Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Rolling Drops

Posted 03-05-2015 14:54

Hello,

I am planning a production of The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, and I'd like to be able to use at least two backdrops - one for winter in Narnia and then a spring one for when the snow melts. 

However, we have no fly space.  I was wondering if anyone has had success with rigging rented drops (like from Grosh or similar companies) so that they can roll up/down? 

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Lee Daugherty
    Mt. Vernon High School
    Alexandria VA

• 2.  RE: Rolling Drops

Posted 03-06-2015 06:52
    Have you thought about using periactois? All you need to do is build a triangular base with sides as long as the width of your flat, put wheels on the bottom and attach your painted flats. You'll also have to connect them at the top. ------------------------------ Cindy Henry Teacher USD 461 Neodesha KS ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Rolling Drops

Posted 03-06-2015 13:20
    I wish I could remember which company sold a roll drop kit- bottom aluminum tube and all hardware and rope. I'll try to look it up later. The problem with large rental drops is that they a too wide and would not be supported in the middle. 18' or so wide drops can roll well. ------------------------------ Phillip Rayher Director, Theatre Dept. Ruth Asawa San Francisco School of the Arts San Francisco CA ------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Rolling Drops

Posted 03-06-2015 14:53

Bill Raoul's Stock Scenery Construction Handbook has a section on roll drops.

Some websites:

http://www.studio-productions-inc.com/white_papers/wp_oleo_olio_rolldropmain.html

http://www.theatreface.com/group/sceneryandprops/forum/topics/roll-drop

That was all we used in high school but that was so long ago I don't remember how we rigged it.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 5.  RE: Rolling Drops

Posted 03-07-2015 09:19

We used a roll drop for a painted scrim for Camelot a few years ago, and we actually used 6" PVC for the tube.  Our span was 32', so we had 38 feet of pipe in the air and our height was 16 feet.  Keep in mind,  If you use PVC pipe, you'll have to join the pipe with some sort of wooden block to serve as in interior pipe splice to get the length you want.

I've also used a piece of irrigation pipe, which I believe was aluminum.  Sorry to say, I don't remember the width.  I would think 30' or so.  I think the height was pretty decent, say 24' or so.

They're a lot of fun to put together and a good project, but the rented drop weight, length and height would be a concern for me.  I've never rigged a roll drop greater than 30 feet or so.  And then, they were painted on medium or light weight muslin.

Another option you might consider is to get some curtain track and simply rig the rented drop to park on the off stage side of the track.  In this way, when drop "A" goes left, drop "B" will pull on stage.  That might be a better option for you and we know that would work.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC