Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  renovations

Posted 11-26-2013 12:28
    Our school is next on our district's facilities plan. That means we may (big if) get some much needed renovation/space for our performing arts programs.  Administrators have asked performing arts teachers to seek out advice from  our colleagues across the nation who have had renovations, not new builds, in their music/drama programs. We want to know the advantages and disadvantages and what to plan.  If you can share, please do so. Thank you.  

-------------------------------------------
    Karen Feldhaus

• 2.  RE:renovations

Posted 11-27-2013 08:52
    What an exciting opportunity! There was a similar post last month and I posted some resources that would probably help you get started on this project:

http://schooltheatre.org/Community/ViewDiscussions/ViewThread/?GroupId=85&MID=867

Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association

• 3.  RE:renovations

Posted 11-28-2013 09:05
    The article Ginny posted gives a good over view of a theater construction process; however, this can be a lot different from a district led renovation process, which in my experience varies greatly from district to district.  As I have been involved in theater renovations in 5 facilities.   Each time it was a little different.  However, there were some things that were common.  In each circumstance, we saw updates to lighting, sound, rigging, drapery, paint, carpet and seating.  That seems to be the common district goal--- get the stuff updated-- leave the bones alone.   What I learned was that I would have to do most of this myself if I wanted it to be what I wanted.  Getting three quotes from different vendors helped a lot.  And learning the ins and outs of the purchase order process was vital as there are some tricks to getting the system you want over something maybe cheaper.  Most of all have a lot of conversations with a lot of different people and tour other facilities--- see what they've got.  Talk to other teachers, what works well for them?  And see if you can take your time... can the money be allocated and spent over say three years or so--- allowing you to really investigate the best options for each system.

Just to give you an idea, in my current space we've seen:
    new sound system; updates to lighting: new control board, new house lighting dimmer, new house light controls; new carpet; new paint; remodeled the acoustic wall; new seating; new covering for the floor

It took about 5 years with some things happening all at once, like the paint, chairs, and carpet

Currently we're working on getting a new drapery set

Best of luck

It would be fun to hear from you over time as to how it goes-- 

Michael Johnson

• 4.  RE:renovations

Posted 12-02-2013 10:53
    The renovation process can be much different than the new construction process, but it does not have to be.  Both require a clear and objective look at what your needs truly are.

Example:  A simple thing like 'replace the drapes' can be, and maybe should be, a more thorough process.  Does the stage masking plan you currently have actually mask the back / side stage operations and over-stage hardware?  If not, then improvements to the masking plan may be needed.  This means that the stage rigging plan may require adjustments.  When was the last time the stage rigging was inspected?  If the masking plan is going to be different, then the length and width of the drapes may need to be revised.  Were the old drapes cotton with a requirement for periodic cleaning and re-treatment of the fire retardant?  Maybe consider having the drapes fabricated from Inherently Fire Resistant (IFR) material.  Are the tracks and pulleys OK?  Noisy?  Rusted?

Each system and type of equipment should be reviewed for functionality in the context of what will be useful for planned productions and what is needed to teach the students relevant skills.  Audio and lighting systems have moved to network based digital controls - why would you teach them on old analog systems?  Heavier components lifted by a stage rigging system are more safely moved by electric hoists rather than counter-weighted manual hoist.  The FCC has (and is going to continue to) reduce the available frequencies where wireless mics can be used.  Are you systems operating legally and free of interference?

Also, a thorough review of the facility safety should be made by someone familiar with the operations in the performing arts.  Catwalks and ladder wells must have the proper lighting, railings, and safety gates; balcony nose and high wall-mounted lighting positions should have fall protection equipment; and gaping holes in gridiron decks should be guarded to prevent falls.  Back stage Run Of Show (ROS) work lights should be installed so crew and performers aren't stumbling in the dark, and clip-lights aren't strung about creating fire hazards.

Energy Efficiency AND Safety considerations can be used to leverage improved house, work, and stage lighting; but knowing what products really will provide the needed benefits without creating their own set of problems can be difficult without good experience and engineering considerations.

Serious consideration to the purchasing process should be made as well.  Where projects are designed by an Architect and Consultant, there is inherently a system of checks and balances - but when a school district or theatre department attempts to directly purchase items without a clear set of drawings and specifications, the path can be rocky.  A whitepaper about this can be found here:  www.scribd.com/doc/106369405/Teqniqal-Systems-Ethics-of-Being-an-Independent-Consultant

Erich Friend
    Teqniqal Systems