Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  The Trojan Women

Posted 04-01-2015 14:21

Can anyone recommend a good, relatively contemporary translation of Euripides', The Trojan Women?

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Terri Ferguson
    Performing Arts Faculty
    Ursuline Academy of Dallas
    Dallas TX

• 2.  RE: The Trojan Women

Posted 04-02-2015 06:33
    Robinson Jeffers has a good one. I have it with the chorus divided into 7 women and the guard lit into 3 if you are interested. Send me your email and I can send it to you. Great play! ------------------------------ Elisabeth Ledwell Falmouth MA ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: The Trojan Women

Posted 04-02-2015 08:06
    I used the Nicholas Rudall translation for a joint production with my high school girls and professional men.  the Rudall is very performable, and yet retains the rhythms and poetry without clunkiness.  It was recommended by the chair of the classics department at a university and so I was skeptical that it may be too academic.  not true - Extremely accessible translation.  We are also an all girls school - it works quite well.  Good luck!

Janetta Davis
    Theater Program Coordinator
    Bexley OH

• 4.  RE: The Trojan Women

Posted 04-02-2015 15:34

Barrie Kosky did a brilliant version at the Sydney Theatre Company a few years ago; if you can get ahold of that, do so (if you've got the talent pool--bloody strong staging) as it was amazeballs. I also did a translation I found online for a class I taught and had each student adapt the scenes as part of an assignment. Turned into a really powerful piece of theatre.  Best wishes on your search (and kudos for the choice!).

Lori

Lori Constable
    Teacher; director of Drama
    Independent District 112
    Chanhassen MN

• 5.  RE: The Trojan Women

Posted 05-12-2015 18:25

Terri,

Are you still looking for a contemporary translation of TROJAN WOMEN? I have a fantastic one that the Oregon Shakespeare Festival did about fifteen years ago. Let me know if you are interested.

Nancy Bernhard
    Salinas CA