Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Breaking New Ground

Posted 11-18-2013 00:03
    What has been previously un-attempted at your school? What have students been doing that has been completely daring and with no precedence to use as a model?

Example: I'm currently directing Webster's first Musical One Act! We have two festivals a year of original, student written One Acts, and this winter I will produce the first ever Musical to appear in one of these festivals.

What have your students been up to?

-------------------------------------------
    Duncan Kinzie
    Region II Rep

• 2.  RE:Breaking New Ground

Posted 11-19-2013 15:37
    I am always at a loss to be able to cast the numbers of talented students that I have in one musical, so this year we are doing two musicals!  We did The Drowsy Chaperone as our main show, and are doing The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee as the second show because it can be done more simply in our usual one-acts spot.  Instead of one acts, we did a comedy improv night in 10 rehearsals!  It was terrific! And the practice in improvisation for an audience really helped get the students ready for the wacky comedy in The Drowsy Chaperone--which was also a hit!  I have to produce two musicals on one musical budget, so we are very tight and had to do a lot of bartering, but we are getting it done! 

Ruthie Tutterow
    Director of Fine and Performing Arts