Open Forum

View Only

Shakespeare scripts

• 1.  Shakespeare scripts

Posted 03-26-2015 08:29

Okay--I'll readily admit I have avoided doing Shakespeare for a very long time, but am now seriously thinking about Romeo and Juliet, not only as a good experience for the kids, but a challenge to myself.  And... as long as the entire freshman class has to read the book, a good cross-curricular event that could raise a good bit of money.  (I'm hoping to bolster our funds with this, so we can support a really ambitious musical next year that has a lot of special effects, including flying.)

Which brings me to my question: where can I find a public domain version of Romeo and Juliet that I can cut freely (not too freely, just a bit here and there without having to work with publishers, etc) and won't cost me much, if anything, in royalties?  

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Holly
    ------------------------------
    Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 2.  RE:Shakespeare scripts

Posted 03-26-2015 11:43
    There are several places to find PDFs online. Try this one: http://www.pubwire.com/DownloadDocs/PDFiles/SHAKESPR/TRAGEDY/RMEOJLET.PDF Here' another: http://alfonz.matusmarcin.com/ws_raj.pdf We did R&J about ten years ago, with a good amount of success. The kids seemed to really get a lot out of the experience. Break a leg with it!

-------------------------------------------
    Jeremy Williams
    Adel GA

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 3.  RE: Shakespeare scripts

Posted 03-26-2015 13:57

Admittedly I am no expert on PD works...but an online PDF doesn't necessarily grant performance rights. IMO. For example, the link to the PDF on pubwire.com has the text beginning on page 5. I would be concerned for the potentially 4 missing pages that may/may not have a performance prohibition/license requirement.  Shakespeare is definitely in PD. But I would think you'd need to find a text that is free & clear. And possibly also purchase a copy for each person in the cast, not merely photocopying a PDF.

Non-expert.

Michael McDonough
    New York NY

• 4.  RE:Shakespeare scripts

Posted 03-26-2015 14:28
    Fair enough. I just grabbed the first two links I found & put them up. Here's the PDF from Folger. It specifically says it's free to use in the forward. http://www.folgerdigitaltexts.org/PDF/Rom.pdf

Jeremy Williams
    Adel GA

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 5.  RE: Shakespeare scripts

Posted 03-26-2015 19:00

I believe all Shakespeare scripts, or the majority of them, are in the public domain. If you are going to try Shakespeare, may I recommend:

Will Power: How to Act Shakespeare in 21 Days (Applause Books)by John Basil and Stephanie Gunning

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 6.  RE: Shakespeare scripts

Posted 03-27-2015 08:59

I second this recommendation!  Will Power is outstanding and students love how accessible it makes Shakespeare.

Word of clarification - while Shakespeare's work is in Public Domain, many Editor's work is not.   If someone edited and formatted the play, they are owed for their work.  Be sure that you have a PD script.  Any purchased script more than likely will have some fees attached to it.  

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 7.  RE: Shakespeare scripts

Posted 03-27-2015 09:12
    I agree with John.  Will Power is a great resource for anyone doing Shakespeare.

Robert DiMartino
    Theatre Teacher
    Cumberland High School
    West Warwick RI

• 8.  RE: Shakespeare scripts

Posted 03-26-2015 20:08

The best place I've found to get any Shakespeare script online is on the MIT website at

http://shakespeare.mit.edu/romeo_juliet/full.html

You can get the full text on one page or go scene by scene.  Then just copy and past into your favorite word processor. Shakespeare is in the public domain and there are no royalties 

However...

We do a Shakespeare (or Moliere) every other year.  I like to buy the parallel editions for kids to reference what they are saying.  It saves lots of confusion and is worth the couple bucks each paperback copy costs. There's not too much that needs to be cut from R&J unless you want to trim or eliminate Paris.  There's maybe a few longer passages near the end to cut, especially the Friar, but R&J isn't that bad for a first time try at Shakespeare.

James Mead
    Director of Drama
    Palmer AK

• 9.  RE: Shakespeare scripts

Posted 03-27-2015 10:19
    I like the MIT site for actual Shakespeare, which is clearly public domain. I have copied that into Word and Google Docs to make altering and cuts easy. However, Orson Scott Card has a free version, already slightly amended for public performance, on his website. If you acknowledge him in the program, the cost is free, a great service from a famous author. I did his version of The Taming of the Shrew three years ago, and it was great! ------------------------------ Joshua Brady Menifee CA ------------------------------

• 10.  RE: Shakespeare scripts

Posted 03-27-2015 07:21
    Because Shakespeare is public Domain you can do whatever you want to it and not worry about paying someone. If you use an adaptation or "edited for stage" version you will end up paying royalties. Lots of free online text-only copies o R&J out there. You can save to your computer and make your cuts before you print and hand out scripts. Copying is an issue in my building however. I purchased books from Dover Thrift Editions at $1.50 each and made whatever cuts in rehearsals. ------------------------------ Scott Hasbrouck Wheat Ridge CO ------------------------------

• 11.  RE: Shakespeare scripts

Posted 03-27-2015 07:57

The Folger online version of Shakespeare's texts are free to copy and use.  Don't be shy about cutting whatever you want to cut.  Make your own script to suit your own purpose - be fearless.  My advise there is just try to maintain the purity of the scansion flow, meaning try to keep couplets together, cut two lines rather than just one, and only if the grammar of the sentence remains in tact.  There are no royalties to perform a script that you have cut for yourself.  If you purchase a Shakespeare script that someone else has cut and prepped, you will have to purchase a full set of scripts and pay performance royalties.

I strongly suggest investing in a good Shakespeare dictionary.  It can clear up a lot of questions as you go through the tablework process.  I use Shakespeare's Words: A Glossary and Language Compmanion, by David and Ben Crystal.

Meredith Stephens
    Greensboro NC

• 12.  RE: Shakespeare scripts

Posted 03-27-2015 08:45
    All of Shakespeare's works are in the public domain--you can cut, add, delete as you see fit.  I would highly recommend using a parallel text with your students--Perfection Learning has an excellent one for Romeo and Juliet which provides a line by line paraphrase across the page. This helps speed up the process of understanding.    No Fear Shakespeare is also good, but uses a more generalized translation into modern English.  I've done Romeo and Juliet several times--most recently this summer--you'll have a blast with your students.  Good luck!

Ron Parker
    Appleton WI

• 13.  RE: Shakespeare scripts

Posted 03-28-2015 13:47

Shakespeare's plays are all in the public domain, as long as you're not using a version that's already been cut by someone.

When we do Shakespeare at school, I buy copies of the Folger edition paperbacks for the cast members. The Folger editions are inexpensive and have a glossary on the page facing each page of dialogue. They lines are individually numbered.  Before I go into rehearsal, I cut the script (and you might want to do some serious cutting on R & J as it can run upwards of 3 hours if you do it in its entirety) and make copies of the cut sheet, citing line numbers and beginning and end words. I distribute these along with the scripts on the day that I post the cast list. The students know to arrive to the first rehearsal with a cut script (in pencil in case we need to make changes to the cuts)  so that we can do a read-through. This has worked pretty well for 30+ years.

Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    Alexandria VA

• 14.  RE: Shakespeare scripts

Posted 03-28-2015 17:22

Unless it is an adaptation that is specifically copyrighted for stage production--which, unless there are definitive changes in the text, is unlikely--all Shakespeare plays are non-royalty.

I recently published a book (August, 2014) through Smith and Kraus on working with young actors on Shakespeare, entitled Translating Shakespeare:  A Guidebook for Young Actors.  I've taught Shakespeare to high school students for nearly 30 years, and directed high school students in 18 Shakespeare titles (half of the canon). I'd love it if the book proved helpful in any way to you in your preparations.

Best of luck!  I hope your students love their experience with Romeo and Juliet!

David Montee
    Director Theatre Division
    Interlochen MI

• 15.  RE: Shakespeare scripts

Posted 03-28-2015 17:54

Incidentally....there are numerous PD websites that will offer PDF or Word Documents of R&J that can be downloaded, then cut and edited to your own individual needs.  Then printed, so that you can fashion your own cuts, emendations, and adaptations of language, as appropriate.

Again.....have fun!  Once your students understand the context of the language, they should have a great time discovering how modern Shakespeare's sensibility really is.  My students invariably fall in love with him--even with plays like PERICLES and CYMBELINE.

David Montee
    Interlochen MI

• 16.  RE: Shakespeare scripts

Posted 03-28-2015 21:02

We just finished class productions of Romeo & Juliet and A Midsummer Night's Dream. I cut both texts considerably, adhering to advice already given in this discussion (scansion, cut two lines/couplets rather than one), and found it to be very rewarding for myself, helping me to regain my familiarity with the text as I prepared for its production.

'Speaking the Speech' is also a fairly decent resource, as well as the Globe Theatre Education's 'Creative Shakespeare.' Both books offer good ideas, and having said that, I am excited to seek out the 'Will Power' and other recommendations given in this discussion!

I absolutely recommend using some kind of parallel 'translation'. I did not use one for our recent productions, and whilst the kids did great, I think I could have saved us all a lot of time by employing someone other than me to explain every other sentence...

Phillip Goodchild
    Ruskin FL

• 17.  RE: Shakespeare scripts

Posted 03-30-2015 08:22

I'm with you Phillip.  When I cut the scripts I learn about the play, and also become painfully aware of language, references, or elements that escape me before they reach my middle schoolers.  In a world where I had more time and resources, I always thought it would be worthwhile to have students involved in this process for the same reason.

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Ferndale MI

• 18.  RE: Shakespeare scripts

Posted 03-31-2015 06:30

Over my years of working with Shakespeare plays on stage and in classrooms, I've become convinced that the plays, as they have come down to us from their original Quarto and Folio forms, were rarely (with maybe a couple of exceptions) performed uncut by Shakespeare's own company.  I believe that they were added to, subtracted from, and revised extensively for each revival of the play, giving the Elizabethan and Jacobean audiences something new to see and consider each time a familiar title was re-staged.  So don't be afraid of judicious cutting; it's highly unlikely that those original audiences ever sat (or stood) through the uncut Hamlet, All's Well That Ends Well, Cymbeline, Coriolanus, etc. 

But, as others have pointed out, it's always smart to cut the verse in a way that preserves the iambic pentameter whenever possible, matching half lines appropriately with other half lines; and once you begin doing that, it's amazing to see how easy that often is, almost as if there exist ready-made "ghost cuts" that Shakespeare and his fellow actors have left us.

I always recall Jerzy Grotowski's dictum about cutting classical texts.  Some might find it controversial, but it's a good guide:

"We must eliminate all parts of a dramatic text with which we cannot strongly agree or disagree."​

If nothing else, this approach helps make certain that you feel passionately about what you don't cut.

David Montee
    Interlochen MI

• 19.  RE: Shakespeare scripts

Posted 03-31-2015 08:12

First, I will admit that I have not read every comment in this conversation, so I hope I am not repeating others, but chances are VERY GOOD that I am.  I'm also probably giving you more information than you want, so feel free to stop when I don't provide the answers you need!  Seriously, I won't be offended.

I try to produce Shakespeare every two years or so.  This year is a double.  Most of the time, I will adapt/cut the script myself...save the money, right?  PDF from online!  I have cut Romeo and Juliet, A Midsummer, & Much Ado About Nothing in the last ten years.  I've also adapted Romeo and Juliet into Juliet and Romeo (I'll be happy to explain if you really want to know about it...later.)  However, I am about to order an adapted one-act version of As You Like It from Theatrefolk because I actually prefer this cutting and honestly, I don't have the time to cut because the show is in May. 

I'm also a big fan of updating the setting.  It doesn't always have to be modern day.  Over many years, I have set R&J in 20's New Orleans & modern 2010 (Romeo looked like Billy Joe Armstrong!) 

A Midsummer in the Romantic Period with all costumes and set pieces based upon paintings of that period & in 1910 with a silent movie look, all black, white, & gray - except for the fairies of course.  I've even produced the show where the mechanicals were members of a bowling league! 

Much Ado was set on a modern day college campus - toga party & pep rally included.  

I agree with others - use a parallel text...once they get the gist, your kids can determine what is being said, but that bit of help can make a huge difference.  Not sure if any of this has helped and if it hasn't, I'm so sorry!  Trust yourself, you know what works for your kids!! 

CCG

Carolyn Cork  Greer
    Owensboro KY