Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Antigone

Posted 03-16-2015 20:17

Hello. I'm looking at doing Antigone in the fall, but I want a public domain translation (otherwise, Burial at Thebes works well) so that I can mike minor adjustments for my show's vision. Has anyone used one in the past that worked well? I keep finding one that uses very stilted language in order to fit the verse more than the English flavor.

Thanks for considering!

------------------------------
    Chip Goff
    English and Theatre Instructor
    Mobile AL

• 2.  RE: Antigone

Posted 03-17-2015 07:24
    I am currently in rehearsals with Jean Anouilh's version. It's got some good material already. We're setting it post-apocalyptic. No need to change words. Otherwise, if you want a translation straight from Sophocles, Fitts and Fitzgerald is the one I used in my English class. Very accessible language. ------------------------------ Scott Hasbrouck Wheat Ridge CO ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Antigone

Posted 03-17-2015 07:57

Why not take a public domain translation and rewrite as a cast/class project?

You might look at Project Gutenberg for public domain versions.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 4.  RE: Antigone

Posted 03-17-2015 10:02

Burial at Thebes is awesome, slightly more esoteric than others (can be a pro or a con, depending on your students). Fagles is an excellent translation, but you would still need to pay license (fairly inexpensive, I think it was $70 a performance for us).

Excellent idea to do 'your own' translation/paraphrase from multiple versions as a base.

Phillip Goodchild
    Ruskin FL

• 5.  RE: Antigone

Posted 03-17-2015 11:47

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

I do love Burial at Thebes and the Anouilh version, but they already have added layers that send the show certain directions.

I absolutely love the Fitts and Fitzgerald translation, but I cannot figure out if there are performance rights out there for it. Trying to locate any has been a hassle.

Maybe I will have to do the public domain ones with edits if I cannot find the Fitts performance information.

Thanks again everyone! Y'all are awesome!

Chip
    Chip Goff
    English and Theatre Instructor
    Mobile AL

• 6.  RE: Antigone

Posted 03-18-2015 14:08

The very best translation of ANTIGONE-and OEDIPUS, for that matter-is from Robert Falges. His THEBAN CYCLE (ANTIGONE, OEDIPUS, OEDIPUS AT COLONUS) is available on Amazon, and some books are selling for mere pennies. The dialogue is poetic without being stilted.

I'm not sure if the translation is public domain, however. .

Nancy Bernhard
    Salinas CA

• 7.  RE: Antigone

Posted 03-19-2015 08:34
    The Fagles translation, while one of the best, most poetic, and most actable, is NOT in the public domain. ------------------------------ Michael Bergman Teacher/Director Alexandria VA ------------------------------