Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Parent Contracts

Posted 03-23-2015 22:27

I am so done with parents pulling students from a production because they want to go on vacation, or the child is struggling in a class, or for some other punishment, or because they want their child to attend a college orientation on the day of a performance, etc.  I even once had a parent that told her child she couldn't show up on closing night (she had a lead) because she needed her to babysit her younger siblings so she could go on a date.

I am considering implementing a contract that the parent, as well as the child, has to sign.  They need to understand that this is a commitment for the entire family, not just the student.  Does anyone else have any experience with this or words of wisdom they want to pass along?  I'm really tired of parents who view my program like as sports program where I can just pull another child from the bench whenever they feel like quitting.  They don't seem to have any respect for the amount of work that goes into a production, nor do they have any understanding of how a production functions.  They don't show up for meetings or to help in any way, so I can't use that forum.  They don't seem to understand or even care about the amount of money and time that everyone else has invested to make it happen. 

I just don't know that a contract will do any good, as I feel that there is no respect for what the program and production actually provides for their children and their is no recourse if they quit and break the contract anyway. 

Feeling low.  Thanks.

------------------------------
    Jeana Whitaker
    Theatre Director
    Mesa AZ

• 2.  RE: Parent Contracts

Posted 03-24-2015 06:12
    Hi Jeana, I feel your pain but also cannot even imagine a lead not showing up for a performance! Have you talked to your administrator or principle about this? It would be helpful to have a handbook similar to athletics. My school has a handbook for all extra-curricular activities and consequences are the same across the board. My actors and parents sign a contract up front which lists black out days and there are no exceptions. A contract may help them take you and the program more seriously. ------------------------------ Connie Sandoz Theatre Director Henderson NV ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Parent Contracts

Posted 03-24-2015 07:24
    My audition form has a contract on it that covers our "rehearsal parameters" and commitment to production. Both students and parents must sign it and I keep them on file.

Elyse Tomlinson
    Nottingham NH

• 4.  RE: Parent Contracts

Posted 03-24-2015 08:15
      |   view attached

Here is what I give the students who are cast at our read through, and it is to be turned in the very next day or whenever the first rehearsal is going to take place.

Another thing I do to solve this issue, is I send home a rehearsal schedule well before auditions with interested students so they and their parents/gaurdians know the commitment from the beginning. When they come to auditions, I also have the calander posted next to the audition forms. On the auditon forms there is a place for scheduling conflicts with a note that says, "We will take these dates into consideration when casting you, any other conflicts that you have that you do not list here may not be excused and can keep you from being cast again in the future" something like that, so the students and parents know this is a serious business. 

After all this, there still will be one that drops the ball so to speak, but this system has truly helped. 

Kala Cookendorfer
    Speech and Drama Teacher
    Morehead KY

Attachment(s)

docx
    Actor Contract.docx   13 KB 1 version

• 5.  RE: Parent Contracts

Posted 03-24-2015 14:00

Thank you, Kala, and others for the great ideas and commiserations. There is a general lack of understanding on how the rehearsal process works, and it's a case of continuous education for students and parents alike.

I book all my dates at the beginning of the year. Our school has an Open House day just before we receive our students, which is the most parent contact I get all year (we are the opposite of the helicopter parent school, just saying). At the Open House I give every parent that comes in the handout with all our important dates (I love the term, 'blackout date' said by someone else, definitely going to start using that term!). I explain that this is a performance class, and part of the grade to pass the class is public performance. 99% of parents verbally and enthusiastically agree to this, which is lovely. I also use Remind to send out messages to parents and students, as well as an automated voicemail messaging system that sends out periodic reminders about upcoming commitments.

Even with all this, yes, there is still the odd kook in the crowd who thinks it doesn't apply to them. They tend to fail my class as a result.

I think a handbook and a more explicit parent/student contract is definitely in order. I use one, but on the basis of discussions in this thread, it's time to update mine.

Thank you, everyone! Great ideas and wisdom.

Phillip Goodchild
    Ruskin FL

• 6.  RE: Parent Contracts

Posted 03-24-2015 11:22

This is my 29th year in the public school system.  I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you are going to fight this for as long as you teach theatre. It's not just actors, I have had some techie losses that sent us into scramble mode also.  My strategies include: 

1. An audition application that contains overall GPA, 3 teacher recommendations, a section for possible conflicts, and a parent acknowledgement of the time commitment.  Newbies never get leads and I don't give second chances to people who don't fulfill responsiblities.  Anyone who leaves us in a bind will not be cast in a subsequent show. 

2. Attendance tracking and discipline for absenteeism, tardies, and leave earlies throughout the rehearsal process. Discipline can take many forms - push ups, coaching someone else, cleaning back stage, sweeping, carrying, lugging heavy stuff - whatever needs done at the time.   

3. Double casting or use of understudies.  Never count on a single student to create a single role. When you cast, plan who will switch to which role in the event of a loss. Make sure the students already know who is taking their role if they are not responsible.  I label it as "steal the role you want."  Interestingly enough, the selfish nature of the leads turns on and they get really determined that no one else is going to get a chance to "steal" their role. 

4. Be sure when using the Thespian point system that your cast and crew know these are "reward" points for excellence.  You can't earn points for shoddy work.

5. Pray more, breathe deep, get some fresh air, and above all, don't take it personally.
    Patt Martin-McNorton 
    Jacksonville FL

• 7.  RE: Parent Contracts

Posted 03-24-2015 15:52
    Parent buy-in is absolutely a must.  I make that very clear at the beginning of the season and each production.  I've had parent meetings once a year (with moderate success) and parent contracts.  On big productions I publish newsletters every week or two during rehearsals, reminding parents of the commitment level required by all.  Our productions can cost upwards of $15-20K and we can't afford to have a lead not make it because of a parental whim.  I hate to say this, but if that were to happen, the student would no longer get roles any bigger than non-speaking chorus member.  Not that it happens often, students have been unofficially blacklisted in our theatre community when several antics happen. Directors talk and students often audition for high school and community theatre alike. It's hard, but once there is a severe consequence to someone, the word gets around and parents and students can depend on what's going to happen.

James Mead
    Director of Drama
    Palmer AK

• 8.  RE: Parent Contracts

Posted 03-24-2015 18:05

I have parent contracts on my audition forms, but you still have some parents that don't and won't ever "get it".  One thing that helps is to have a parent orientation at the beginning of the year; but usually the ones that are going to be difficult; are going to be difficult.

Get to know your students and if they pull any of that let them know that it will and does affect your casting them ever again.

Hang in there.  

Patricia Reeves
    Shreveport LA

• 9.  RE: Parent Contracts

Posted 03-25-2015 09:28
    Thank you so much everyone! There are a lot of great ideas here that I will be putting in place for next year. I'm so grateful to have a community of theatre teachers to reach out to, as we are often the lone wolf at our schools and no one else understands what we do, how we do it or even why we do it. ------------------------------ Jeana Whitaker Theatre Director Mesa AZ ------------------------------