Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Wizard Of Oz Ideas

Posted 03-15-2015 16:49
    My theatre group is staging TWoO and I am looking for ideas for the balloon ascension. We have no rigging so flying is not an option. Ideas?

-------------------------------------------
    Susan Tomlin
    Teacher/Theatre Director
    Madison Southern High School
    Berea KY
    -------------------------------------------

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 2.  RE: Wizard Of Oz Ideas

Posted 03-16-2015 10:55
    We did Oz last year, and also have no fly system. We built a "basket" (it was wood painted to look like a basket), and it was on wheels. I staged it so there were some Ozians waving goodbye and crowding the basket pushing it off into the wings. It worked out pretty well. It was the best solution I could come up with. Good luck! 

------------------------------
    Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA

• 3.  RE: Wizard Of Oz Ideas

Posted 03-16-2015 17:52

We actually just closed this show and came up with the easiest way EVER to stage a balloon without rigging.  We simply had our Wizard off stage on a ladder.  He was holding one end of a rope while the guard stood on stage with the other.  All the Ozians on stage looked offstage at the "balloon" as the Wizard was speaking.  When it came time for the balloon to fly off, our Wizard, climbed up the ladder and flung the rope to make it appear that he was flying up.  My actors followed the imaginary balloon up with their eyes.

It was so simple and really effective.  Best of luck. . .it's a fun show!

Annie Rice
    Spring Hill TN

• 4.  RE: Wizard Of Oz Ideas

Posted 03-17-2015 08:37

Hi, Becca!

We have the same problem!  Well, that problem and SNOW!!!  We had to postpone the show to April! 

We have a large slim staircase that our Wizard walks up and off into the wings, then, from there, he will "fly" up as everyone watches...

When do you all open?  Hugs!!!!

CG

Carolyn Cork Greer
    Owensboro KY

• 5.  RE: Wizard Of Oz Ideas

Posted 03-17-2015 10:00

This was my first high school show, so I'm not sure if I would do what we did again, but it seemed to go down very well...We had practically zero budget so for the 'balloon' ascension, we used an oversize cardboard box that we decorated with a brown paper weave pattern. For the balloon, we got a helium tank and 30 party balloons and attached them to the 'basket'. The balloon basket started off stage right, and the wizard climbed in (from behind), and when he ascended, the wizard picked up the basket so that his feet were clearly visible, and walked the basket off stage.

It sounds awful, but it worked because we were playing that 'You're watching a play on a stage, and we're deliberately drawing your attention to that' card. We worked that in at another point in the play for the huge 'rock' that Tinman and co are hiding behind before the big fight with the Winkies where they steal the costumes. After the fight, the stage cleared of performers ready to go to the next scene. Lights stayed on the rock, and after 3 seconds of silence, the rock 'got up' and walked off stage (since it was big enough to conceal the actor in it, and we double stacked the joke by having stage hands carry it on before the scene started).

My issue with TWoO was the obscene amount of scene changes. To ensure smooth transitions and to eliminate dead time, rather than blackouts after every scene that required a change, we kept the lights on and used the Jitterbugs to carry props and scenery on and off. The Jitterbugs would be grinning insanely at the audience and mugging at every opportunity, and it was a hugely popular touch which made a huge difference. I hate going to see shows where there is more than 20 seconds of blackout and scene shifting, it totally kills momentum. By having the Jitterbugs be a part of the scenery changing, it created a really neat effect.

Anyway, I enjoyed myself thoroughly! Good luck with your production!

Phillip Goodchild
    Ruskin FL