Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Favorite Shakespeare legal scene?

Posted 04-23-2015 14:11

Hey all,

I have a judicial officer who will be coming in to teach a class and wants to use scenes from Shakespeare in her presentation. If you had to choose 1 scene from Shakespeare that was judicial in nature (preferably in a courtroom environment) what would you choose?

------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 2.  RE: Favorite Shakespeare legal scene?

Posted 04-24-2015 06:19
    Without question, The Merchant of Venice, Act 4; Scene 1. The scene is loaded with legal and social issues. ------------------------------ Hugh Fletcher Performing Arts Coordinator IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School Bronx NY ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Favorite Shakespeare legal scene?

Posted 04-24-2015 06:28

Shylock vs. Antonio in MERCHANT OF VENICE.  

Other tribunal or "examination" scenes can be found in plays like CORIOLANUS, HENRY VIII, WINTER'S TALE, MEASURE FOR MEASURE, MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING, HENRY IV Part 1, ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL, OTHELLO, CYMBELINE, etc., but the only one I can think of that's actually set in a courtroom and represented as a legal case is MERCHANT OF VENICE.

Happy belated Shakespeare's birthday, by the way!

David Montee
    Director Theatre Division
    Interlochen MI

• 4.  RE: Favorite Shakespeare legal scene?

Posted 04-24-2015 07:18
    Portia in The Merchant of Venice?  That would probably be my favorite.

Dorothea Hackett
    DuBois PA

• 5.  RE: Favorite Shakespeare legal scene?

Posted 04-24-2015 12:56
    Merchant of Venice

Rob Duval
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    'Iolani School
    Kaneohe HI

• 6.  RE: Favorite Shakespeare legal scene?

Posted 04-24-2015 13:07
    Lol... I couldn't think of anything besides MoV either. I was hoping one of you would...

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 7.  RE: Favorite Shakespeare legal scene?

Posted 04-24-2015 13:54

Firstly, David Montee is a boss. I could only think of Merchant and the A nus play, as the Reduced Shakespeare Company refer to it.

You could stretch and include The Tempest, possibly, and we're talking Mrs. Incredible/Mr. Fantastic stretchy, and maybe the Prince's mediation after Tybalt and Mercutio's death. Prince acts as Judge, Benvolio gives impassioned defense, and everyone remembers the way that Natasha Perry says the line, "I beg for justice, which thou, prince, must give; Romeo slew Tybalt, Romeo must not live!"

Calling it a mediation probably falls wide of the mark, though. :)

Phillip Goodchild
    Ruskin FL

• 8.  RE:Favorite Shakespeare legal scene?

Posted 04-24-2015 14:43
    Henry VIII Act 2 Scene 4 - Katherine's trial

-------------------------------------------
    Heather Brandon
    Bakersfield CA
    -------------------------------------------

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 9.  RE: Favorite Shakespeare legal scene?

Posted 04-25-2015 14:11
    Take a look at Hermoine's trial scene in Winter's Tale. Not well known, but very strong. ------------------------------ Jeana Whitaker Theatre Director Mesa AZ ------------------------------

• 10.  RE: Favorite Shakespeare legal scene?

Posted 04-25-2015 14:13
    WINTER'S TALE--Act 3, Scene 2--Hermione is  unjustly on trial for adultery by her husband the king. Her self-spoken defense of her rights, her integrity, and her husband's false accusations is one of my favorite female monologues by the Bard.  She refuses to accept the court's authority over her--appealing to a higher power to judge her and prove her innocence.  If you haven't directed the play--you should consider it--wonderful themes of revenge and reconciliation.