Open Forum

View Only

Undergraduate Tips and Tricks for Theatre Education Majors

• 1.  Undergraduate Tips and Tricks for Theatre Education Majors

Posted 03-25-2015 23:07

Hello everyone, I am currently an undergraduate Secondary Education Major with and emphasis in Theatre at the University of Nevada, Reno. I am also an EdTA Pre-Professional Member. I am constantly looking to learn more new and exciting things before I get my degree and go into into the profession of Theatre Education. So, I want to ask all of you, what is one piece of advice you could give a student before they graduate and become a Theatre Educator?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Matthew Denney
    Reno, NV

• 2.  RE: Undergraduate Tips and Tricks for Theatre Education Majors

Posted 03-26-2015 06:08
    Try to become a proficient as possible in as many disciplines as you can. You will very likely have to "do it all" especially in the beginning. Learn how to do lights, sound, stagecraft, choreography, etc. Whatever you're not proficient in will be the weakest aspect of your department, unless you're joining an already established Theatre department. Or, like me, you'll be raising money to pay people to do things that are really quite basic and wondering "Why didn't I take this class in college when it was offered?" ------------------------------ Hugh Fletcher Performing Arts Coordinator IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School Bronx NY ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Undergraduate Tips and Tricks for Theatre Education Majors

Posted 03-26-2015 06:32

Be sure to get certified in a second area that is not associated with a lot of paper grading.  I am very fortunate in that I am mostly a full time theatre teacher - many high schools only have part time theatre positions available or it is an after school program.  When I occasionally have to teach in another area, it is very difficult to grade stacks of papers with after school and evening rehearsals and performances.

Kristie Bach
    Traverse City MI

• 4.  RE: Undergraduate Tips and Tricks for Theatre Education Majors

Posted 03-26-2015 08:49
    One thing I would recommend as soon as you find a job is look for a state speech and theater organization to join. This will immediately provide you with and wide and varied network of "local" educators use as you build your program. They will most likely have a conference or two you can attend to help you build and create resources for your classroom. For example here in Missouri we have STAM. The Speech and Theatre Association of Missouri. Check it out at www.speechandtheatremo.org Happy hunting on your job search!

Tom Leith
    Blue Springs MO

• 5.  RE: Undergraduate Tips and Tricks for Theatre Education Majors

Posted 03-26-2015 11:00
    Balance work, life, and play. We as Theatre educators give 110% to teaching, productions, students. Remember that students will graduate, and you must have energy to go on. Get outside the theatre during the day. Have break or lunch with other teachers. Be an advocate for what the Arts do for you, your students, your school, the community. Encourage students to do as well as he/she can in every class and not use your class as an excuse. Never do a show that loses money. Make friends with the custodians and principal's secretary. You will lose your keys at least once. You do not have to "know everything." Teaching Theatre is a collaborative venture with teachers and students learning together. Expect respesct; deserve respect. You are entering one of the best occupations ever. ------------------------------ Gai Jones Ojai CA ------------------------------

• 6.  RE:Undergraduate Tips and Tricks for Theatre Education Majors

Posted 03-26-2015 11:04
    Thank you all for the wonderful responses! This definitely helped me get a different look at my future profession. Plus the different conflicts and obstacles that I'll be facing as a Theatre Educator. Thank you everyone!

-------------------------------------------
    Matthew Denney
    Las Vegas NV
    -------------------------------------------

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 7.  RE: Undergraduate Tips and Tricks for Theatre Education Majors

Posted 03-27-2015 07:19
    Where is the button to click "Like" for this post?  :)  Thanks Gai

Mark Zortman
    PA Chapter Director
    York PA

• 8.  RE: Undergraduate Tips and Tricks for Theatre Education Majors

Posted 03-26-2015 17:59

Dear Matthew,

First, let me congratulate you for knowing what you want to do as a career. I've been teaching Theatre for 16 years now and I can think of nothing more rewarding (except maybe parenting). As an educator, you will have the power to change students' lives. With that power comes great responsibility. My best advice is be a role model for your students. Students will learn from your Theatre knowledge, but more than that, they will learn to be good people. Very few of my students have gone into performing arts as a career, but they have all developed an appreciation for Theatre as an art form. They have learned discipline because I have tried my best to not only teach them discipline, but show them discipline. When I am involved in a production outside of school, I still come to school everyday, on time, and ready to work.

Keep records (or basic notes) of your assignments, exercises, games, etc. I still play games with my students that I learned 35 years ago. Keep what works. 

Challenge yourself to be better than your teachers and challenge your students to be better than you. One of my college professors once said, "I don't want you to be as good a teacher as I am. I want you to be better." What does "better" mean? It could mean more prepared, more involved, more inspiring, etc. Take an interest in the lives of your students, without overstepping the student/teacher relationship. Most of my students become my friends once they graduate, but none of them are my friends while they are still my students.

Best wishes,

Rob

Rob Duval
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    'Iolani School
    Kaneohe HI

• 9.  RE: Undergraduate Tips and Tricks for Theatre Education Majors

Posted 03-27-2015 13:33

I would recommend you take as many tech classes as you can, in addition to the required classes.  Being able to build a strong tech program at your school can do a number of things:

1.  Adding tech theatre classes will attract students who need a Fine Arts credit, but are averse to getting up in front of people, like in music (vocal and instrumental) acting.  Tech class also appeal to people who are afraid they "can't draw" in visual arts classes.  My school of 1,600 students supported 9 semester section of tech theatre classes.

2.  Production values will get better.  With tech classes helping in with the basic set construction (building flats, platforms, stair units, base coating, etc), that will free up the more experienced extra-curricular students to trim out and dress the set.  

3.  After school participation can grow from students who get a taste of tech, and like it.  It became a very cool thing to do at my school, and I eventually had an w\average of 80-100 students sign up for crew work almost every show.  We had to add a touring children's show to break in the newer students.  These crew heads were more experienced techs, and were very proud of their positions training the newbies. 

4.  Better production values raised the bar for everything, and better shows built more parental and administrative support.  We actually had the parents change the structure of the Band Boosters to make ithe t Fine Arts Booster Club.  

5.  The tech program gave kinesthetic learners a place to excel.  Students who hated school found a niche, and newfound respect from the rest of the casts and crews.

6.  Be sure to include academic sections in the tech classes.  Script analysis, lighting and set design units, and a theatre history unit geared towards the history of theatrical staging conventions.  

7.  Use cross curricular input wherever possible.  

I used to team-teach the "color in light" section with the physics teacher.  

The advanced desktop publishing teacher broke the class into 5 groups, and provided them with the raw materials for the program.  They then competed to see who could lay out the program, and then combine their ideas.  They all got free tickets to the show.

When we did The Wizard of Oz, the Metals class made the Tin Woodsman's costume.

When doing period plays, team up with the appropriate Social Studies classes for a team teaching unit on the time period of the play.   Also, try to do a play in the Communication Skills Department's curriculum as often as possible.  Mice and Men.  Shakespeare.  Anything in their curriculum. 

If you would like a handout I use in my workshops about Building Your Tech Theatre Program, please let me know, and I can send it to you.  Just let me know where to send it as an attachment.  

Bob Fowler
    Co-Developer
    Interactive Educational Video, LLC
    Chesterfield MO

• 10.  RE: Undergraduate Tips and Tricks for Theatre Education Majors

Posted 03-28-2015 21:29

1. Definitely learn all the technical aspects. You're more than likely going to have to be a one-man department with oversight on EVERYTHING.

2. Take a crash course in Arts Management, especially budgeting and marketing.

3. Don't be discouraged when it doesn't work out exactly how you planned it...

4. Read everything you can, whenever you can! Take notes on what's worth remembering. 

5. Start cataloguing good monologues, duologues, groups, solo and duet and group musical scenes for your future students. Read plays with an eye to using them for your future students to perform. 

6. Read the EdTA community every day! I learn something new every time I log in, and am so encouraged by what I find here!

Phillip Goodchild
    Ruskin FL

• 11.  RE: Undergraduate Tips and Tricks for Theatre Education Majors

Posted 03-30-2015 21:28
    Speaking as another undergraduate studying Theatre Ed, this was all so incredibly helpful!  Thank you all SO much!

Corey Ragan
    Student
    Wittenberg University
    Columbus OH

• 12.  RE: Undergraduate Tips and Tricks for Theatre Education Majors

Posted 03-30-2015 22:09
    This is all such superb advice! I'd like to collect it all and put it in a blog post. I'd credit all of you by name if you'd like to be acknowledged for your wise words. Thoughts?

Rosalind Flynn
    Head of the M.A. in Theatre Education
    The Catholic University of America
    Silver Spring MD

• 13.  RE: Undergraduate Tips and Tricks for Theatre Education Majors

Posted 03-31-2015 11:03
    Would love to help capture the Tips offered by educators in our field. What a gift to present and future Theatre educators. ------------------------------ Gai Jones Ojai CA ------------------------------