Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Monologue

Posted 04-13-2015 09:12
    I'm looking for a good monologue for an older female (50/60). Not anything about death, but it could be a farewell type piece. Prospero's final monologue in the Tempest would be good if it weren't a male. Anyone have any suggestions? ------------------------------ Joanne Karr Walnut CA ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Monologue

Posted 04-13-2015 11:59
    It's been a while since i read it, but what about The Woman by Edward Bond? Hecuba in the main character.

------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Monologue

Posted 04-14-2015 06:43
    I have found this to be a great source when looking for monologues... http://www.backstage.com/monologues/ you can put in search criteria and then do some research on the plays... ------------------------------ Joy Hammond Drama Club Sponsor, Teacher Stone Mountain GA ------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Monologue

Posted 04-14-2015 13:12

I am 52.  Every time I have to do a monologue, I use the long monologue fromMore Fun Than Bowling by Steven Dietz.  It is Lois telling about a first date where he was a bit forward and she tricked him then ends on a laugh line, "He (the preacher) still can't look me in the eye during his sermons."  LOVE IT!  There is some physical humor, but I just pantomime and stay in one place.  Lots of pacing that needs some work...draw out some for suspense and build to the laugh. 

So many don't know the piece, so it seems fresh each time I perform it.  Always gets a laugh and is remembered.

Steel Magnolias has a lovely monologue for M'Lynn and The Glass Menagerie has that lovely phone conversation of Mama trying to sell magazines. 

Carol Knarr Gebert
    Celina OH

• 5.  RE: Monologue

Posted 04-15-2015 09:23
    Why can't you use Prospero? Change the pronouns if you wish, but if Hamlet is currently being played be a female and Hellen Mirren herself played Prospero, why not?

Lori Constable
    Teacher; director of Drama
    Independent District 112
    Chanhassen MN

• 6.  RE: Monologue

Posted 04-16-2015 08:49
    I agree--I've staged TEMPEST twice with a Prospera.  It works beautifully and gives a different Mother/Daughter perspective that between her and Miranda which is wonderful.

Ron Parker
    Appleton WI

• 7.  RE: Monologue

Posted 04-16-2015 09:01
    There are many Shakespeare monologues that are as compelling for woman, Prospero being one. Iago is always weirdly interesting done by a woman, too...

Phillip Goodchild
    Ruskin FL

• 8.  RE: Monologue

Posted 04-17-2015 06:24

If it's Shakespeare you want, take a look at the Countess in ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL; Margaret or Elizabeth in HENRY VI part 3 or RICHARD III; or (a different kind of "older woman" role) Cleopatra in ANTONY AND CLEOPATRA.  Gender-switching is okay, but if this happens to be for a professional audition, the auditors might prefer that you match your gender with the piece.

David Montee
    Director Theatre Division
    Interlochen MI

• 9.  RE: Monologue

Posted 04-17-2015 16:03
    HIGH DIVE by Leslie Ayvazian is a one-act play that is one long monologue by a woman on the cusp of her 50th Birthday. There are lots of funny and touching portions.

Rosalind Flynn
    Head of the M.A. in Theatre Education
    The Catholic University of America
    Silver Spring MD