Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Transition

Posted 04-22-2015 18:41
    So I need some advice. This year I started theater at a school that previously only seemed to put emphasis on improv. The old teacher, who is great, had much different rules and expectations from the students. I tend to run a tight ship with rules such as the props in the prop room are not yours to take, improv cannot include "poop" jokes, and the stage is off limits until rehearsal after school. I am still experiencing push back from several Students. I was told recently by another teacher that I need to pick my battles. While I agree, I also find value in following rules. Have any of you experienced anything similar and have any advice? ------------------------------ Theater Teacher Denver CO ------------------------------

• 2.  RE:Transition

Posted 04-22-2015 22:06
    I've had the same issue this year, which is also my first year at this school. Previously it was apparently a lot of theatre games and I'm not sure how much more. Many of the students didn't like how I went beyond acting. (This is a Fundamentals of Theatre Course where you cover all areas of theatre). Though the more hard core theatre students loved the new things they learned. My problems came with play rehearsal. While they loved how organized my schedules were they didn't like having to work on their lines at home, or music. Imagine that! They seemed to think they didn't have to do that at home, but use rehearsal time for it instead. I had trouble believing it. We had to cancel the spring musical from issues involving that. I'm trying to instill that you have to learn your stuff at home, and at rehearsal we practice what you've been learning and learn new things that you again have to practice at home or when you aren't actively on stage at rehearsals. New kids to the program thought nothing of it but the old guard were rather vocal in their protests. Fortunately they will pretty much all be seniors next year. I've set the new standards for class and the students seem to have figured that out, and many don't plan to return because it's not all fun and games but also requires real work. It has been a rough year though. For next year the kids know what to expect as far as class goes. For plays I'm going to do a modified version of my style with some mix of what the kids were formerly used to so I don't lose a lot of the talent, but I'll still be working to bring them up to speed. Sometimes you just have to wait it out until the old guard has moved on is what I'm finding. We got a new chorus teacher this year as well and he's having all the same problems. Jason Lehman JHS

-------------------------------------------
    Jason Lehman
    Griffin GA
    -------------------------------------------

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 3.  RE: Transition

Posted 04-23-2015 14:09

I experienced a bit of the same thing when I started teaching at my current school. The previous teacher had built the program's numbers, but there was little effort, few assignments, and mostly games. After eight years here, my numbers have decreased a bit, but the level of commitment and the quality of the work (inside and outside of class) has definitely improved. Students have to adapt to change - a new teacher brings new experiences, new expectations, and new assignments. I'd say it takes 2 to 3 years for adjustments to sink in. By year three or four, everything is clear. In the transition years, I would advise the following: 1) Let them know that it is your job to raise the level of the program. Your goal is to help them grow. Maybe what they've had has worked in the past - how can we make it better? I remember saying, "What kind of teacher would I be if I didn't teach you to grow beyond what you already know? A bad one." There is always room to improve. 2) Allow a bit of compromise. I will occasionally announce a "Fun Friday." It's a Friday we play games - usually games the students know and love, and maybe one or two new ones. The students must earn it based upon their work ethic and behavior during the week. 3) Anyone can make a poop joke, but we can do better than that. We can raise the comedy bar without having to go into the bathroom. I tell them to save the bathroom humor for the bathroom and challenge them to find humor by exploring the truth of the situation, no matter how outlandish the situation. 4) The productions will be as good as they want them to be. Sometimes getting students to care is one of the most difficult things to do. I ask them, "When you go to a movie (or a play, musical, etc.) do you want it to be bad? Neither does OUR audience. They want to see you succeed. If you are proud of your work, they will be proud of you." How do we motivate them to learn lines and practice outside of rehearsals? If a student just won't do it, I would either 1) find time to sit with him/her and work lines. This shows how much I care and want him/her to succeed; 2) pick a student you trust and make it his/her assignment to get the kid off book. Reward the helpful student with a gift card or simple thank you note. It will go a long way.

I can't help but scoff at the "pick your battles" advice. It usually comes from teachers who have no idea what we do, how we've been trained, and what we expect. "These are my battles! Don't touch the props, respect the theatre space, don't use bathroom humor. Is this so much to ask?"

Best wishes - it will get better!

------------------------------
    Rob Duval
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    'Iolani School
    Kaneohe HI

• 4.  RE: Transition

Posted 04-24-2015 22:26

"Pick your battles"?  Pick this one. I experienced almost the EXACT same situation . . . the students loved the old guy and resisted the new guy.  My choices, my rules, my everything.

In case you students are unaware, "props in the prop room are not yours to take" is a universal theater rule.

"Improv cannot include "poop" jokes" -- sometimes, poop jokes are funny. Find out somewhere else. "If I say it, it is MY fault.  If YOU think it, it is your fault." is an improv rule I learned MANY years ago, when talking about control on the stage.  ANYBODY can make you laugh by saying something crude.  FEW can make you laugh by being intelligent.  I challenge you . . . " Use your education. The TOP of your intelligence.

"The stage is off limits until rehearsal after school."  The stage is sacred.  You must earn your place on the stage -- it is not a play place.  It is not an amusement park.  It is a place for the storytellers to ply their craft.  You must earn your right to perform there.  That, and liability. If you are not in rehearsal or class, NOBODY is on the stage.  P-E-R-I-O-D.  Liability.  

As the old ones age out, the new ones know nothing but what YOU teach and they hear from and about the old ones.  It gets easier.  It is not fair to your babies to allow the "senior privilege" that the old students claim.  New coach, new rules. New plays. They can play by your rules or declare free agency.  Nobody will pick them up.  Sorry for all the football stuff -- the draft is coming up!  

YOU will show them a new way.  With integrity. With professionalism.

Good luck!!!

Paul Townsend
    Scottsdale AZ

ptownsend@susd.org

• 5.  RE: Transition

Posted 04-25-2015 10:03
    I too am a transitional teacher. I also was 9 years ago. Sounds like you are replacing someone like who I replaced 9 years ago. Very improv focused, free reign of stage mostly because of doors that didn't lock properly. It was rough. What I am doing now is so much harder. My predecessor was very loved. Many called her mom. She is a fantastic teacher. I have definitely had struggles with classroom management in the traditional classes and behavior overall in the extracurricular program. I am hanging on to the knowledge that given a few years, we will have a program environment that is in line with my teaching style. It's really about survival for now. Picking my battles. Yup. The show comes first. Integrity has been the word I keep going to. The younger kids have been great. I know my predecessor had the same proble,s when she started as did the teacher before her. I've met a number of alums who witnessed those transitions. It's never easy, but it will pass. It has to. ------------------------------ Scott Hasbrouck Wheat Ridge CO ------------------------------

• 6.  RE: Transition

Posted 04-25-2015 14:09
    I've dealt with this before as well. A coach once told me, "it's not really YOUR team until the third year." He was right. It takes that long to completely transition the program to your own. In the meantime, publicly acknowledge your respect of the previous instructor, never criticize their methods, but tell students your certain that teacher taught them the value of learning from many different directors because it makes them well rounded performers. That's why we go to conference, to learn from a variety of professionals. Compromise and allow some of the things, the ones you can live with, that the previous instructor implemented, at first and then slowly transition them out. New kids will come in & bond with you and your method & the others will fade out after two years. Good luck! ------------------------------ Jeana Whitaker Theatre Director Mesa AZ ------------------------------

• 7.  RE: Transition

Posted 04-26-2015 10:11

I was a new teacher last year - first  year teaching, first year at the school, etc.

I had a little bit of this, but luckily not much because the previous teacher held a lot of the same values as me.

Here's what I do/would do though:

• For every game that I introduce, I start off on day one asking that even if they have heard of the game, played the game before whatever (and that could be from the previous teachers, a camp they've been do, etc.), they need to listen to MY rules because, just like a message in a game of telephone, the rules can change from person to person.  Since we're playing in my classroom, they will be playing by my rules.  I tell them that if they know of other ways to play it, tell me after class and we might do that some other time.  (PS I love this technique because usually those who want to blurt out a different way will forget to come tell you at the end of the class anyway). 
    • Whenever I introduce a new theatre rule that is an overall theatre rule (not just a Mrs. Simmons rule), I do explain to them that it is a rule used in practically every single theatre and that they should learn it so that they look like they are in the know and not a newbie.  (Which is a tactic that I like to use sometimes - if I make it like I'm giving them some top secret insider info they think it is cool.)
    • For the prop rule - I tell my students from day 1 we talk about prop rules/safety and that they are not used/touched unless I give them permission.  I tell them that the word prop is short for property...and it is a property of the theatre - NOT them.  Students do still touch props and give warnings.  If it becomes habitual, I give lunch detentions.  For in class work, I've completely taken props away from assignments if I have a couple of offenders who can't handle props respectfully.  I have also threatened to take away props from an entire show if they can't handle them.  I've been known to say "there is NOTHING in my contract that says I have to give you a prop or a costume.  You can pantomime the whole thing." 
    • For improv - I don't care if they use poop jokes.....once.  Then they have to try something new.  With middle schoolers, I try really hard to get them to try different things in improv because sometimes they will just pick one go-to thing to do over and over.  In fact, when I start the improv unit, I show the clip from the Office with Michael Scott at improv class and he tries to have a gun in every scene and the actors get super frustrated. 
    • The thing that I battle a lot is not necessarily what the previous drama teacher did, but what other teachers allow in their classrooms..."well Mrs. X lets us eat in her room" or "Mr. Z doesn't care if we listen to our iPods" or "Mrs. Y lets us do ______."  I hate having to continually explain that it is my room, my rules and that if Mr. Z wants to break school policy, that's on Mr. Z, but that I am enforcing school wide/district wide policies. 

Jennifer Simmons
      Lexington SC

• 8.  RE: Transition

Posted 04-27-2015 10:40

Jennifer made a point that I feel is pretty important.  After 20 years of teaching Visual Arts and now in my 4th year of theater, I have found the importance of following school policy.  We all like to make exceptions, and in some rare cases I might, but I have learned to follow school policy.  It avoids confusion and is the firm surface that a teacher can stand upon when needed.  My rules follow school policy and then I fill in the gaps with my policy.  It has saved me sooooo much hassle.  And in the rate cases where exceptions are made, it often comes back to bite me in posterior.  So I try to avoid that unpleasantness.

When I started in my current position, it was a huge change for the kids.  They had been without a theater program for a year and previously, the teacher had pretty much been filling in a spot as best she could.  They did some nice things, but it was very different from where we were headed. I lost some kids and parents in making it more structured and focused, but other came to be part of what we were doing.  My rules are not negotiated and included in my rubric.  I grade everything for consistency.  I would sometime rather not, but school teaches kids to value grades...so, I show them everything the do is valued in every way.  If I am at a loss at how to accomplish a goal, I often ask the students.  They have great ideas on how they can get a task accomplished in a way that works for them.

I had an art student once who repeatedly said, "Mrs. Davis let us do that."  So about the billionth time she did this, got up and started walking around the room, opening cabinets, doors, looking under desks etc.  When she looked at me strangely, I replied,"  I am sorry dear.  Mrs. Davis isn't here."  She and I both cracked up and it was never an issue again.

Props are sacred ground.  Never touch it unless it is your prop and you are headed on stage.  Period.

This is a great discussion!  I love hearing others who have faced the same issues I have!

Georgann Lanich
    Lakemont GA