Open Forum

View Only

Thespian Points

• 1.  Thespian Points

Posted 04-02-2015 09:29
    Do you give thespian points for one acts & other work done in class? The previous drama teacher did, but I've always been of the opinion that students receive grades for work that is required in class, and Thespian Points are awarded for commitments outside of class. ------------------------------ Jeana Whitaker Theatre Director Mesa AZ ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Thespian Points

Posted 04-02-2015 10:58
    Our rule is that if it is performed outside of classtime, even if assigned in class, it counts.  As a part of class time, then no.

------------------------------
    Elizabeth Harris
    Adviser
    Scottsdale AZ

• 3.  RE: Thespian Points

Posted 04-05-2015 09:59
    Ditto what Elizabeth said. Night performance for class assignment gets points. I understand taking over from a previous teacher who had a different system. I'm still entirely sure I understand my predecessor's points system. I am also of the opinion that anything a student volunteers for, (i.e.. ushering or run crew for community theatre) should also earn points, but NOT anything they were paid for (internships) or paid to do (academies). Many of my students have been paying for a local theatre camp and have many points for this. My thought is if it is not really available to everyone, no points. Thoughts on this? ------------------------------ Scott Hasbrouck Wheat Ridge CO ------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Thespian Points

Posted 04-06-2015 08:28
    I'm curious to know what systems various teachers/directors have in place for capturing and accurately recording the accumulation of points per student over their four years in high school. Any advice is welcome. ------------------------------ Peter D'Angelo Lockport NY ------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Thespian Points

Posted 04-07-2015 07:07
    I've changed points to hours. Ten hours equals one point, but not all shows require a lead to work 80 hours for 8 points. Therefore it takes 100 hours to receive Thespian status. Hours still must come from various sections, ie: business, performance, technical. It works well for us. ------------------------------ Linda Button Springdale AR ------------------------------

• 6.  RE: Thespian Points

Posted 04-08-2015 12:00

Agree that even leads don't always have the 80 hours opportunity; I think this may be why the point system was originally set up this way, as it encourages students to become involved in many productions and, with encouragement, different areas.

Another thing that has been helpful is setting up the troupe constitution (and then having the new officers re-visit it in August prior to the start of their terms) to establish status and involvement. Various troupes have included things for grades (need to keep a 2.0 gpa, etc) as well as attendance at meetings, along with inactivity (ie not being involved in a production for a year). We usually have a warning letter, then move to suspended status and finally, if things aren't rectified, we declare them ineligible. I've never seen that happen before in 25+ years, but it was important to these troupes that they encourage their peers to stay active and involved.

Lori Constable
    Teacher; director of Drama
    Independent District 112
    Chanhassen MN

• 7.  RE: Thespian Points

Posted 04-07-2015 08:16

My students fill out a Point Record form each spring-- would like to recognize them more, but that's all I have time for--- then, I keep that form in a Thespian Binder along with their addresses and phone numbers and stuff.  I allocate points and keep a running total.  At the year-end banquette and induction ceremony celebration, each student receives a certificate denoting their points and achievement levels.  Each year they add to the form, some students have additional pages.  When the student graduates, I archive that material.

Best

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 8.  RE: Thespian Points

Posted 04-08-2015 16:15
    We have our Thespian conference in February, so I like to update points at the end of each semester. I give them a homemade point sheet where they list all of the productions, classes, etc, and I tally points based on that. I keep it all on a spreadsheet. We also have a "Hall of Fame", where high point Thespians can compare to graduates. Hope that helps! ------------------------------ Jake Dreiling Atlanta GA ------------------------------

• 9.  RE: Thespian Points

Posted 04-02-2015 14:30

Whenever we did Thespian points for one acts done in class because there is time required after school whether it be for tech, dress, costume fitting, etc.

But we gave them thespian points also because they worked their butts off even though we had dropouts almost every week, we decided that if they put in the effort, they deserved some Thespian Points. 

Hope this helped!

Matthew Denney
    Student

University of Nevada, Reno

• 10.  RE: Thespian Points

Posted 04-02-2015 14:45

I also give points for class work as long as it is performed in front of an audience.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 11.  RE: Thespian Points

Posted 04-13-2015 09:33
    I am curious about this thread. It seems to me that class experience is just as good whether it is done in front of an audience or not. The rules certainly don't delineate, so I am just wondering what the thinking is here. The act of "acting" should be what we recognize. Do we choose whether it is done in front of peers or an audience as the basis for giving points? Many times, my schedule doesn't allow for the work done in class to be performed in front of an audience, but it doesn't take away from the work the students have done.

Bruce Taws
    Panama City FL

• 12.  RE:Thespian Points

Posted 04-13-2015 12:33
    Great discussion! I think that having a uniform policy about work done in class would not be the way to go. Although having a universal policy to direct admin to (or parents or students) would be useful in some situations, we need to recognize that not all schools/teachers have the same structure to their schedules. For instance, I used to rehearse 2 hours after school 4 days a week for a production; however, that time was actually another class (part of my contracted day and the kids received credit and grades). The year after I had my first child, I cut after school rehearsals completely and rehearsed solely in class during the regular school day. If you wanted to be in a show, you had to be in my advanced class. Now, a few years later, I am teaching at a different school and do after school rehearsals for an hour a day 5 days a week. I have had years with a tech class and without. I think the current system is a great compromise. We have a standard, but are given the flexibility to adapt it to best fit our needs. I also agree that the concept of "excellent work" is important and should be emphasized to the students.

-------------------------------------------
    Heather Brandon
    Bakersfield CA
    -------------------------------------------

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 13.  RE: Thespian Points

Posted 04-14-2015 09:02

I agree with Heather.  I really emphasize "excellent work" and sometimes that means something different student to student, school to school, etc.  Our current system allows us to meet ITS standards, but be flexible to our situation.  At my school, we award points only for audience performances, but it is easy to get an audience most any time.  I do try to make sure the kids understand that Thespian points are not participation points.  You don't get them for just showing up and doing giving minimal effort.  We talk about the difference between meeting requirements and being excellent.  They love the idea that ITS is for a certain level of dedication and that their graduation stoles are a mark of excellence.

I do feel strongly that an audience is as much a part of performing as any other aspect, but some school situations just don't make that very easy.  I am glad we can adapt our ITS standards so that kids can achieve excellence in different situations.

Georgann Lanich
    Lakemont GA

• 14.  RE: Thespian Points

Posted 04-03-2015 08:08

Hi Jeana,

We do give one thespian point for participation in a theatre class.

Rick Osann
    Theatre Teacher
    Standish ME

• 15.  RE: Thespian Points

Posted 04-04-2015 09:02

We give 5 points for participation in a drama class.  I think a lot of this is up to the local Troupe Director, just be sure to be consistent in the awarding of points and make sure to inform troupe members of any changes in your philosophy over time.  The EdTA publishes a points guide; however, I think a lot of those decisions are at the discretion of the local director.  Consistency is key.

Best

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 16.  RE: Thespian Points

Posted 04-06-2015 12:39

It would be good to have someone from the Head Office weigh in on this, but from the thread, it seems as if there is a great deal of discrepancy troupe to troupe and sponsor to sponsor. I have been running troupes (and was a State Chapter director as well as a country chapter director) for quite a while now and I have always had the following guidelines:

1. Since the troupe is the XXX School troupe, the points earnt by a student should represent the work done through that school's program. We do allow up to five points of the initial ten point membership requirement for students who do work outside of the school program (transfers from other schools, younger but active thespians, etc) as well as from any Junior Thespian Troupe, but after that it needs to come from work done through the school, hence the sustained membership with that school's troupe.

2. I usually follow the published guidelines for various activities earning points; thus, I have never included class performances because our troupe falls under a Student Activity designation and as such, is extra-curricular. We do make exceptions for students who are on air talent for our school news broadcasts.

3. Since one point equals ten hours 'of excellent' work, I use this as a guide for participation and time; thus, an usher who volunteers for a three hour tour (a three hour tour...thankyewveddymuch) for a typical production would need to do three performances to get one point.

4. Also, the points listed are a guide; I love the 'excellent' adjective because I have had students who participated but not in ways that upheld excellence as an ideal (per the oath). This means sometimes a lead does not get 8 points but may only get five or six.

5. Because I have worked in schools that have a lettering system, I have to follow two different sets of rules and expectations should we also have a Thespian troupe; this sometimes yields cross over and double dipping, but it is addressed ahead of time.

This might be worthy of a discussion panel at the ITF and the discussion notes could be disseminated later via the Head Office.

Lori Constable
    Teacher; director of Drama
    Independent District 112
    Chanhassen MN

• 17.  RE: Thespian Points

Posted 04-06-2015 16:09

Hi, Jeana

The short answer is that the decision to award points for classroom work (or not) is made by the troupe director as guided by school policy. From my experience most troupes don't award points for classroom work unless it is tied directly to co-curricular productions and projects. They make a distinction between class work (evaluated by grades), and work done outside a class (evaluated by Thespian or Junior Thespian points). The reasons for not awarding points for curricular work range from providing fair access to points to reducing "point inflation" to encouraging active participation in productions and other co-curricular activities. Each school is unique, so the troupe director is in the best position to tailor point guidelines to their program while maintaining honor society standards.

As an example, there are some schools that have little or no production-based and/or co-curricular drama program. This is particularly common in schools outside the US. In those cases, many of the production-based, recommended point awards don't apply, and most if not all of the work the students do is in a classroom setting. These students do exceptional work, too, so their troupe directors may choose to award points for that work in a way that complements the grading system.

Because there is some gray area here, this type of Community discussion is a great way to get ideas from troupe directors with similar programs and adapt them to your own. Thanks everyone for sharing!  Of course troupe directors are always welcome to contact the membership team at the National Office to ask questions or get some feedback on ideas.

I hope this helps!

-----------------------------

Brian Benz
    Membership Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Covington KY

• 18.  RE: Thespian Points

Posted 04-08-2015 00:24
    Thanks for all the great input. It's given me a lot to think about. I do think this would be a great panel discussion for national conference. On one hand, I think a consistent policy would be good, but on the other hand, I like the flexibility of each troupe being able to adjust the point qualifications to meet the needs of their program and community. I follow the 10 hour rule, but it seems to contradict some of the standard points awarded. However, that would change as well,dependent on what hours are invested in a particular production. A lead may certainly invest more than 80 hours and an usher may only invest three, but I figure it sort of evens out if a student's role varies with each production. I often have students that do community theatre outside of school and I don't have any problems awarding those points if they can be verified with a published program from the organization. The idea of 'excellent' work intrigues me. For example, my advanced drama class was supposed to perform at an elementary school, but they were not prepared and were not even off book two days prior to the scheduled performance, so I cancelled the performance & they were not given any points and their grades were affected as well. I don't give points for class performances, even if they are at night because that is their final exam, in lieu of a written one. However, I did still honor any points awarded by my predecessor. I am rebuilding a defunct program and am trying to get kids excited about becoming an official Thespian, so I don't want to be too strict. However, I tell students that it is an honor society specifically for actors, so I believe the points should not be given too easily so they are valued as something that is earned through excellent work and commitment. Students have to be invited to join, so their work needs to be worthy of that invitation. Currently, my administration does not recognize and won't allow students to wear Thespian Honor cords for the graduation ceremony, but I hope that in taking this approach, that may change. This discussion may be ongoing and possibly ever changing. I really like learning what other Troupe Directors do as it helps me create standards & policies that are consistent with others. Thanks again. ------------------------------ Jeana Whitaker Theatre Director Mesa AZ ------------------------------

• 19.  RE: Thespian Points

Posted 04-08-2015 08:11

This is just the kind of conversation the community exists for. Thank you all for your comments. We cannot stress enough that ITS IS an honor society and induction is earned. It's a big deal. If WE don't treat it as such, why should anyone else?

Jeana, you're not alone in the struggle to get permission for your students to wear honor cords, stoles, medallions or any other items for graduation. We hear stories all the time about students who have to keep their honors under the gown until after graduation and then pull them out for photos. One day, hopefully we'll see pictures of students crossing that stage proudly displaying all sorts of honoraria. Keep educating the powers to be about the fact that this is indeed an honor society and our students deserve to "brag" as much as anyone else at graduation. No matter what, make sure your students know what they've achieved. That's the biggest priority.

David LaFleche
    Director Of Membership
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati OH

• 20.  RE: Thespian Points

Posted 04-08-2015 15:43

I only have my most advanced class do a public performance.  Most if it is rehearsed in class but we usually have 2-3 days of rehearsal after school plus the performance so that comes to roughly 10 hours. So, I only give one point. Two for the student director.

I am confused as to how some people with leading roles are not getting 80 hours. The actors with leading roles, especially in a musical are in rehearsal 2-3.5 hours a day 5 days a week counting the scene, vocal and dance rehearsals.  During tech week and performances they usually have some of the earliest call times and then the performance is another 2-3 hours. We run three weekends (8-9 performances). I know that is more than most high schools but I feel as though I am cheating most of them by giving them only 8 points (if they do an excellent job).  As, as far as the officers go, the numbers don't even come close to the hours that we meet to plan for the events of the year, the events that they are required to be at just because they are club officers.  We do a play and a musical, a haunted house, two performances by my advanced classes and more. With the current point system even some of my most active students (the ones who eat, drink, live and breathe my program) are not graduating with enough points to get them recognized with the higher awards. I am inspired by those of you who go strictly on hours. Food for thought for the future.

Helen Dixon
    Oakley CA