Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Earth Day Lesson Plans?

Posted 04-21-2015 10:01
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussions: Middle School Theatre and Open Forum .
    -------------------------------------------

Help! I have teacher's block!

The teachers at my school have been instructed by administration to come up with 35-minute Earth Day-related lesson plans for our subject areas to teach tomorrow. Honestly, my plan was to play theatre games outside (I know, weak), but Michigan weather is not planning on cooperating. 

Does anybody have any suggestions for some quick, easy, and enjoyable activities for 6th-8th grade Speech and Drama students that I could relate, at least tangentially, to Earth Day?

Gratitude in advance!

------------------------------
    Theresa Weiler

Speech and Drama Teacher, Head of Forensics

Detroit Country Day Middle School

Beverly Hills MI

• 2.  RE: Earth Day Lesson Plans?

Posted 04-22-2015 06:29
    I haven't actually done this, but here is what just popped into my mind. Maybe you could have students pick or brainstorm natural elements (trees, leaves, flowers, bees, a river, etc.) and have them write short monologues from the perspective of those elements? Also, there is a play called the last paving stone about preserving nature...you could read that in class? ------------------------------ Jennifer Simmons Lexington SC ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Earth Day Lesson Plans?

Posted 04-22-2015 06:46

This is very last minute and not a fully developed plan, but what about targeting ways to make your theatre greener?  i.e changing to LED lighting, lower VOC paints, creating less wood waste, recycling programs, rechargeable batteries,  donating/renting/selling costume and set pieces, turning off equipment/lights when not in use, etc.  There has been really awesome developments in the past few years that are Earth friendlier and cost effective.

Students could each brainstorm an idea, and then create a plan to implement (or a poster--like turn switches off reminders).  Any small step will eventually lead to larger ones.

Examples: a few years ago, my students suggested and we began saving our small scrap wood waste each year for the annual homecoming bonfire.  Obviously, fire isn't the best Earth-friendly idea, but all of that scrap has now stopped going into the trash.  Students have also labeled a large "trash" can for metal scrap (broken screws, etc.) that we take to the recycling when full.  There is no large cash haul out of this, but it is better than the trash can.  Our "bad" paint is taken by the maintenance staff to a neutralizing/paint recycling facility in the area.

Just a thought.  Hope whatever you do goes well!

Raenell Smith
    Speech, Theatre, English Teacher
    Clark Pleasant Community School Corporation
    Whiteland IN