Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Stage Combat with Swords

Posted 11-13-2013 14:44
    Are high schools permitted to teach stage combat with swords these days? When I was teaching this was incorporated in the Theatre curriculum at the same time as our Shakespeare production. But a former student who is now teaching Theatre was told that no weapons of any kind would be permitted in class or on stage (which makes producing quite a few shows very difficult). Is this the new norm or an exception? Thanks!

-------------------------------------------
    Jim Hoare

• 2.  RE:Stage Combat with Swords

Posted 11-14-2013 08:29
    My district allowed the use of PROPS not weapons. And fight choreography had to be done by a qualified member of the fight choreography association. I made the case that if they use a starters pistol for races in sports it should be able to be used on stage with a warning in the program and that there are many science experiments and athletic events had statistically hold far greater risk to far more students. The data is out their on head injuries in football and soccer to back it up! I was also able to show websites that list these products as stage props and not weapons which was helpful. You do have to have the discuss nowadays, but I think that most of the time the teacher can make a strong case for their use.
    Good Luck! Leslie

Leslie Van Leishout
    Theater Education Coordinator
    Southern Illinois University Edwardsville

• 3.  RE:Stage Combat with Swords

Posted 11-15-2013 11:19
    Thank you, Leslie! This is very helpful.

Jim Hoare