Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Mics

Posted 03-11-2015 16:16

I am looking for input about which mics everyone prefers for musical theater.  I need mics that can stand up to numerous costume changes, extremely inexperienced performers, and just generally work every time that I need them to work. Like everyone, I have a limited amount of funding but please hit me with your favorites.  Better to build up with good quality than to buy cheap mics that will not last or serve my purposes.
    ------------------------------
    Ellen Starkey
    Drama/Vocal Teacher
    Baton Rouge LA

• 2.  RE: Mics

Posted 03-12-2015 10:40

Ellen,

For sheer durability, the higher-end Sennheiser body pack units are tough to top. However, there is a way to make things more affordable, even when working with "lower tier" units.

I have had great success with the OSP HS09 earpiece and cable. You can get it in whatever connector you need. The genius of it is that the cable unscrews from the earpiece. The cable is the real wear point. And, HS09s are typically shipped with two cables. So, immediate replacement. 
    http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Core-HS-09-AT-TAN-Microphone-Technica/dp/B003L08EPO

I ran sound for our elementary school for a number of years. Tried quite a few units. The HS09 was the best combination of performance and affordability.

As far as the body packs: Buy the best you can afford.

Find out what dealer churches in your area use. If you've got no one local, may I recommend Sound Enterprises of GA. Devon Patrick really knows his stuff. Drop my name.
    http://www.sound-enterprises.com/

Scott

Scott Piehler
    Drama Director
    Lilburn GA

• 3.  RE: Mics

Posted 03-13-2015 17:08

Hi Ellen.  I always had great luck with Shure gear.  They are durable, reasonably priced, and sound great.  Whatever you decide on, just make sure you get a diversity system.  Some of the cheaper DJ/Aerobics Instructor quality mics are non-diversity.  A diversity system has 2 receivers that will pick up the stronger signal from the belt pack, which makes audio dropouts less likely.  Headset mics have gotten really tiny, and put the mic right by the actor's mouth.  They also come in different colors to help come closer to actor's skin tones.  If you like lab mics, be sure to use medical grade tape. 

Also, look for a frequency agile system.  This allows you to change frequency if you are getting interference from another system, or if you rent additional mics that might be on a frequency you are already using.

Last, avoid belt packs that have the mics hard wired into the belt pack.  Many of the really cheap systems have hard wired mics.  Make sure you can plug and unplug the mic, and keep extra mics and cables backstage so if one gets make-up into the capsule, or fails for any other reason, you don't lose the whole wireless system for that channel. you can just replace the n=mic or possibly the cable.  The most common place I found for mic failure was where the mic plugs into the belt pack, and if you can plug in a new mic, that allows your actor to continue w/o a problem.

Hope this helps some.  

Bob Fowler
    Co-Developer
    Interactive Educational Video, LLC
    Chesterfield MO

• 4.  RE: Mics

Posted 03-12-2015 13:49

Samson, Acacia and Chameleon and others make nice mini or sub mini omnidirectional condenser lapel and or ear worn microphones for about 100 dollars.  I like the ones from Samson as they come with a kit of adapters to be used with different transmitters.  I put the mic in the hair just below the hair line or use an ear-worn mic.  But to be honest, I've become more of a fan of the mini lapel mics over the ear worn.  They are somewhat fragile, but we just train our actors in the use and care of them.  "Fashion" tape and transmitter pack belts are also a good thing to have on hand.

Hope that helps

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 5.  RE: Mics

Posted 03-13-2015 07:14

When you say "microphone" I assume you mean the entire unit: mic, cable, transmitting unit. But all the answers only address the mic element.

What entire microphone combo do you recommend? And how much can we expect to spend? Right now I rent from a local business but I'd like to have some on hand and start to build up or inventory, maybe one or two a year.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 6.  RE: Mics

Posted 06-05-2015 12:50

Before putting out the capital look at the true cost of ownership vs.cost of renting.

8 channels of Shure SLX will run you about $7,500-$9,000 with directional antennas and after market lavs or earsets (Acacia, Chameleon, Bodymics, OSP).  Expected life, so long as the FCC doesn't change your frequency band again is 7 years

So annual capital amortization is say 1175.00

Repairs and maintenance is say  $500.00

Annual cost to own = $1,675.00

Cost to rent $480 per week

if you have 2 shows per year across two week-ends each  you will pay $1,200-1,500 in rent.

So you save money unless you have lots more shows (which also means more maintenance costs). 

Other advantages of renting:

NO STORAGE

NO THEFT

ADJUST SYSTEM SIZE TO SUIT SHOW

NO WORRYING THAT THE FCC WILL MAKE YOUR SYSTEM REDUNDANT

For most schools, owning a multi-channel wireless system is like buying a car when you live in lower Manhatten and never really drive - it turns out that taxis and renatla cars will cost you way less with just a tiny bit of inconvenience - ignoring the fact that your car is probably park 6 blocks away and it's pouring outside.

---
    Rod Reilly
    Somerset NJ

908-899-1277

• 7.  RE: Mics

Posted 06-06-2015 14:46

All great comments so far, Ellen.  If you decide to go with purchasing a system, here are a few things I learned the hard way:

1.  When you spec out a system, make sure you don't get burned by the "low bid" policy in many districts.  I spec-ed out a reliable set of Shure wireless systems, the bond issue passed, and the district purchased aerobics instructor/cheap DJ quality wireless mics.  They sounded terrible, and broke the first few shows we used them.  We corrected this by having the booster club buy us the next round of mics.  Avoid any "comparable equipment" policy at all costs.

2.  Make sure your gear has the following features:

Mics:

Frequency Agile:  This means that if you start getting the local radio station, or cabs driving by, you can change the channel on the belt packs and receivers to a free channel.

Diversity System:  Slightly more expensive than Non-Diversity systems, but Diversity systems have 2 receivers and 2 antennae that are always searching for the strongest signal, and then switch back and forth.  Some models even do a blend of 2 signals.  A Non-Diversity system only has 1 receiver, so you're more prone to audio drop-outs, or loss of signal, and the sound cutting in and out on your actors.

Insist on systems where mics that can be plugged in and out of the belt packs.  I've found that when an actor's mic goes dead, it's often the mic (sweat in the mic capsule, a kinked cable).  If the mic is hard wired into the beltpack, when a mic goes bad, you lose that actor's mic until you send it out to be repaired.  If you can replace the mic with a spare, you'll be up and running almost immediately. 

UHF:  UHF is a good, affordable way to go.  There aren't many VHF systems available anymore.  If it is not UHF, it's probably a cheaper system.

Antennae Distribution System:  If you are doing a permanent installation, an antenna distribution system can give you better reception, and clear up clutter around your receivers.

In General:

Brand names:  I've always had great luck with Shure mic systems.  Very good quality, very durable (especially when used by students who may take them for granted).  Other brands are very good too.  Avoid really cheap gear.  I've always had great luck with Soundcraft, Yamaha, DBX, and JBL.  Other name brands also make excellent gear.  Ask other theaters around you what they've had good luck with.

Make sure you have a good audio designer help spec out the gear for your space.  School districts often try to save $ by not hiring a good Sound Designer.  In the long run, a good designer will usually help save the district $.  

It's best if you can find a designer who does NOT work for a supplier.  If you have a professional rep, stock or other professional company near you, that might be a good place to go for a reference.  I have worked with suppliers that try to oversell for a space to make more profit.  Also, avoid suppliers that haven't done permanent installs.  

Ask people in your area who they would recommend, and get bids from several suppliers.  Ask for references, and contact theaters where suppliers have done installations. 

Use a local supplier:  Mail order companies can often be cheaper, but if you have a problem, a local supplier will often replace or rent a replacement while your system is being repaired.  Many local suppliers will also send a technician out to help troubleshoot problems, where if you buy from someone 2,00 miles away from you, you may be up the proverbial creek when issues need to be addressed during tech week, or the run of a show. 

Digital Consoles:  Digital consoles are more expensive than analogue consoles, but most have lots of features built in that make them actually cheaper than analogue consoles.  Many have delay, reverb matrix, flange, feedback suppression, compressor/limiter, and many other features built into the digital console.  Also, like a digital lighting console, you can record settings, which really simplifies running a show.  Also, you can record parameters for different event that occur every year in your theatre.  EG: 

A.  Settings for musicals (12 wireless mics, 3 boundaries, orchestra, playback, etc)

B.  Stage Band (4 vocal, 4 for drum kit, keyboard, bass, woodwinds, brass, etc)

C.  Assemblies:  4 - handheld wireless mics, playback, playback for projection feed

D.  Orchestra

E.  Choir (etc)

F.  Straight Plays

Every time the space is used for a different purpose, you call up the settings, and boom, you're at a good place to start tweaking the sound.

Feel free to contact me if you have anything I might be able to help out on.

Hope some of this is helpful!

Bob Fowler

Robert Fowler
    Co-Developer
    Interactive Educational Video, LLC
    Chesterfield MO

• 8.  RE: Mics

Posted 06-08-2015 03:52

We run a mix of digital and UHF mics. About 20 in total for a musical.  The digital we use Line 6, which are compatible with Shure products, for the lead characters and some cheapo Pyle UHF mic (which work surprisingly well) for the ensemble.  

Allen Price
    California MD

• 9.  RE: Mics

Posted 06-09-2015 08:28

Some of the lower end systems work well especially in a value for money equation.

Bodypacks and the microphones that plug into them are inherently fragile - any transmitter pack with an external antenna will eventually have a failure - usually torn off during a frantic costume change.  This can be mitigated if you use transmitter pack belts - the transmitter sits in a pouch in the middle of the belt and the belt is secured around the waist  holing the transmitter in the small of the back.  Shure makes some WA570/WA580 and Bodymics has black neoprene units in 2 sizes (TB20: 24-32" & TB40: 30-44" waist).

Almost all the mic elements that are useful have very fine cables that do not take kindly to abuse - the major problem is when a thespian drops a bodypack while the mic is connected and anchored to their costume/body - this stretches the wires inside the plastic sheath and after a few such mishaps thewires will break - whether you have $500 Countryman's or $20 Pyle's.  The above belts help reduce these accidents.  The other common cause of failure is wrapping the mic cable around the bodypack - I know it makes sense in terms of neatness and keeping "sets" together - but it virtually always puts strain on the cable at the connector. Over the course of a production the wires inside eventually break.

To keep costs down and flexibility up, many of my school clients buy their microphones elements and belts and rent wireless transmitter/receivers.  Over the long haul this can be very cost effective.  If renting from a local source probably stick with the major brands Audio-Technica, Sennheiser, Shure

Rod Reilly
    Somerset NJ