted my approach to rehearsal schedules year to year, shown great leniency to my students who are involved in band, choir, athletics, ASB, whatever it may be - to a certain extent. My students also are made aware, however, that they need to be pro-active before deciding to audition for a show or register for a class to look at their calendars. 

I think I have developed a reputation as one who is able to compromise - often times asking kids to leave track practice 30 minutes early and arrive to rehearsal 30 minutes late if we have a 1-hr overlap. But sometimes it just doesn't work. Some activities can't work together (Mock Trial and our Fall play overlap too much) and kids learn pretty quick that sometimes they have to make the choice. 

It has been a growing point of frustration as our school has created a growing list of opportunities and I know my choreographer for our musicals really hates having holes in every dance rehearsal. We have developed policies in their audition contract that if they miss a dance rehearsal, for ANY reason, they may end up not being put into that dance number. 
    Next year I am actually adding at least two productions to our calendar to allow for all productions to have smaller casts and slightly lighter rehearsal schedules. Fewer opportunities in each show - but more opportunities overall for my students. I may have a nervous breakdown, but I am just trying to provide more chances. I will have limits in place about how many shows per year students are allowed to be involved in. It will also provide additional chances for the kids who can't fit Drama class into their schedule (either because of academics or the growing number of "Leadership" courses) to perform and be involved.

Seth Cohen
    Rancho Palos Verdes CA

• 7.  RE: Busy students

Posted 04-25-2015 21:24
    Our band students do have to choose between the fall play and being in band as, if they are in a band class, they are required to march. It would be impossible for me to try to even work around their schedule ... especially since we sometimes have performances on the nights of football games. Nevertheless, I have a very large program. Choices are a part of life. Personally, I think you are doing the best for all concerned by teaching them that.

Helen Dixon
    Oakley CA

• 8.  RE: Busy students

Posted 04-26-2015 09:36

As others have said, if you can, work with the other teachers/coaches involved.  At least in my experience, they completely understand the importance of commitment because they expect the same from their students.  And from my experience, they all just want to know up front and don't like surprises, just like us.  I do try to stress that to my students - if you are going to miss an after school rehearsal, I need to know ahead of time.  As my rehearsals/performance are graded, I will excuse pre-arranged rehearsal conflicts.  Just not showing up is not an excuse.

While I would like to be selfish and have them to myself the whole time (insert evil muwahahahaha laugh here), I also believe that it is good for them to have to start making these decisions, prioritizing, etc. because that is certainly a very important life skill. 

Jennifer Simmons
    Lexington SC