Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Flying Mary Poppins

Posted 04-15-2015 15:50

We're thinking of doing Mary Poppins next spring and have contacted ZFX, and they have provided a quote--my concern is the cost of a per diem for the installation and training.  Does anyone have any ideas/experience with these costs?

Any tips about flying kids?

Thanks for your help and advice.

------------------------------
    Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 2.  RE: Flying Mary Poppins

Posted 04-15-2015 17:44

Hi,

ZFX does  great job and the per diem for installation and training is fairly standard but perhaps negotiable. When flying actors, there is no safe way to "do it on the cheap". Spend the money and do it right. We used them last year for "Little Mermaid, Jr." and were very pleased.

Best wishes,

Dana

Dana Taylor
    MSD of Mt. Vernon
    Evansville IN

• 3.  RE: Flying Mary Poppins

Posted 04-16-2015 14:53

Hi Holly

There are three main companies that can provide flying effects for Mary Poppins.  ZFX (based in Louisville), Flying by Foy (based in Las Vegas) and Hall Associates Flying Effects (based near Chicago).  All three companies provide safe and reliable equipment and trained riggers to install your gear.  You would do well to speak to all three companies before committing.

In full disclosure, I am the owner of Hall and I would love your business, but I will let our customer service team handle the sales pitch if you decide to contact us (www.flyingfx.com or 888-FLY-HALL - 359-4255).  To specifically answer your question about costs, however, I am also an educator (professor at NIU for 15 years) so I understand the stress created by unpredictable hidden fees in educational theatre.  Our policy has ALWAYS been to provide one fixed cost that includes shipping, per diem, airfare, hotel, gear rental, installation, expendables, choreography, etc.  When you get a quote number from Hall, that is the final price you pay - no upcharges or hidden fees.  You only have to submit one PO to your administration and it is all inclusive.

I also have a flying director who teaches in Dover, Ohio, about two hours from you.  He would be close if you had any issues.

I hope this helps.

Tracy Nunnally
    Owner/President
    DeKalb IL

• 4.  RE: Flying Mary Poppins

Posted 04-16-2015 08:10
    We hired ZFX to do our MARY POPPINS flying last spring and it worked out great. I do not remember the per diem being a problem. I included it in the purchase order for the district and it was approved and paid.  

Mark A Zimmerman
    Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Akron Public Schools

• 5.  RE: Flying Mary Poppins

Posted 04-16-2015 08:40

We just did a very successful run of Mary Poppins. We hired Hall and Associates from Dekalb, Illinois. They were the most reasonable of 3 companies we researched. The flying instructor spent 3 days with us and was wonderful with the instruction for the actors. The installation was quick and easy as well. Since we did not have a proscenium for the classic Bert flying, they had great ideas for having Bert do flying flips, thus saving us from getting different tracks and platforms. I highly recommend them.

Good luck to you. Mary Poppins is the most difficult show I have directed in my 34 years of teaching. It did bring in the audiences though. Don't expect to get much rest!

Susan Cortesi
    Director of Theatre
    District 87
    Bloomington IL

• 6.  RE: Flying Mary Poppins

Posted 04-16-2015 08:46
    I have to echo the sentiments of the others--I've used ZFX since their early days in the 90's.  They are great.  Some other companies may be a bit cheaper, but not only do they do it right--they listen to you and are willing to try new things.  We closed Poppins just last month and incorporated an over the audience fly in a house with a lower than normal ceiling height as well as some additional effects with flying the children and spinning Mary during "Step in Time."  Not only were they willing to make it happen--they were excited about doing it.  They are a bit pricey--but you get what you pay for.  The Per Diem is a very minor part of the overall cost.

Ron Parker
    Appleton WI

• 7.  RE: Flying Mary Poppins

Posted 04-16-2015 09:40
    I have worked with ZFX on a couple of productions and have had great experiences both times.  They are masters of this and are incredibly professional. You will get quality for the money spent.

Kelly McCain
    Addison TX

• 8.  RE: Flying Mary Poppins

Posted 04-16-2015 11:23
    I have used ZFX 3 times and was completely happy each and every time. My suggestion is to decide well ahead of time what you envision for flying in the show and they can suit your needs. I agree, it's not cheap, but it is completely worth it. Also, it's safe and the kids will be fine using the equipment. We always developed a "flight team" specifically designated for flying effects only and used teacher volunteers. They can also help keep hands off the Equipment backstage. Good Luck!

Charles Miller
    West Creek NJ