Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Transitioning from Block Schedule to Traditional

Posted 03-12-2015 12:23

Currently we operate on a block schedule with traditional semester/year long formats.  8 class periods a semester - 4 one day 4 the next.  Each class period is 86 minutes long.

This has been wonderful for both Acting and Stagecraft classes.  We have honed our curriculum and have had a good "groove" going for years.  

In the coming weeks, it is possible we will switch to a traditional 7 day period with 47 minute classes.  This is causing some anxiety for us as we contemplete redesigning our curriculum to fit the shorter class time. 

Has anyone else walked this journey?  Any thoughts or ideas would be so appreciated!!

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 2.  RE: Transitioning from Block Schedule to Traditional

Posted 03-12-2015 18:56
    I work in a school where we have both traditional and block days each week. I currently do a lot of rehearsing and actor work time on block days and use the traditional days for technique work. In my advanced class I've had to create a track list to ensure everyone gets enough rehearsal time. I block the class into 25 minute sections (traditional and block days) and specify what will happen in each section. We are currently working on 10 different scripts as our night of one-acts and student directed shorts are approaching and I eed to ensure their is enough rehearsal time for everyone. I make sure to include time when I am working with the class, or kids, as needed. It's the first time I've done this and it has worked out fairly well. It does mean knowing exactly what you will be working on about 2 weeks in advance and sticking to it is key. It's posted to my faculty webpage so that the kids can access it easily and I update it as often as needed.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Transitioning from Block Schedule to Traditional

Posted 03-13-2015 11:28
    We switched from a block schedule to a regular schedule a few years back and have been running the regular schedule ever since.  It was a little rough at first and I liked the longer times to get things done, but I started to see the advantage to meeting on a regular basis.  Once the students and I got used to the schedule, we were able to get a lot if not more done than when we had the block schedule.  I liked being able to meet with my students everyday instead of every other.  The important thing is that you and your students have to be ready to jump in right where you left off the day before and they can't take time to warm back up into their role.  We have continued to be very successful with the new schedule and now I don't know if I would want to switch back.

Richard Gremel
    Theatre Teacher
    Tucson AZ