Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Middle School show

Posted 04-08-2015 08:28
    Any suggestions for a middle school play? I did Charlotte's Web last year. I only have two male students and would prefer a cast that is 15-20 actors.

------------------------------
    Jason Applegate
    Diretcor/Teacher
    Saginaw MI

• 2.  RE: Middle School show

Posted 04-09-2015 06:52

Check out scripts from Theatrefolk!  Theatrefolk.com They have lots of ensemble/vignette shows that would be great for your students!  My three favorites for middle school are Wait Wait Bo Bait (MS version,) The Snow Show, & Hoodie.  There are many more!!  Large sizes, gender neutral in many cases...

If you don't want vignette, look at Cobweb Dreams - a parallel text to A Midsummer Night's Dream.  Our middle & high school produced this show last year (in rep) and it was a huge hit!!  Lots of characters, you could really do the show with only two males - Oberon & Bottom!    I'd be happy to share photos from our productions to give you an idea of what it looks like!

Best of luck!!

Carolyn Cork Greer
    Owensboro KY

• 3.  RE: Middle School show

Posted 04-15-2015 07:18

Carolyn, What's the run time on Cobweb's Dream?  Working on AMND right new and the complementary nature might be useful to perform as a pair.

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Ferndale MI

• 4.  RE: Middle School show

Posted 04-09-2015 10:19

Jason, what running time are you shooting for?

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 5.  RE: Middle School show

Posted 04-09-2015 12:27
    We did Jonathan Dorf's Harry's Hotter at Twilight a few years back..Lots of laughs!!!! It was fun! Midsummer's would be great!

Miriam Lee
    Teacher
    Murfreesboro TN

• 6.  RE: Middle School show

Posted 04-15-2015 11:01
    Thanks for the shout-out, Miriam! I'm glad your Harry's Hotter at Twilight production was a success!

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 7.  RE: Middle School show

Posted 04-09-2015 10:26
    The fall 2014 issue of Teaching Theatre asked the largest play publishers to share their most popular titles for middle schools. You can find that list in the Resources sidebar on page 15 of that issue in our digital archive (http://www.schooltheatre.org/readtt).

Gregory Bossler
    Managing Editor
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati OH

• 8.  RE: Middle School show

Posted 04-24-2015 08:00
    I love looking through the catalogs from Pioneer and YouthPlays for my middle school kids.  One of the most favorite shows I've directed is Unwrapped by Charlie Lovett (I love all his stuff-he does that clever thing with adult references and jokes in kid shows.).  Last night my husband told me it was his favorite of the shows I've done in both middle and high school.  Ha!

Elise Boyd
    Mechanicsville VA