Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Chairs for Black Box Theatre

Posted 04-08-2015 13:46

I am making  a purchase of approximately 90 padded folding chairs for my black box theatre.  I am wondering if anyone can share an experience with any folding chairs they have purchased from a place such as Lowes, Home Depot, or Staples.  They carry what looks like some nice chairs for about $25 each.  The online reviews are all from people who bought them as extra chairs for their homes or offices, so I was wondering if anyone has used them in a theatre space where they would get hevier use.

Thanks

------------------------------
    Corinne Kravetz
    Drama Director
    Conard High School
    West Simsbury CT

• 2.  RE: Chairs for Black Box Theatre

Posted 04-09-2015 10:15

Hi Corinne,

I would suggest you contact your local office furniture dealer in Hartford (Creative Office or one like that).  They should be able to offer a better quality at a similar price as box stores.  You want something that will last a long time!

Rick Osann
    Theatre Teacher
    Standish ME

• 3.  RE: Chairs for Black Box Theatre

Posted 04-09-2015 10:18
    I just purchased about 150 chairs for my Black Box from Wenger.  I would recommend going with them or at least checking them out.  They make all kinds of quality chairs for various performing arts spaces.

Ryan Landmann
    Palm Desert CA

• 4.  RE: Chairs for Black Box Theatre

Posted 04-09-2015 13:41

Be aware that Fire Codes and/or Building Codes (depends upon jurisdiction, most locals have adopted the NFPA 101 Life Safety Code [13.4.9.2.4] which requires seats to be in groups of three, minimum.) may require that seats be grouped together so they can't create a clutter in the event of emergency.

Chairs that have interlocks on the frame to connect them to the adjacent chair is recommended, however, you can achieve the same effect by tywraping the legs together (albeit not a very speedy way to deploy and store the chairs - the reason for interlocking the chairs is also soon forgotten without the presence of a constant visual reminder that they can be connected).

Another consideration is that furniture used in educational facilities typically has a higher requirement for flammability and smoke generation than what you may buy at a big-box store.

Take a look at the StageRight brand chair model 'FirstChair' - very comfortable and quiet; or the Wenger brand "High-Density Portable Audience Chairs".

Your audience deserves good seating.  They are why you are doing theatre.  Treat them nice and they may come back.

A good book about laying-out seating for differnet types of events is "Seating Matters" by Paul Radde.

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems

• 5.  RE: Chairs for Black Box Theatre

Posted 04-09-2015 17:27
    We purchased chairs like this at one point and were very dissatisfied.  For our purposes, we were much happier with chairs that stacked.  These proved much easier to store, and they took up much less space while stored.  They were big enough (width), with arms, so that they were actually more comfortable than the padded folding chairs we had previously.  

Timothy Ortmann
    Chicago IL

• 6.  RE: Chairs for Black Box Theatre

Posted 04-20-2015 08:54

We had a parent with a contact at a business furniture re-purposing place here in Columbus Oh.  60 or so chairs for FREE!  Check around before pulling the trigger!  You're stuck for a while with chairs, so just don't get garbage chairs that is the worst!!!  (Been there :( yikes! )

cheers!

Daniel Stowell
    Teacher / Director
    Dublin OH