Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  NYC theatre tour guides

Posted 03-11-2015 19:18
    A colleague from Australia is bringing students over in their Winter Holidays (three weeks from June into July) of 2016 to take classes at various places and tour the city. Last time she did this, it was through a travel agency in Oz which she says is too exorbitant in cost. Anyone have any leads that she could follow up that are with Stateside agencies, preferably in NYC? Thanks!

------------------------------
    Lori Constable
    Teacher; director of Drama
    Independent District 112
    Chanhassen MN

• 2.  RE: NYC theatre tour guides

Posted 03-12-2015 10:57
    I have used Mary Werther with Gerber Tours, for nine years straight.  We go to NYC every Spring Break.  We see great shows; have great workshops and they always take really good care of us.  www.gerbertours.com

Patricia Reeves
    Shreveport LA

• 3.  RE: NYC theatre tour guides

Posted 09-03-2015 08:49

Mary at Gerber Tours is awesome!

Ty Stover
    Theatre Director
    University High school of Indiana
    Carmel IN

• 4.  RE: NYC theatre tour guides

Posted 03-12-2015 12:03

After a semi-disastrous and far-too-expensive visit using Gerber Tours (a company I do not recommend), I started booking my trip myself.  I've met several different tour guides over the years, and the best by far is Jim Dykes.

www.jimdykes.com

While that probably doesn't help with getting a group to the city from Australia, he's a fabulous resource once you're there.  

Jane Modlin
    Director of Theatre
    Ashland Independent Schools
    Chesapeake OH

• 5.  RE: NYC theatre tour guides

Posted 03-12-2015 15:55

Hi Lori,

I wonder if MTI's Broadway workshops would interest them?  Their 2015 workshops for students are currently sold out, but if she contacted them for 2016, maybe they could help her.  The contact on the website is   pam@Broadwayteachinggroup.com

Not sure if this will work or not...but worth a try.

Good luck!

Vickie Fuller
    Yardley PA

• 6.  RE: NYC theatre tour guides

Posted 03-13-2015 20:12
    Thank you for those suggestions (even the ones that might contradict each other!). I will pass them on to my friend and look forward to hearing about any others that people have used/heard about. FYI she always signs the students up with particular schools so that part is already addressed. Again, mahalo!

Lori Constable
    Teacher; director of Drama
    Independent District 112
    Chanhassen MN

• 7.  RE: NYC theatre tour guides

Posted 09-04-2015 14:05

I have used Pro Musica Tours for two years now. Patrick Lynn is awesome to work with! The tour guides we've had have been professional actors, the workshops are fantastic, and I get to customize the trip the way I want it. 

Kaila Schwartz
    Theatre Arts, Director
    Milpitas Unified School District
    Milpitas CA