Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  MIRACLE WORKER

Posted 03-10-2015 22:03

Hi, all!

I am mounting THE MIRACLE WORKER and would love some advice about constructing the pump apparatus. I have access to a real iron pump that would be mounted onto the "well." What suggestions do any of you have regarding making it functional...particularly if it doesn't involve using electricity (very difficult to mask extension cords)?

------------------------------
    Nancy Bernhard
    Salinas CA

• 2.  RE: MIRACLE WORKER

Posted 03-11-2015 06:29
    It's been years, but we mounted the pump to two 2x4 that were the top of a box painted to look like stone or brick. The box covered a 5 gallon bucket and a pipe extended down from the pump into the bucket. We filled the bucket with water--I think we had to play around with the levels somewhat to make sure it worked every time. I do remember we had to prime the pump and actually pour water over it before curtain every night. My stage manager made sure it was primed again in intermission so that the last scene had water.

Leslie Weinstein
    Monongahela PA

• 3.  RE: MIRACLE WORKER

Posted 03-11-2015 09:14
    You only need build the base an inch higher than the pipe on the pump. We created a wooden one because many of the old wells had a wood top.  insert a plastic tub use a 2"by 4" or plywood top to secure the pump. Put slats across the rest and it works like magic. A newer pump may not require as much priming but it was common to prime pumps and Anne had a pitcher with water so she primed it as part of the blocking.

Ed Grooms
    Fine Arts Coordinator
    Webster Groves School District
    Ballwin MO

• 4.  RE: MIRACLE WORKER

Posted 03-11-2015 10:19
    We did this many years ago so I don't remember the exact set up, but we had an iron pump from the Sears catalog mounted on a disguised bucket of water. It was sitting over large exposed bucket and the whole thing was mounted on a rolling platform. I hope that helps a little. ------------------------------ Joanne Karr Walnut CA ------------------------------

• 5.  RE: MIRACLE WORKER

Posted 03-11-2015 10:43

I directedThe Miracle Worker last year and our pump did not require any electricity. Go to a store like Menards or Lowes and purchase a garden pump. They cost about $40 if I remember correctly. You will also need a short piece of pvc pipe to attach to the bottom of the pump and a container to hold water. (I used a five gallon bucket.) Mount the pump securely on the "well" and have the pvc pipe go into the container of water. Make sure your container is wide enough to catch the water coming out of the pump to recycle through the system. As you pump the handle, it creates a suction that draws the water up the pvc pipe and out the pump. The water falls back into the bucket and circulates through the system. You will probably want to run a few buckets of water through the system to get rid of anything in the pump that you do not want on your actresses faces, etc. Hope this information helps. I have attached a picture of our pump system.

Ann Hileman
    Indiana Chapter Director
    Peru IN

• 6.  RE: MIRACLE WORKER

Posted 03-12-2015 10:09
    We just did MW in the fall and I got my pump ideas from this website.  Do a search and a wonderful person posted his pictures and directions.  It's really pretty easy and you'll have water without electricity. If you can't find it here, contact me and I'll get you our plans.

Katherine Miller
    Theater Teacher
    Paul VI Catholic High School
    Herndon VA

• 7.  RE: MIRACLE WORKER

Posted 03-12-2015 22:21

Greetings, Katherine!

The link did not come through. You can try sending it directly to my email: nancy.bernhard@salinasuhsd.org, or simply send your plans...if sending them will be simple. 

Thank you so very much!

Nancy

Nancy Bernhard
    Salinas CA