Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Schools for Theatre Education: Undergrad

Posted 03-23-2015 10:28

Here at EdTA, we have been asked what the best schools are for when you are interested in a degree in Theatre Education.

I know we have great responses about masters programs in past forums, but what about undergraduate programs? 

------------------------------
    Erin Ward
    Educational Theatre Association
    Newport KY

• 2.  RE: Schools for Theatre Education: Undergrad

Posted 03-30-2015 22:20
    At Catholic University, we have a B.A.in Drama/M.A. in Theatre Education accelerated degree program. It's not specifically an undergrad Theatre Education program, but undergrads begin their educational theatre courses, earn a B.A. in Drama plus a minor in English, and then because 4 courses count towards both the Bachelors and the Masters, spend another year earning the Masters, followed by student teaching. Students end the program with the 2 degrees as a licensed secondary Theatre and English teacher.

Rosalind Flynn
    Head of the M.A. in Theatre Education
    The Catholic University of America
    Silver Spring MD

• 3.  RE: Schools for Theatre Education: Undergrad

Posted 03-31-2015 09:27
    Lipscomb University is becoming more and more a powerhouse for Theatre Education! They offer BFA's in Directing, Acting, and Tech, and they will soon add Film! (there is already a Master's degree in Film!) Mike Fernandez is over the college of Arts and Entertainment, and his vision for the program continues to foster a growth mindset, so it's only going to get better and better! The faculty are some of the most talented in the field, and their productions are superb! Come to Nashville and check out Lipscomb University! ------------------------------ Suzanne Craig HS Theatre Director Lipscomb Academy HS Nashville TN ------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Schools for Theatre Education: Undergrad

Posted 04-02-2015 14:42

It all depends on the student ultimately. When I was choosing what schools to look into more, they all started sounding the same until I finally just said "Okay, I'll just pick this one." Affordable, community based, and more opportunities than I could imagine.

But when choosing the university or Theatre Education program, you just have to look at the area that surrounds your school and see what if you will have all the opportunities you can get your hands on.

Hope this helped!

Matthew Denney
    Reno, NV

• 5.  RE: Schools for Theatre Education: Undergrad

Posted 04-03-2015 13:46
    We offer a Speech and Theatre Education program at William Jewell College near Kansas City, MO. Students are certified to teach (speech, debate, theatre) in the state of Missouri, but can easily transfer to other states by taking a test. Students get comprehensive coursework in theatre studies (both performance and design/tech) and a capstone project of acting, directing, and designing their own show senior year. Check out: www.jewell.edu/theatre for more information. Or feel free to contact me directly at wymann@william.jewell.edu ------------------------------ Nathan Wyman Director of Theatre William Jewell College Liberty MO ------------------------------

• 6.  RE: Schools for Theatre Education: Undergrad

Posted 04-03-2015 14:26

Emerson has a strong program. A good friend went through it and always spoke very highly of it. (I believe NYU also has a strong one.)

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 7.  RE: Schools for Theatre Education: Undergrad

Posted 04-04-2015 12:21
    Illinois State University has a good program for those in Illinois.

Tom Skobel
    Theatre Director
    Glenbard South High School
    Glen Ellyn IL