Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Desks in the Drama Classroom

Posted 03-06-2015 12:45

I'm curious to know... do you use desks or are you desk less in your classroom? Or do you have a third set up option?

Currently I have folding tables. For units that require writing (play writing, tech design, tests) we put them up. For units that are acting/movement driven, we take them down and stack them. I just hate when I have different set up needs within the same day. It drives me crazy taking the tables and chairs down and up.

What do you do? I'm leaning toward getting rid of the tables all together, but not sure how to handle days where we will take notes and do written work.

------------------------------
    Nicole Pedroche
    Drama Teacher
    Covina CA

• 2.  RE: Desks in the Drama Classroom

Posted 03-06-2015 12:55

I have three desk/chair combinations and a stepped, carpeted classroom with a ledger space down front. I have a large bin of pillows which the kids grab and sit on (I take the pillows home every 5 or 6 weeks and wash them). Those who want a desk (3) can use one if they wish, but if none are available, they sit on the floor. I have clipboards hanging on the wall, so when/if we write, there is one for everyone who wants it. My students all have iPads, so many don't use clipboards. With written tests, critiques etc, kids find places to nest and do their work. When we need large space, we just stand up!

Most kids can't wait to get to my room because I don't have desks. In middle school, sitting on the floor is still seen as fun (plus, we're up on our feet a lot anyway).

Hope this helps....

Ron Wells

• 3.  RE: Desks in the Drama Classroom

Posted 03-06-2015 13:56

I am a deskless classroom (minus a single desk that seniors sign when they graduate). I have about 30 stackable chairs ( and 6 kindergarten chairs) which are available if the kids want to sit down. They are also allowed to sit on the floor if they prefer. When there are written components in the class the kids grab their binders or one of the few table we have for class performance use. I don't have a large space, so I've found that this works best for me. The chairs are stacked at the end of each class period. This way the last class of the day isn't the only one stacking, the chairs are out of the way if we are doing movement work, and it just looks neater.

I really like having no desks in the room. It helps the kids understand on a more visceral level that this isn't a "normal" classroom. I find that they are more comfortable trying new things. 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: Desks in the Drama Classroom

Posted 03-08-2015 21:53
    I have been teaching for more than 20 years & have tried several different configurations with desks, tables, etc. I have found that I prefer not having any desks or tables. I do a lot of work that requires movement & space. I like the flexibility of being able to use the room in a variety of ways. I do have a class set of stackable chairs that the students stack at the end of each class if we use them. For writing work, I have a class set of clipboards that the students use. ------------------------------ Jeana Whitaker Theatre Director Mesa AZ ------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Desks in the Drama Classroom

Posted 03-11-2015 08:43
    Anyone else have to share their classroom with another subject? My space is shared with choir, so there are additional challenges associated with that.... Mostly getting the choirs to stack their chairs after class! ------------------------------ Theresa Weiler Speech and Drama Teacher, Head of Forensics, Theatre Associate Detroit Country Day Middle School Beverly Hills MI ------------------------------

• 6.  RE: Desks in the Drama Classroom

Posted 03-07-2015 05:44
    I have folding desks. For a typical day the desks are not set up.

Elyse Tomlinson

• 7.  RE: Desks in the Drama Classroom

Posted 03-09-2015 01:01
    I also use folding chairs with desks attached. I can use then in rows, in a circle, or store them on a rack to clear the floor. They are also much less expensive than regular desks. ------------------------------ Jodi Improta Fine Arts Department Chair Fullerton CA ------------------------------