Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Recruiting

Posted 03-11-2015 16:54
    I am from a School that tops out at 400 students. Normally, this time of year, I am fighting to get male actors to fill needed slots. This year is different, in that I have all the male I need, but I only have two females to fill seven rolls. There is so much going on this time of year with Track and Tennis, so many of our students are over extended. On top of this, our play is extracurricular, so unlike the music department I cannot tie productions to grades. I need good ideas to recruit and promote. Any help?

------------------------------
    Darren Means
    Hardin MT

• 2.  RE: Recruiting

Posted 03-12-2015 08:52
    I'll trade you 5 girls for 2 boys!

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: Recruiting

Posted 03-12-2015 18:42
    Does your school allow students who earn graduation honors for theatre to wear them at commencement? My kids are always excited to receive the honors and wear them when they graduate. Another thing that we do is pay for an extra performance, done as a matinee during school hours, where we perform for our feeder schools. The kids love having the time off of "regular classes" in order to perform. Is there a way that you can "share" kids with another group? I've, occasionally, worked it so that kids either do between practice and rehearsal, or miss one and then the other. I've had to talk to the coaches in order to arrange this, but it has been possible.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ